4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

2001 Cobra......worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 01:30 PM
grindman620
2nd Gear Member

Question 2001 Cobra......worth it?

Ok so a few of you may know that i am looking for a nice Cobra. I want something that is as clean as possible, but not with a high price tag (which is hard to find lol). I found this 01 that has a lot of miles, but its in decent shape and for a decent price.

Here is the ad: http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/1721276231.html

Here are some pictures: https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...cobra-pix.html

Take a look at it and let me know what you think. His trans is needing some attention too if you read through it. Has issues with shifting to second gear. He thinks it could be the syncrhos......what do you guys think? Again I don't mind dumping some money into her, but not thousands right off the bat.

thanks
Old 05-07-2010, 03:00 PM
grindman620
2nd Gear Member

???????
Old 05-07-2010, 03:13 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

thats a **** tone of mines man... and the way he talks about the car doesn't make me believe that he takes any real kind of care for it. $7500 is cheap, and im sure its cheap for a reason, sounds like he just wants to get rid of a headache for anything possible.

I mean in those pics, (assuming those are the pics he is using to sell the car), he doesn't even bother cleaning the floorboard of the car.... you can see leaves and grass and ****... what does that tell you about the owner? or at least how he takes car of his car?

No deal. Don't take on somebody elses headache. Dont forget he basically says you need an entire new suspension in the near future as well...
Old 05-07-2010, 04:52 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

so by showing us this add, you're telling us you have 7k+ to spend on a car. Figure out the cost of all "the bad" he stated and deal from there. Just tell him you're interested and ready to buy the cobra if he reduces atleast about 70% of the damages cost to repair. I won't be a headache if you have money to fix it. Any deal can potentially be a good deal, if you negotiate. He said he reduced it already, but c'mon, every seller always over prices their items to lower it during negotiation and still get what they want.

Go drive the car. As soon as you fire up the car, I believe, you'll know if it's healthy. Give it a little gun as well as regular low and high gear driving, and see how you feel about it.

goodluck

Last edited by nascrchi; 05-07-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:44 PM
grindman620
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I have around that much to spend most likely nascrchi. I know that it looks like he is kinda neglecting some things, but he is not a muscle car guy. He is a full time student and took these pictures quick for me. He is really into imports and only got this car because he traded a car that was of lower value. For the money you cant beat it, but I am just really worried about the trans issue. If it was just the synchros, how much would something like that cost to get fixed? I don't know jack about transmissions
Old 05-10-2010, 01:02 AM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by grindman620
Yeah I have around that much to spend most likely nascrchi. I know that it looks like he is kinda neglecting some things, but he is not a muscle car guy. He is a full time student and took these pictures quick for me. He is really into imports and only got this car because he traded a car that was of lower value. For the money you cant beat it, but I am just really worried about the trans issue. If it was just the synchros, how much would something like that cost to get fixed? I don't know jack about transmissions
Honestly I have no idea how much it would cost. I varies with every mechanic although I believe they have a roundabout in hourly charge. It's a tough buy, I agree. You also have the option to take it to a mechanic and have him drive it around. Maybe 2 or 3 mechanics to make sure. There's no prob in going the extra mile to pin point the problem to avoid future issues. Patience is probably the best way to deal with a private seller. Hopefully someone gives you info on the cost for new synchros and labor.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:03 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by grindman620
Dude, what this guy doesnt know because he is not a muscle car guy is the fact that this is a normal issue for these transmissions and that 2nd on most of our cars have a slight pause and/or a slight grinding noise going into gear. Or at least my first transmission and this transmission both had the same exact problem and i still drive mine every day and beat the tar out of it regularly. So its not much to worry about man.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:07 PM
grindman620
2nd Gear Member

Really???? So it may be a more reocurring issue on 01 Cobra transmissions?

See I like the car because:
A. Its a good price
B. Its in decent shape
C. It does have a good amount of miles, but in a year or two I want to rebuild the motor
D. I got a new job and can afford to tinker with it some.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:40 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

It's a low price for an 01. Pretty high miles for a small state car. The tranny usually doesn't get grumpy unless someone was beating the **** out of it on a daily basis or flat can't drive.

I say start at $6500 and go from there.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:17 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

its beat dude. anyone can make a car shiny

Quick Reply: 2001 Cobra......worth it?