4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Tinted the tails... Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 09:26 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Default Tinted the tails... Pics

Whats up everyone? Been a while since I've posted so I thought I'd update ya with some pics. I tinted my taillights yesterday - used VHT Niteshades. Only did one light coat. I was trying to get it close to the third brake light, and did not want to go blacked out for visibility issues. I also taped off the reverse lights. I followed that coat with a ton of clear coating/sanding/clearing and a final polish to bring some extra shine and reflection out of them. They look really good in my opinion.

I haven't posted about these other things, I don't think, but I have FLSFC's waiting to be installed, a shorty antenna that I put on, and a 93 octane tune on an SCT Xcal 2 I'm using. My SSS Adrenaline is ordered and is supposed to ship out next week - then again I have been told about 4 or 5 different shipping days on that. Either way, I am stoked to get that kit installed.

Now for the pics you all came in to see!

Before and After

** It is the shadow making the driver side one look blacked out. They are actually painted to the same level of tint!

The individual taillights

What do you all think??
Old 05-09-2010, 09:31 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

It's pretty light.. A nice way to darken things up a bit, though!! You did a great job and you did it the right way with the clear and wet sanding. Props man... I think you should go a little bit darker and do the 3rd brake light as well.. My lights are blacked out and light still shines through.. You can do another coat on there and still fool the cops as to if it's tinted or not.. The light will shine through no prob. But if you are keeping it at that shade, still a great job done and it looks better than bright red!

Get some window tint. What's another $150 after spending all that money on all those goodies you have laying around
Old 05-09-2010, 09:35 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

im workin on the window tint hp! ive been wanting it for a long time now, haha. but other things keep jumpin over it!!

and thanks. i like the shade its at. if i had a black theme going, id go darker, but with the hypercoated wheels, black chrome letter inserts and no black anywhere else, i think it works very well!
Old 05-09-2010, 09:41 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

The shaded light looks great.. The other one just looks dulled down a bit compared to stock.. You obviously know the look that you were trying to achieve, and i think that you pulled off your look great.. Nice job. Seriously. Not everyone likes to go black like me haha. I understand that
Old 05-09-2010, 09:45 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

I thought about going black hp, but it just wouldn't flow with everything else to me! So yeah, that is what I tried for and it came out really well. Just a subtle little change that cost me under 20 bucks and a couple hours of time! Well worth it, haha.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:50 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Cheap or free mods that turn out great are always the best haha
Old 05-09-2010, 09:51 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

^ Couldn't agree more man!
Old 05-09-2010, 10:44 PM
JerseyTrueBlue
1st Gear Member

Looks great man thanks for the pictures, I just got a can for my girls car and was contemplating on doing my own, after seeing this it's so getting sprayed lol. You are going to love the SFC's and the catback man, talk about really waking up the beast.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:45 PM
JerseyTrueBlue
1st Gear Member

Also, I see you got your spoiler holes filled? How much did that cost cause I need to respray my trunk anyway due to some nasty paint chipping, was thinking about having the holes filled before spraying the trunk. Looks real good by the way, I love these cars when wingless.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:47 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

I likey!!! Good job bp

Quick Reply: Tinted the tails... Pics