4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

IRStupid...IRS questions(Aereon and 2000AZ get in hur)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 06:34 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

The diff brace is more for cornering and not for straight line acceleration. Pushing the irs hard into corners repeatedly will cause the cover to become fatigued and break. This is due to aluminum not being able to flex as much over time as steel. Does not really matter how much hp you have. If you replace the cover with a aftermarket one, and it is aluminum, you may still be in the same boat.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:33 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

btw, which year irs are you using?
Old 05-06-2010, 12:21 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by 01snake
Upr is garbage....

The diff brace keeps the pumpkin from exploding its still a safety feature id do

I dont think i'll have a problem with that being low quality i think...but i could be wrong. And with a new diff cover like the UPR or LPW, you do not need a differential brace, nor would one fit with the new diff cover.

Now to answer the questions. I'll be swapping in an 03 cobra IRS into the car and the guy is giving me his tailpipes from his current catback and we're just going to rig them to use my current mufflers until i find an IRS catback that I wanna buy or something. Im using flowmaster muffers and his catback is a flowmaster catback as well. Thought about getting flowmaster 10 series custom fit to the IRS tailpipes so i dont ruin the IRS tailpipes by bending them to fit with my current mufflers, but i dont think im gonna do that.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

I would stay away from UPR for anything relating to handling..

Do your bushings before you install the IRS, it'll save you a ton of headaches later on. The IRS will still bolt right in, go get steel braided brake lines for the car. If I remember correctly the IRS lines are slightly longer, I am unsure of this since we just dropped the whole SRA and IRS and pushed it over.

The swap took me 15 hours since we did not have a lift, breaker bars, impact wrenches. With a jack it took a ton of finesse to line up all the holes to get the bolts through, then one of the nuts rolled into the car's frame and we couldn't get it out so we had to get a replacement.. all in all it was a nightmare swap lols.

I had to swap over my slp lmI's to the cobra because of how the piping would be if he kept his magnaflow mufflers. The cobra mufflers are offset in/out while my slps were bullet style.

Last edited by Aereon; 05-06-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:56 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Well its not exactly anything for handling, just a machined piece of aluminum to replace that paper thin stock diff cover. But for right now, I cant afford the bushing kit, which sucks because that was the original plan but funds ran short. So busings will definitely be next, followed by front coilovers and all that fun stuff, then the coilovers and adj tie rod ends and swaybar end links. And we are doing the swap in a performance shop, and we're doing all the dampers and brakes at the same time too. So we have access to everything we need for install. And about the brake lines...no funds for them. Those will come eventually.

For the exhaust we are just gonna try to use my catback minus the tailpipes and make the IRS tailpipes fit the current midpipe-to-tailpipe section.

Last edited by teej281; 05-07-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:03 AM
crash
BrandofPoop

Damn teej, I'm gone for two weeks and look what you've gotten yourself into lol...congrats and let me know how it feels. GL
Old 05-07-2010, 10:17 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Most definitely will crash. Im hoping that this thing is gonna handle better and ride better. Thats the goal, then when i start adding stuff to the suspension i hope that it handles on rails and still maintains the ride quality and can surprise some bimmers and mr2's.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

if you want to use your mufflers you will have to weld on dumps. Solid axle mufflers will not work with an irs period. For an IRS the muffler has to have the inlet and outlet on the same side, not offset.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Heh, teej if you were local I'd let ya try out my car. It's not on rails but definitely fun=P
Old 05-07-2010, 03:09 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Well with all the suspension stuff on it it better handle like its on rails when its done or i'll be TICKED!!! lol but I think she'll do good and pull some decent g's in the corners. I might try to see if the guy thats helping with the install and providing the shop to do the install has some mufflers laying around or can get a hold of for cheap til i get a new catback.

Quick Reply: IRStupid...IRS questions(Aereon and 2000AZ get in hur)