4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

18" wheel owners come in...gauging interest

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

If I were to ever get a set of race wheels, I'd be downsizing to 17's with a big offset to clear the brembos. 18's are nice but there can be so much weight saved by going with a set of 17" tires (assuming you get tires with stiff sidewalls)
Old 05-10-2010, 12:47 PM
sonicx
speed'n

TJ

As for your PS2(Max Performance Summer tire member of the Michelin Pilot family). The PS2 is an excellent maximum performance tire, though quite pricey. Very responsive and grippy, with outstanding dry cornering. Very good in the wet too. Unusually for a tire of this caliber, the PS2 is also pretty quiet cruiz'n around. But.... I like your thinking give the company a call. Nittos are by far my favorite & Hey see if we can get a discount!!! YEAH

Originally Posted by Aereon
If I were to ever get a set of race wheels, I'd be downsizing to 17's with a big offset to clear the brembos. 18's are nice but there can be so much weight saved by going with a set of 17" tires (assuming you get tires with stiff sidewalls)
yea... i was thinking about this as well. Though 18" are awsome you bring up a valid point. 17" all around are best if you want to shave a tad off the clock and for cornering.

Last edited by sonicx; 05-10-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:57 PM
BigErrn02
1st Gear Member

I would like to get some Nitto's when my current tires run out. I currently have 295/35/18 Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's and I love these tires.

Havn't seen many other people with them so I'm not sure if its just me.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:04 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

17's would be the cheap way to do it , you could buy a set of 18's that are light weight. And i know all about the PS2's. Me and jazzer had some very in depth convos about tires and thats what he runs and recommended me, but i couldnt swing that much money for tires. I love my NT05's, but they need to be wider to fit properly. Like i think that there needs to be larger offerings of these awesome tires. Like my NT05's hook great for street tires, but these cobra guys on SVTP have to go to drag radials to get proper sizing for tires that grip, and thats simply not necessary and drag radials in the 18" sizes arent cheap. $300/tire and my NT05's were $215/tire so there should be wider selections of tires that are that wide to fit properly on our combinations for the rear and not have to spend an arm and a leg. Dont you all agree?
Old 05-10-2010, 01:07 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by teej281
17's would be the cheap way to do it , you could buy a set of 18's that are light weight. And i know all about the PS2's. Me and jazzer had some very in depth convos about tires and thats what he runs and recommended me, but i couldnt swing that much money for tires. I love my NT05's, but they need to be wider to fit properly. Like i think that there needs to be larger offerings of these awesome tires. Like my NT05's hook great for street tires, but these cobra guys on SVTP have to go to drag radials to get proper sizing for tires that grip, and thats simply not necessary and drag radials in the 18" sizes arent cheap. $300/tire and my NT05's were $215/tire so there should be wider selections of tires that are that wide to fit properly on our combinations for the rear and not have to spend an arm and a leg. Dont you all agree?
Agreed, Rubber's are expensive man ahahaha if people are willing to buy em high, companies will sell em high... call em up and see if you can swing a deal. See the issue your run into is that the supply & demand Nitto is recieving about what your asking about is minimual if that. Most people who wanna go down that road arent looking at running Nittos. If Nitto was to do so, there needs to be a demand or else em tires are going to be krazy expensive. I would be willing to bet there aren't too many people who wanna run Nittos that size & even so maybe Nitto doesn't do R&D for what drags. I mean its gonna cost the company money and then they gotta see if its worth pursuing before they market it. Gotta be cost effective or otherwise they'll prob pass. See what im saying?

Last edited by sonicx; 05-10-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonicx
yea... i was thinking about this as well. Though 18" are awsome you bring up a valid point. 17" all around are best if you want to shave a tad off the clock and for cornering.
If I could get away with running some 15x10's I would, they just won't clear my brembos=/ 17's the smallest I can go.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:14 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Thats why im trying to get interest on the forums because most people arent thinking Nitto when they want to go down that road, but i think that with the new offerings that Nitto has made available lately that people should be looking more down the lines of Nitto for more hardcore street/track use. The new NT05R's are hooking better than slicks, NT05's are sticking better than the NT555R's did and they actually have a stiff sidewall for cornering, INVO's are silent as a church mouse and provide excellent wet traction and still do very well in the dry, people should start taking Nittos more seriously now and Nitto should be doing more to promote themselves and they need to offer more sizes for those of us that want wide tires. Know what i mean?
Old 05-10-2010, 01:17 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by Aereon
If I could get away with running some 15x10's I would, they just won't clear my brembos=/ 17's the smallest I can go.
I figured as much. My uncle & most of the strip guys I know run 15 x 10's but i figured i'd say 17's because you brought up brembos, knowing 17 is the smallest that'll fit. Sometimes things like this are double-edged swords. Smaller tires worse braking power..... bigger heavier tire, more breaking power. I've always gone the tire route over the bigger route but different applications / driver styles / what your aiming for require different set ups im aware.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:22 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by teej281
Thats why im trying to get interest on the forums because most people arent thinking Nitto when they want to go down that road, but i think that with the new offerings that Nitto has made available lately that people should be looking more down the lines of Nitto for more hardcore street/track use. The new NT05R's are hooking better than slicks, NT05's are sticking better than the NT555R's did and they actually have a stiff sidewall for cornering, INVO's are silent as a church mouse and provide excellent wet traction and still do very well in the dry, people should start taking Nittos more seriously now and Nitto should be doing more to promote themselves and they need to offer more sizes for those of us that want wide tires. Know what i mean?
Having a friend whom just made it on the Japan Drifting Series, I'm aware where nitto is coming from in certain aspects. Not asking im an expert as all (just a disclaimer) but there're more concerned at the moment of investing their resources into drifting and finding a good blend w/ that. Following close behind as dialing in a perfect street preformance tire because alot of nuckle heads gabble up these tires who illegally street race. I gotta admit they've come along ways and still have alot of improvement to do but there not a Drag Strip company. More on the drifting/ street racing scene.

But im hearing what your saying TJ and your got some points but I don't think Nitto will bite. Then again it never hurts to ask.

edit: what??? Pretty much the best drag tire is the NT01? Then you got your entire street line-up where alot of drifters NT05 or NT555's just because they can get em dirt cheap.

Last edited by sonicx; 05-10-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonicx
I figured as much. My uncle & most of the strip guys I know run 15 x 10's but i figured i'd say 17's because you brought up brembos, knowing 17 is the smallest that'll fit. Sometimes things like this are double-edged swords. Smaller tires worse braking power..... bigger heavier tire, more breaking power. I've always gone the tire route over the bigger route but different applications / driver styles / what your aiming for require different set ups im aware.
yep, pretty much. I've tried out different tires and whatnot but have been extremely happy with my toyo's, I've been following the nt05's though because one of my friends that soloII's more than I do say they are as resistant as my t1r's when it comes to sidewall flex. They are also slightly lighter, so I may end up trying a set if this happens, 315's would look nice but I don't know if I wanna bring my fairly neutral car back towards understeer=/

Quick Reply: 18" wheel owners come in...gauging interest