4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Sumi's for Daily Driving?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:17 PM
DS002
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 04CompetitionOrange
I hear ya man...

I have checked CL out the ying yang. Unfortunately, I have been temporarily relocated to middle of nowhere West Texas and there is NOTHING used for sale. I've even looked at driving all the way to Dallas or Austin (5-7 hours) but I still can't find anything. I bought my current tires used...but I don't want to drop $400 - 500 on used tires when I can get them brand new for $700.

If I were to keep my 18's...what about the sumi HTRZ II's. A brand new set will run me about $600.
Just keep looking, how smoked are your current tires? Do they have any time left or do you need replacements right now? Patience is a virtue and if you can hold off youll find something better than Sumis, not that thats really saying much since sumitomos are absolute garbage. Have you looked into nexen or fuzion tires? They still suck but are leaps and bounds better than sumis.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:20 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I wouldnt say leaps and bounds because nexen tires in my opinion are worse than sumitomos...but fuzions are better, but not by much. I'd say go NT555's or INVO's if you can swing it. They are worth the extra money.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:34 PM
DS002
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
I wouldnt say leaps and bounds because nexen tires in my opinion are worse than sumitomos...but fuzions are better, but not by much. I'd say go NT555's or INVO's if you can swing it. They are worth the extra money.
Invos would get my vote if he can afford them, I almost got them but figured my car with the LT's and off road midpipe is so loud already that a little extra road noise from the NT05's wouldnt bother me at all... and they dont.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:39 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I dont know about you but my NT05's are silent. And if the Invo's are quieter yet, that'd be awesome!!! but they dont grip as well but will last longer. They are both around the same price, so its really what he wats out of the tires. lol i'd go invo though for street use. The reason i went with the NT05's is because my favorite past time on weekends is gonna be corner carving once the irs and coilovers go on.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:39 PM
DS002
3rd Gear Member

The reason i went with the NT05's is because my favorite past time on weekends is gonna be corner carving once the irs and coilovers go on.
Same here, if you were anywhere near me Id say lets go crush some mountain roads. The new edges handling is very underrated, everyone thinks our cars are underpowered pigs but we can pack so much grip underneath our chassis it barely even matters. I only have D-specs, H&R SS's and J&M LCAS along with the NT05's and I can rip through corners. Its like the new Viper vs C6 Z06 around a road course, the vette is a better handling car but the viper has such massive tires in the front and back the grip makes up for its shortcomings.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:43 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Didnt read the thread, just the ops post.

I work at discount tire, so I feel that my opinion is somewhat credible on tires and their atributes. Cheap tires are exactly that, CHEAP tires. I would use Nexxens and Sumies ONLY for a very temporary fix until I could afford at the least some Nittos. We dont even keep stuff like that in stock because cheap tires usually end up costing US money because there is always a problem with them down the line.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:49 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by DS002
Same here, if you were anywhere near me Id say lets go crush some mountain roads. The new edges handling is very underrated, everyone thinks our cars are underpowered pigs but we can pack so much grip underneath our chassis it barely even matters. I only have D-specs, H&R SS's and J&M LCAS along with the NT05's and I can rip through corners. Its like the new Viper vs C6 Z06 around a road course, the vette is a better handling car but the viper has such massive tires in the front and back the grip makes up for its shortcomings.
Yea man!!! Around here, we have really crappy twisties and the roads that do work for that are major roads that you cant really carve through because of traffic. I need to find some good roads close by to just go at it. Where you from?
Old 05-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

I have sumitomo's and they are not the greatest but..... they will work and ride pretty comfortable.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:00 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Yea man!!! Around here, we have really crappy twisties and the roads that do work for that are major roads that you cant really carve through because of traffic. I need to find some good roads close by to just go at it. Where you from?
I cant wait till im off crutches and can hit up the great Texas hill country with my new IRS! TJ, some of these corners are close to a 1/4 mile long and can be taken very fast. SO much fun!
Old 05-12-2010, 11:03 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Dude, quit making me jealous!!! lol we have back country roads around here but the pavement sucks too. The rocks used in them are real coarse and dont allow for much traction and they chew through tires like nobody's business. I wish i lived near a canyon...that would be badass.

Quick Reply: Sumi's for Daily Driving?