4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Not sure if this is good or bad...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Default Not sure if this is good or bad...

Well, I was messing with the "Garage" function the other day and realized that I had not updated my "Garage" in about a year in a half. I kind of looked over the information I had posted and had this epiphany. Over the past year and a half I have done a significant amount of stuff to my car. I am a college student and I have paid cash for everything, no loans, no credit cards, no borrowing money from people, etc. I was really kind of shocked at how much stuff I have really changed about the car from day 1 when I first got it. I still don't know if its good or bad that I have been able to put so much time, energy, and money into this car.

Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely thrilled with where my car is, but I honestly kind of feel guilty that I was able to transform my car from pretty much stock to where it is today in such a short amount of time. Its like, is it a good thing that I was able to do all of this? Is it bad that I have planned, and saved, and worked extra hours to put one thing on my car after another instead of perhaps building up my car over multiple years? I haven't quite decided yet.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Live for today , not tomorrow. I couldn't care less about blowing my money on my car, I mean if the priorities of your funds should be absolutely focused on something life changing then I would be worried. It is just money, so the more you spend the more you can always make back.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:08 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Here is the way I look at it, everybody has a hobby. I am also a college student.. and have dropped ungodly amounts of money into my mustang. Money that I guess needy families would do anything for... but you know what, thats just how it is I guess. I worked my *** off for everything I own... and if I only have a mustang GT to show for it... f---- it. The thrill I get from my mustang superseeds anything else I Could of spent the money on. Hell, I could of just put this 5-6k into a savings account... but how fun is that??? I mean, you only live once... you got to have a little fun. Dont feel guilty. Feel lucky. And just don't rub it in like a cocky bastard that some of us are haha. Appreciate what you got, and that's about all you can ask for. As long as you are not buying stuff with money you dont have (like loans and such) and can actually afford it, good for you. Put first things first, according to the magical Covey. (haha, gay *** book I had to read for engineering called "Coveys 7 habits of highly effective people", Cliff probably knows what I am talking about)

Last edited by 0949er; 05-03-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:15 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr Graystang
Live for today , not tomorrow. I couldn't care less about blowing my money on my car, I mean if the priorities of your funds should be absolutely focused on something life changing then I would be worried. It is just money, so the more you spend the more you can always make back.
Its not so much that I spent X amount of dollars. I am not worried about that. If I didn't have the cash to blow I wouldn't have spent it in the first place. Its more, how quickly I have been able to achieve my goals. A lot of people seem to want to do this or do that to their car but never actually do it, or it takes forever. I am not sure if the fact that I have been able to do everything thus far so quickly is a good thing. I think maybe I am just more addicted to modding then a lot of people are
Old 05-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

I would actually feel a lot better about achieving a goal quicker so I will be able to move on to another.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr Graystang
I would actually feel a lot better about achieving a goal quicker so I will be able to move on to another.
LOL yeah. From October to Now roughly 8 months I have been able to put on my FR500 rims, 01 Cobra front bumper, Bullitt/Mach 1 C-Pillars, Vortech V2 supercharger setup (injectors, blow through maf, spark plugs, fuel pump, intercooler, bov), Lakewood 70/30 struts, UPR Coil Overs, 14/175lb Coil Over springs, Maximum Motorsports CC plates, and Maximum Motorsports XD LCA's. I guess in the end I just kind of feel guilty for being able to do all this stuff. But oh god when I look at the car does it bring a smile to my face... I really need to get some updated pictures of my car . The picture in my sig is so outdated.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

You must be looking for an 'attaboy'. Well, attaboy!

"Cocaine's a helluva drug."
Old 05-04-2010, 07:56 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kerns
LOL yeah. From October to Now roughly 8 months I have been able to put on my FR500 rims, 01 Cobra front bumper, Bullitt/Mach 1 C-Pillars, Vortech V2 supercharger setup (injectors, blow through maf, spark plugs, fuel pump, intercooler, bov), Lakewood 70/30 struts, UPR Coil Overs, 14/175lb Coil Over springs, Maximum Motorsports CC plates, and Maximum Motorsports XD LCA's. I guess in the end I just kind of feel guilty for being able to do all this stuff. But oh god when I look at the car does it bring a smile to my face... I really need to get some updated pictures of my car . The picture in my sig is so outdated.
I did the same thing when i was in school, mostly because I was working two jobs, more than 60 hrs a week, and my rent was rolled into my tuition as student loans because I was in school-sponsored housing. Enjoy it while you can...I put about 10k$ into my ranger in after market, then sold it for 9k$ and bought this mustang and then an explorer. I just bought a house in December, and a 24k$ tractor for the property last month(only paid 16,500$ for it though!). I am getting married tomorrow, and we are working on paying down my wife's student loans as well, then she is going back to school next year hoepfully to finish and get her RN. I have a giant list of things I wanted to do to my car, and now I can't hardly afford to keep it on the road because of other things that need to come first. It's all about priorities in life. At different stages in life, you will have different priorities. You certainly don't need to feel bad about it. Myself for example, I will not be able to mod my car again for a few years likely, but that's OK. I have a lot of other things to be proud of. For someone my age, who was given nothing, and worked for everything, I am doing damn good. So, again, feel proud about your accomplishments, and APPRECIATE them, as they may not be able to continue as your life's priorities change. OK no more soap box I'm done lol.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:24 AM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

Now its time to sell it and see how all of the money u put in to it is gone, and u probably get about 20% of the money youput in mods back lol
But thats my problem i wont put to muc money in a car cause im never happy... always wanting something better
1st car 99 camaro v6
2nd 98 mustang gt (exhaust cai)
3rd 99 mustang gt (exhaust, intake, lowered, rims)
4th 02 mustang gt (all the stuff below)
and now wanting a cobra mach 1 or vette... and im only 20 hahah
Old 05-04-2010, 11:33 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02stang2113
Now its time to sell it and see how all of the money u put in to it is gone, and u probably get about 20% of the money youput in mods back lol
But thats my problem i wont put to muc money in a car cause im never happy... always wanting something better
1st car 99 camaro v6
2nd 98 mustang gt (exhaust cai)
3rd 99 mustang gt (exhaust, intake, lowered, rims)
4th 02 mustang gt (all the stuff below)
and now wanting a cobra mach 1 or vette... and im only 20 hahah
Tell me about it! My ranger MSRP'd for 26k$, I bought it for 17k$, helluva deal. It was 4 years later and a different motor and trans, suspension work, lots of custom shiz, very goo condition, 60k miles, etc etc. It was nice ok? I did a KBB price report and a normal ranger was valued at 14k for trade in at the time. So I figure mine would atleast be worth 16k right? Wrong...

I went to the dealer and said, i want to trade my truck in, what'll ya give me. He looked it over, read my extensive parts list, and came back with...get this...8,500$...

I'm like OMG WTF FML this is BS! lol. I literally sat there, jaw dropped, and said what the FU**!? He's like excuse me? I explained the values I found and all the work I did to it and he said simply, its a modified vehicle, I'll have to wholesale it cuz no one will buy it. So...I tried selling privately, didnt happen, went back to the guy and got him up to 9,000$. I stripped half the crap off though after he made the deal lol.

Quick Reply: Not sure if this is good or bad...