4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Please help Ran out of gas now it will not start

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 06:17 AM
atrain59
1st Gear Member

Default Please help Ran out of gas now it will not start

After work this morning at "5am" i was taking a buddy home new i needed gas and the closest one was by my buddys house so as i was going up a hill my car just died. So im like **** well i had my buddy with me and his gf was at his house she brought us about 3 gallons of gas. So i go to start the car and it would not start i tried about 10 times to get it to start. My buddy thinks that i vapor locked it i do not know what that is. Also when i truned the car over i didnt here the fuel pump so could the fuel pump just went out or did i **** something up really bad. We are going to work on it today when we get some sleep but i was just wanting to get some insight on the deal if any one knows anything please let me know
Old 05-09-2010, 09:03 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

isnt there a reset button in your trunk for the fuel pump???
Old 05-09-2010, 09:14 AM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

thats what I was thinking
Old 05-09-2010, 11:07 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

yeah try resetting the fuel pump, its on the drivers side in the trunk If I remember correctally (behind the trunk lining, near the tailight)

If that does not work, just try adding a tad bit more gas... I seem to remember having this problem once and it was simply because for some reason, a few gallons of gas was NOT enough to get the car turned over?? it was weird, but I think that was the problem. Try the cut-off switch for the fuel pump first!
Old 05-09-2010, 11:13 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

have also heard of having to bleed the lines when you run out of fuel cause its injected. i've done it once, put fuel in it, started right up no problems. and yes reset is on the left side of your truck behind the pannel. simple push. good luck.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:49 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Another possibility too might be that the fuel filter is clogged up, since it basically has whatever was on the bottom of the tank sucked through it. I still think you just have to reset the fuel pump like the others said, though. I doubt this will turn into something that's going to become a 'project'....just a simple thing should fix it.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

well we dont have big gas tanks, but if your on a hill, and you only got 3 gallons...id say get some more. Also when you run out of gas you will have a long period of extended cranking if you dont prime the fuel system first, because its injected. To fix that problem instead of haning on the key turning it over for like a min just prime the fuel pump by cycling the key to the on position for a few second the off then back on then off, do that like five or ten time and then if you have enough fuel in the tank your lines will be primed and it will start right up. But do what these guys said to double check in the trunk to make sure you didnt set off your fuel pump cut off switch, big red button
Old 05-09-2010, 04:39 PM
atrain59
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bman2000
well we dont have big gas tanks, but if your on a hill, and you only got 3 gallons...id say get some more. Also when you run out of gas you will have a long period of extended cranking if you dont prime the fuel system first, because its injected. To fix that problem instead of haning on the key turning it over for like a min just prime the fuel pump by cycling the key to the on position for a few second the off then back on then off, do that like five or ten time and then if you have enough fuel in the tank your lines will be primed and it will start right up. But do what these guys said to double check in the trunk to make sure you didnt set off your fuel pump cut off switch, big red button
I got the car in a flat parking lot last night before i left. im waiting on my roommate to take me back to the car were i can bleed the schrader valve and check the safety switch and go from there thanks for all the insight guys

Last edited by atrain59; 05-09-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:40 PM
ryanm
1st Gear Member

+1^
Prime it with the key in the on position and it'll turn over. I seriously doubt you have to reset the fuel pump on a car with only 35k. How is that possible? I have 148k on my 98 GT.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:10 PM
atrain59
1st Gear Member

Got it running again, I checked the saftey switch in the trunk and it was fine made sure i had fuel in the rails , reset the ecu and primed the lines tried to start it and would not crank. So then i look at the fuses and i find a blown 20 replace it and what do you know it fires up after about 3 tries. Thanks for the help guys

Quick Reply: Please help Ran out of gas now it will not start