4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

failed inspection =[

Old 05-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Lol Iwasjusplayingdawg. haha, Seriously there is no required inspections here in Mi. That would suck failing a inspection like that, I would look for a Mechanic that does not care and would give you the thumbs up.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:57 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Your car needs to meet certain requirements before it passes will take bumper to bumper, city, and highway driving after a few cycles to pass! Good luck!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:01 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

back on topic: (OP isn't in Mi, moving on haha)

How far did you get w/ the battery connected? Did you remove the plug from the computer? Did you unhook anything?

I wouldn't freak out just yet...
Old 05-03-2010, 11:09 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

i removed the 3 bolts holding that metal bracket that holds all of the quick connect things in front of the ecu...then started loosening the ground wire bolt when i remembered the battery...so i disconnected the battery and continued on...so nothing actually got unplugged...started undoing the negative by the ecu but didnt actually take it off...when u did ur install did u disconnect the battery completely or just disconnect the negative like the instructions said, i just did the negative.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Shotgun Love
3rd Gear Member

do you think it might have something to do with having long tubes?
Old 05-03-2010, 11:23 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

nope, the exhaust came on the car when i bought it and it passed inspection with em the first time..its something within the time ive owned it and ive only done the shift light, tb plenum spacer, linelock, and the rear..then a tune...so im assuming its the tune or the fact the ecu had to be unplugged to do the shift light.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:15 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

yeah your ECU shouldn't of been damaged by what you did.... I don't see it being THAT sensitive. Yeah I just unplugged the negative terminal. Its got to be your tune then... I don't see anything else having that effect on your computer.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:41 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Well while it is not "likely" that your ECU was damaged, it certainly is possible. Removing the ground for just a split second as you began loosening the bolt would create a floating potential in the ECU. BUT, since the ignition was off, you shouldn't have done any damage. That being said, do you have an autozone near you? Have them try to connect their scan tool to it and see if it communicates properly and says no codes are present. Also, and this is a waaaaaaay long shot, but get some contact cleaner or MAF cleaner-anything that evaporates quickly and won't harm plastic- and spray it in the OBD2 port and then spray it out with some canned air. I actually had an issue similar to this with another vehicle, and cleaning it out solved the issue. Just a thought.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Fizzics Boy
3rd Gear Member

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it is your tune. NJ changed the computer system they use to scan the car during the emissions test. This was done maybe a month ago. The only way it will pass now is if you put the factory tune back on the car, or a canned tune from SCT or Diablosport. Any sort of custom tune where things start getting turned off will cause you to fail.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Snitz
1st Gear Member

fizzics is right, my friend had a problem with this when he had a custom tune on his, he needed to change it back to stock in order for the states system to be able to run the scan.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: failed inspection =[