4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Body shop destroyed my car and my patience...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:51 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

Angry Body shop destroyed my car and my patience...

So i drop off 2 side scoops and a hood scoop Thursday morning...it took them till today to paint them. The paint matches and looks good...

Finally today i bring the car in to have them install the hood scoop. They install the scoop about 1 foot off, and im left with 8 huge holes in the hood in the wrong location, they made no attempt to make a template, measure the hood, or even Google image search. So then they tell me they will fix it up no charge, and call me when its all done (they said it'd be done today). Never got a call and they still have my car, shops closed. This is a bad photoshop picture done by me to show you how it was installed. (note where it should have been installed where all the dirt is)

The end of the hoodscoop just started where the tiny black scoop thing were to be, and it was suspended off the car partially and was overlapping the hood lines by 2 inches or so. And the holes were big enough to put my pinky through. They even told me before the install they could do the hood scoop install to look factory and that they will do evreything.

Assuming the job has been done right, and they repainted the entire hood and it looks okay ill probably still be really pissed and demand some kind of discount.

But if the holes in the hood are still visible or the paint doesn't quite match would you guys demand them to pay for a new hood w/scoop assembly and have someone else do it?

I've never had a terrible experience like this, what should i do? They've so far managed to drill a whole lot of holes in my car and waste a week of my time.

Last edited by itsdaveonline; 05-17-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:16 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

that scoop is half the size of normal gt scoops
Old 05-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Dteal23
3rd Gear Member

Id demand a new hood
Old 05-17-2010, 08:21 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by antiv6
Facepalm. It's a photoshopped picture. He is just trying to give us an idea of what happened.

I would be pissed. I can't believe a body shop could mess up a factory piece on one of the most common cars on the road. I would be willing to bed they could have looked out in the parking lot and found a GT to compare with.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:24 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

lol thats what i get for trying to watch tv and read at the same time

Last edited by antiv6; 05-17-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:28 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by antiv6

Get a new hood, stat!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:29 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

Well i haven't paid a dime yet...(bill is 270$) i guess i the wisest thing would be to refuse payment if the holes are even slightly visible or the install is botched or paint is messed up. Is this the wisest thing to do? I have a feeling my hood will look okay, i saw them do some bondo ****. But what are my rights as a customer, am i obligated to get a new hood?

The body shop is "don massey collision center" so i went to the "don massey" dealership down the road that owns the shop and already told the manager there about my problem. What are my rights as a customer?

Is it proper protocol to repaint the entire hood if one were to drill several holes in it? or will most shops just blend it?

Any advice, negotiation techniques, consumer rights i should know about? Or should i just pay and after demand they pay another shop to purchase a new hood and do it right? I'm just a afraid of paying and then they wont do ****.

Originally Posted by 2k1gt
I can't believe a body shop could mess up a factory piece on one of the most common cars on the road. I would be willing to bed they could have looked out in the parking lot and found a GT to compare with.
You know whats ironic, im fairly certain the guy that worked on my car drives a 2003 mach1

Last edited by itsdaveonline; 05-17-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:32 PM
jt02gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by itsdaveonline
Well i haven't paid a dime yet...(bill is 270$) i guess i the wisest thing would be to refuse payment if the holes are even slightly visible or the install is botched or paint is messed up. Is this the wisest thing to do? I have a feeling my hood will look okay, i saw them do some bondo ****. But what are my rights as a customer, am i obligated to get a new hood?

The body shop is "don massey collision center" so i went to the "don massey" dealership down the road that owns the shop and already told the manager there about my problem. What are my rights as a customer?

Is it proper protocol to repaint the entire hood if one were to drill several holes in it? or will most shops just blend it?

Any advice, negotiation techniques, consumer rights i should know about? Or should i just pay and after demand they pay another shop to purchase a new hood and do it right? I'm just a afraid of paying and then they wont do ****.

You know whats ironic, im fairly certain the guy that worked on my car drives a 2003 mach1
This maybe what you don't want to hear, but here goes.....

Im sorry to say it doesn't matter what you think you are entitled to. It has more to do with how your state laws are written/enforced. Yes, if they f'd it up then they are responsible for fixing such said f-up. On the other hand it is your responsibility to work with said shop as you were the consumer that decided to deal with said shop to get this done. Just TALK with them like an adult-putting all emotions to the side! I had something similar happen when I had a shop put new shock/strut on. When I went to pick up there was a huge gash/paint chunk missing from my rear bumper. Guess what.....I handled it like it should have....accidents happen! And the shop made it right! They let me take it to my body shop and what was done was done.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:40 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

Well i guess ill just try to bargain the installation and paint price, ill try to get out the door 170$ if the job looks decent.

I'll post the pictures tomorrow assuming i can get my ****ing car back...
Old 05-17-2010, 10:20 PM
DS002
3rd Gear Member

If the original price was $270 you should do all you can to just make the shop eat the job, they seriously ****ed up and they should cover it out of pocket. Thats not a mistake a professional shop should make, I say **** them and go for the throat.

Quick Reply: Body shop destroyed my car and my patience...