4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

getting dyno tuned tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 05:05 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dimebag
Recently it has been realized that the stock cam gears aren't as far off as we think...thry aren't perfect but they're just part of the problem. The real issue is that the cam manufacurers can deffinatly guarentee that all the lobes are in sync w one another...but thry can't promis that they are 100% in sync with the keyway...therefore adj cam gears are needed.

Sorry for the **** typing...im posting from my phone
So, are you saying that they can garauntee the cams will come with the same specs as advertised or what's on the cam card? Because my cams actually came from Bullet at a 115 ICL and a 117 ICL. I mean that's a huge difference.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:07 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

yeah dude what #'s are you expecting? My numbers are pretty much the same mods, minus the 78mm T/B (which is on the car now). Im curious what that T/B will do for the cams.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:10 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Really??? I just did mine a month ago. I'm not sure what's up here. According to Nick it's not just Bullet with the issues. Comp, and the other major grinders have these issues as well. Although, from what i gather mine were a little farther out of spec than most.

Originally Posted by dimebag
Recently it has been realized that the stock cam gears aren't as far off as we think...thry aren't perfect but they're just part of the problem. The real issue is that the cam manufacurers can deffinatly guarentee that all the lobes are in sync w one another...but thry can't promis that they are 100% in sync with the keyway...therefore adj cam gears are needed.

Sorry for the **** typing...im posting from my phone
Yeah, 5* and 7* seems ridiculous IMO. That's borderline unacceptable. I can't believe that cam grinding companies are letting variances like that leave the door. I can't be that hard to just align the damn things before you cut the keyways.

typing forgiven LOL. I'm glad I'm not the only forum junkie that checks threads on their cell phone!
Old 05-03-2010, 05:21 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I agree...it is ridiculous. You should get what you pay for right? But considering that it's a somewhat common occurrence with all grinders, what are your options really. You know what i mean?
Old 05-03-2010, 05:22 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
Yeah, 5* and 7* seems ridiculous IMO. That's borderline unacceptable. I can't believe that cam grinding companies are letting variances like that leave the door. I can't be that hard to just align the damn things before you cut the keyways.

typing forgiven LOL. I'm glad I'm not the only forum junkie that checks threads on their cell phone!
haha, I am on MF.com on my blackberry at work and at school lol. only thing that sucks is I can post (w/out a sig), but I cant create new threads
Old 05-03-2010, 05:28 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
I agree...it is ridiculous. You should get what you pay for right? But considering that it's a somewhat common occurrence with all grinders, what are your options really. You know what i mean?
Yeah, if they all do it, there really are no other options. Just is asinine that major machine shops are delivering products that far off from specs. Especially when every .001" matters with these motors. Good thing timing/crank gears have the ability to correct their half-assed work.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:31 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

I was alwas on on my bb...u can create threads...
Old 05-03-2010, 05:35 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

iPhone FTW, it's just like being on the compy except a bit slower!!!! Sorry OP, way off track.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:35 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0949er
yeah dude what #'s are you expecting? My numbers are pretty much the same mods, minus the 78mm T/B (which is on the car now). Im curious what that T/B will do for the cams.
after checking out alot stuff online am hoping for 280-290 i wouldnt really expect any more than that
Old 05-03-2010, 06:45 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

You should make 280+ with a bump in compression and those cams. MRT made 284rwhp and 300rwtq, but no bump in compression.

Quick Reply: getting dyno tuned tomorrow!