4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

After the S/C whats next.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:04 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

just get an MMR shortblock, or a lightning motor that would be cool
Old 05-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
The results of that guy and his kenne bell on the canned tune are not typical of an entry level blower kit on a stock bottom end 2v. Especially not the case when running a centri kit. There was probably something wrong with that motor to begin with. It's hard to really take what he said with any weight also since his story seemed to change a bit depending on who he was talking to and what forum he was on.

Edit: not to mention he won't be anywhere near that
much torque with an entry level vortech kit on low boost
Ohhh Vortechs force that special safe air into the engine I see I see. What do you mean by "entry level"? If this thing doesnt have an intercooler it will most certainly be unsafe and a waste of money.

Certainly not a thing wrong with a 4.6L 2V thats smoking C6 Vettes and that doesnt ping or knock one little bit up until it blows.

OP I'll say it again some guys run their stock bottom end 2V 4.6L for 3 years with no problems and some blow it up in 3 months. Theres one thing thats indisputable and thats the fact that you are on the edge. Which is why it doesn't make sense to get ported heads at all. Why would you spend the money working your heads when your supercharger has room for plenty more PSI? You like paying twice for power? All you would have to do is bump the PSI up to get more power easy. You get ported heads when your supercharger is spinning at its max RPM and you want more power. And if your supercharger is running max RPMs you either have a built shortblock or an exploded stock shortblock. So you spend the money porting your heads just to have it blow up anyways while leaving half the supercharger's capability on the table? Think about this.......
Old 05-02-2010, 03:14 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

I am partial to MPH.
MPH is closed
Old 05-02-2010, 04:36 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
MPH is closed
They are now In business with Mr Norm operating under Mr. Norms garage in Illinois. You can still get all their parts.

edit: I guess I should have made it more clear

Last edited by tbirdscwd; 05-02-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:18 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
Ohhh Vortechs force that special safe air into the engine I see I see. What do you mean by "entry level"? If this thing doesnt have an intercooler it will most certainly be unsafe and a waste of money.

Certainly not a thing wrong with a 4.6L 2V thats smoking C6 Vettes and that doesnt ping or knock one little bit up until it blows.

OP I'll say it again some guys run their stock bottom end 2V 4.6L for 3 years with no problems and some blow it up in 3 months. Theres one thing thats indisputable and thats the fact that you are on the edge. Which is why it doesn't make sense to get ported heads at all. Why would you spend the money working your heads when your supercharger has room for plenty more PSI? You like paying twice for power? All you would have to do is bump the PSI up to get more power easy. You get ported heads when your supercharger is spinning at its max RPM and you want more power. And if your supercharger is running max RPMs you either have a built shortblock or an exploded stock shortblock. So you spend the money porting your heads just to have it blow up anyways while leaving half the supercharger's capability on the table? Think about this.......

Look.....I'm not gonna get into a pissing contest over this but, There is a big difference between an s-trim running 8-10 psi and a KB running the same pressure. Just look at the difference in the torque curves. That vid you posted showed a guy with a stock "canned" KB tune running on a setup that Kenne Bell tells customers specifically not to run with their tune. That aside, an 8-10 psi s-trim will make nowhere near that much torque. There will always be a few guys that blow their motors at relatively low power levels compared to others. Hell, there are guys that have blown their motors naturally aspirated with basically stock power. That doesn't mean it's common.

"Entry Level" meaning he is not talking about running a YSI, F-1A, novi-2000 or big KB. The point is, with running low boost he will be fine unless he gets a crappy tune. Even on a built bottom end, a crappy tune will kill your motor eventually.

And if you read my previous post I clearly stated that ported heads are a complete waste of money in his situation. That's not to say they will hurt his motor running the same amount of air through his stock heads. They will decrease the stress on his motor, no question about it, so will his cams.

Edit: after the s/c, I still vote suspension and tires.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Look.....I'm not gonna get into a pissing contest over this but, There is a big difference between an s-trim running 8-10 psi and a KB running the same pressure. Just look at the difference in the torque curves. That vid you posted showed a guy with a stock "canned" KB tune running on a setup that Kenne Bell tells customers specifically not to run with their tune. That aside, an 8-10 psi s-trim will make nowhere near that much torque. There will always be a few guys that blow their motors at relatively low power levels compared to others. Hell, there are guys that have blown their motors naturally aspirated with basically stock power. That doesn't mean it's common.

"Entry Level" meaning he is not talking about running a YSI, F-1A, novi-2000 or big KB. The point is, with running low boost he will be fine unless he gets a crappy tune. Even on a built bottom end, a crappy tune will kill your motor eventually.

And if you read my previous post I clearly stated that ported heads are a complete waste of money in his situation. That's not to say they will hurt his motor running the same amount of air through his stock heads. They will decrease the stress on his motor, no question about it, so will his cams.

Edit: after the s/c, I still vote suspension and tires.
Fair enough.