4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

My next mod opinions

Old 05-11-2010, 10:41 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

is it a stock LT1? my buddy has a virtually stock LT1 auto w/ a cut-out and short ram intake and i could beat him with my setup (before the tune).. cams and head work is a bit excessive for beating an LT1.. LS1, then maybe i would understand. no offense, but maybe you just need to get better at racing??? (that is, assuming you got a manual)
Old 05-11-2010, 04:38 PM
timthegreat1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by trailor
is it a stock LT1? my buddy has a virtually stock LT1 auto w/ a cut-out and short ram intake and i could beat him with my setup (before the tune).. cams and head work is a bit excessive for beating an LT1.. LS1, then maybe i would understand. no offense, but maybe you just need to get better at racing??? (that is, assuming you got a manual)
I didnt race him yet and that was a comparison and I just wanna make sure I win...

I'm trying to add power as I go along becuase its fun I'm thinking my first thing Is definitely a midpipe I would like to go nitrous but Ive never been a huge fan and I feel like Ill blow up my car but hopefully cams will be in the near future
Old 05-11-2010, 04:44 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by timthegreat1
I didnt race him yet and that was a comparison and I just wanna make sure I win...

I'm trying to add power as I go along becuase its fun I'm thinking my first thing Is definitely a midpipe I would like to go nitrous but Ive never been a huge fan and I feel like Ill blow up my car but hopefully cams will be in the near future
lol you won't "blow up" your car with nitrous. It's just as safe as a blower if done right. I should know, i've been running mine for years now without any issues.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:59 PM
timthegreat1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
lol you won't "blow up" your car with nitrous. It's just as safe as a blower if done right. I should know, i've been running mine for years now without any issues.
really? all ive heard so far is crushed piston rod just bad news with 100k on the stock motor is it still safe?
Old 05-11-2010, 05:04 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Nitrous has gotten a really bad rep over the years, due to it's misuse and what not. Ask anyone on here that runs nitrous, and they will tell you it's fine as long as it's setup and used properly, and you keep the shot to 125 or less.

Personally, i'd keep it at a 100 shot if it was me.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:06 PM
timthegreat1
2nd Gear Member

Im intrigued tell me more which kit lol, I know it has a bad rep im not gonna lie I was one who thought it was detrimental to a motor... which kit?
Old 05-11-2010, 05:13 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Any major power adder is going to stress the motor more than otherwise, but don't abuse it and you'll be fine.

There are several good kits on the market today. My personal favorites are NX and NOS. I run a NOS dry kit, and have had great success with it.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:21 PM
timthegreat1
2nd Gear Member

so you would say dry would most other people say the same you think. If I did it I would only use it when I absolutely need it
Old 05-11-2010, 05:23 PM
timthegreat1
2nd Gear Member

and what would I need to change to run nitrous
Old 05-11-2010, 05:30 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Most people will probably tell you to go with a wet kit (due to the fact that you can still run your stock injectors) but both styles are equally safe and effective when done right.

If you only want a small shot (like a 75) you won't have to change anything really, but anything beyond that (depending on what kit you go with) you'll need different plugs, possibly upgraded fuel pump and/or injectors, and a tune specifically for nitrous.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My next mod opinions