4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Suspension Opinions... Need the rear slammed

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 10:37 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Default Suspension Opinions... Need the rear slammed

I have finally decided that my stang needs to be slammed... Our cars look the best when they are slammed, especially with a nice deep dish peeking out from under the wheel well. So i was trying to think of what i should get in order to do this the right way... I am not too into the whole coilover idea for the rear considering that MM doesn't recommend a rear CO kit for DD cars bc it will give a much harsher ride? So i was thinking about getting some bilstein shocks for $100 each and cutting some stock rear springs to get the drop i want out back... Good idea? Bad Idea? I know it's best to have coilovers to get the ride height i want, but i'm not looking for a harsh ride at all.

As for the front, i plan on going with some 03/04 coupe bilstein struts and getting either a UPR or MM CO kit... UPR is $270ish and MM is like $370... So then i will tuck the wheels inside the fenders a little bit to totally eliminate wheel gap and i will throw a #325 spring on there...

As for my MM CC plates, i have the bumpstops on there since tokico's don't have internal bumpstops like the bilsteins do. So what is the method to remove these bumpstops? They are part of the cc plates i assume? Are they easy to remove or are they difficult?

Also, am i going to need a bumpsteer kit with how low i intend on going?

Do you guys think that these shocks/struts will be able to handle the drop that i am planning on doing?
Old 05-06-2010, 09:56 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

I think that 350 spring will be stiff and a "harsh" ride....so would cut rear springs...maybe a tad softer in the front and just a lowering spring in the back
Old 05-06-2010, 12:58 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Dime, you realize that front lowering springs are in the range of 650-700lb springs right? He is cutting the spring rate by around half, so the ride will be much better and still have better wheel rate. Now for the rear, try to find an IRS and then coilover that. lol i mean the IRS will give you a much better ride to begin with and then run either coilovers or cut stock cobra springs. but rear coilovers they say wouldnt improve ride, even though you can run like a 200lb spring and still get better handling and you could go less for better ride. But they say when youre going to go over a steep incline you might get flex in the spring and hear a pop noise. But everyone that i've talked to that has them has had them on the street and they are perfectly quiet and no noise or ride comfort issues that i've heard.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:39 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

An IRS is definitely out of the question... So are you suggesting that rear coilovers are OK to do? Bc i might consider it with some bilstein shocks that come machined for the coil overs from MM... They are only like $127 each... I just want to know if these bilstein shocks/struts can handle excess lowering.. When i say i am going low, i mean it. I am tucking the tires inside the fenders slightly... There is a big cost benefit to just doing a cut rear spring in the rear though... I would imagine it wouldn't ride TOO stiff bc i won't be increasing spring rate by THAT much, and the Heavy Duty Bilstein shocks out back should compensate for the ride height i would think, no?

I know that the #325 up front will give me a firm ride, but I don't think that it will bug me... Many people think the 325 up front is stiff, others think it's loose... So i think it might just be the perfect spring for me.

Can anybody answer my questions in the original post about the bumpsteer kit and the bumpstops?
Old 05-06-2010, 05:38 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Well when you think about it...your stock springs have a higher spring rate than those do...so you should get a softer ride with lighter springs. but i dont know about the bump stops or bumpsteer kit man.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:36 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

the reason the spring rate on the stock and lowering springs are so much more than coilovers is the position of the spring. the stock position is closer to the pivot point of the arm requiring a stiffer spring while the coilover is farther from the pivot point so it can use a lesser rate to have the same ride as a stock spring. think of it as a breaker bar vs a regular ratchet
Old 05-06-2010, 06:41 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

You mean you need less spring rate to get the same handling, not ride correct? Because a lighter lb spring should ride better. Unless ride is based on wheel rate, which i didnt think it did.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:07 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

http://www.crazymustang.com/images/c...n-P2280001.jpg

see how the spring perch is half way between the pivotpoint and the spindle(the coilover and strut is connected to the spindle) the force from the wheel pushes up on the spindle using the arm as a swing, pivotting at the k-member. if the wheel provides 500lbs of pressure, its still bout 500lbs at the spindle but increases the closer it gets to the pivot point. the stock spring perch may be around 1000lbs of pressure when the wheel may be only 500lbs.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:12 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
I have finally decided that my stang needs to be slammed... Our cars look the best when they are slammed, especially with a nice deep dish peeking out from under the wheel well. So i was trying to think of what i should get in order to do this the right way... I am not too into the whole coilover idea for the rear considering that MM doesn't recommend a rear CO kit for DD cars bc it will give a much harsher ride? So i was thinking about getting some bilstein shocks for $100 each and cutting some stock rear springs to get the drop i want out back... Good idea? Bad Idea? I know it's best to have coilovers to get the ride height i want, but i'm not looking for a harsh ride at all.

As for the front, i plan on going with some 03/04 coupe bilstein struts and getting either a UPR or MM CO kit... UPR is $270ish and MM is like $370... So then i will tuck the wheels inside the fenders a little bit to totally eliminate wheel gap and i will throw a #325 spring on there...

As for my MM CC plates, i have the bumpstops on there since tokico's don't have internal bumpstops like the bilsteins do. So what is the method to remove these bumpstops? They are part of the cc plates i assume? Are they easy to remove or are they difficult?

Also, am i going to need a bumpsteer kit with how low i intend on going?

Do you guys think that these shocks/struts will be able to handle the drop that i am planning on doing?
go with a fox body shock made for a drop but buy a quaility strut/shock combo. spring setup sounds fine but go 300lb fronts
Old 05-06-2010, 07:20 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

What you said is confusing me. So if the wheel gets 500lb of force, the spring is getting 1000lbs of pressure in the stock location and somewhere around 550lbs of pressure with the coilovers, but this means better ride correct??? Seeing that the spring is getting a lot less pressure??? Am i correct???

Quick Reply: Suspension Opinions... Need the rear slammed