4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

living proof, 78mm T/B is NOT too big for N/A :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 01:09 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

ill still take my 70mm set up over 78mm n e day.. I personally think its overkill for most cars. If you dont need 3" exhaust piping I doubt you need 78mm of induction.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:51 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
ill still take my 70mm set up over 78mm n e day.. I personally think its overkill for most cars. If you dont need 3" exhaust piping I doubt you need 78mm of induction.
Yeah, I've heard similar statements a few times. Not really based on anything other than opinion though. It's a much better deal than even the cheapest tb/plenum combo too.

Last edited by tbirdscwd; 05-03-2010 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:52 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

meh, the day i lose to a full bolt on car with a 75+mm tb.. ill change my mind.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:07 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

70mm vs 75mm tb will never be the deciding factor in a race LOL
Old 05-03-2010, 03:09 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Do cams count as bolt ons?? if so, I'll race you and change your mind
Old 05-03-2010, 11:10 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

yeah what u pushin hos? haha
Old 05-03-2010, 11:42 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Not even full bolt ons. But iv never lost to a car that had a 75mm or the super hardcore racer 78mm... which should tell you.. that they are just a gimmick. Unless your pushing crazy amounts of power your not going to get anything more from it than any other tb. Id rather have a properly sized 70mm and have that bish suckin like a dyson than a oversized 78mm and gain 1 peak hp and it not suck in air as hard.

I just know that iv raced a lot of cars with true "full bolt ons" (i dont have pulleys or a cai) and iv never lost from a roll... which should show you the true faster car. if there really was any benefit to the bigger sizes on an n/a car.. I should have lost to every coupe. The only variables are the weight of the cars(mines heavier) and the tunes, and i would hope im not a better tuner than a professional shop.. that would be sad.

So I stick to my claims... the BBK part is just a gimmick to get the bigger is better mindset people to buy another cheapo bbk product.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:50 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Not even full bolt ons. But iv never lost to a car that had a 75mm or the super hardcore racer 78mm... which should tell you.. that they are just a gimmick. Unless your pushing crazy amounts of power your not going to get anything more from it than any other tb. Id rather have a properly sized 70mm and have that bish suckin like a dyson than a oversized 78mm and gain 1 peak hp and it not suck in air as hard.

I just know that iv raced a lot of cars with true "full bolt ons" (i dont have pulleys or a cai) and iv never lost from a roll... which should show you the true faster car. if there really was any benefit to the bigger sizes on an n/a car.. I should have lost to every coupe. The only variables are the weight of the cars(mines heavier) and the tunes, and i would hope im not a better tuner than a professional shop.. that would be sad.

So I stick to my claims... the BBK part is just a gimmick to get the bigger is better mindset people to buy another cheapo bbk product.
well if it makes you feel any better I did NOT buy the 78mm for N/A, I bought it to go on for my Vortech. I just got bored and decided to put it on ahead of time, and to my surprise, the thing feels awesome. Maybe there is a point where it is "to big" but I am 100% confident that 78mm is not hindering me in any way/shape/form to say the least.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:11 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Damn hoss.......that's just too bad that you really think your smaller TB is giving you the winning edge. There might not be much to be gained from increasing to a 75mm tb, but it won't "kill n/a power." there is more of a difference in power from car to car simply based on the cam timing being off from the factory than a different sized tb could ever make. I think the only instance where a 75mm tb wouldn't that beneficial is if you were running a stock plenum with a 75 and would therefore have a huge step down in diameter size causing turbulence in the intake flow.

The point is, 75mm may not give "substantial" gains on an N/A car vs a 70mm, but it certainly isn't out there killing everyone's power who does not have a blower or turbo. 75mm+ throttle bodies are not the Ted Bundy of N/A power as everyone with a 70mm will lead you to believe.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:36 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
Damn hoss.......that's just too bad that you really think your smaller TB is giving you the winning edge. There might not be much to be gained from increasing to a 75mm tb, but it won't "kill n/a power." there is more of a difference in power from car to car simply based on the cam timing being off from the factory than a different sized tb could ever make. I think the only instance where a 75mm tb wouldn't that beneficial is if you were running a stock plenum with a 75 and would therefore have a huge step down in diameter size causing turbulence in the intake flow.

The point is, 75mm may not give "substantial" gains on an N/A car vs a 70mm, but it certainly isn't out there killing everyone's power who does not have a blower or turbo. 75mm+ throttle bodies are not the Ted Bundy of N/A power as everyone with a 70mm will lead you to believe.
Obviously you missed the point. I dont think my 70mm is givving me the winning edge... im saying that there is zero benefit to having anything larger than 70mm for an n/a aplication

Quick Reply: living proof, 78mm T/B is NOT too big for N/A :)