4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Buying a 1999 GT Vert... need advice, please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 03:57 AM
benleonheart

Default Buying a 1999 GT Vert... need advice, please!

I'll begin with the story of my life.

I've been looking at Mustangs ever since I was a little kid, I've always loved the muscle car category, the legacy, the name, everything!

The bad thing being that here, in Honduras, there are almost a total of 50 Mustangs, in the whole country (all V6), around 20 GT's, a couple of cobra's (95~98) and 3 or 4 GT500's...

So, when I got older, got a job; I got my hands on a 2001 V6,... which wasn't the hardest thing to pay for..

Thing is, ever since I got it, I started modding it; 18'' chrome rims, CAI,custom catless true duals...

But I feel the need for more power... I want a "Muscle" car.

I've been saving up to buy a 1999/2001 Cobra, since 2003/2004 is out of my league... and I'd have to Import it all the way here, shipping charges, portuary, etc...

Today, I saw a Mustang GT in the local newspaper; so I called the guy, and we agreed to meet...
He's selling his car at $8,400... which I personally believe its WAY to high for its mileage... (108,000 Mi.)

I immediatly wat'd the guy, and he said that when we talk business, he'll lower the price, because he knows I'm right...

We talked for about 30 minutes about cars and stuff... and he said that if he sells that car, he wants to sell it to me (and I fell for the bait)... because I know about the car, and I enjoy it...

People here don't appreciate that kind of cars, since they're v8's and OMGV8 IS GAZ GUZZLAHH! so... you know what I mean...

The Car is a Red 35th Anniversary GT Convertible, leather seats Mach460 sound, etc...... and the guy said that we can come to an agreement into him taking my v6, and giving him some extra cash... (my v6 is only 69,000 mi.)

So, What do you guys think? What should I check for? what should I expect on the test run? (I've never driven a GT before, only my v6, and I think my v6 is pretty fast ) Is it really that much of a difference from a V6 with true duals and CAI?

What kind of money should I offer him?
How much could I trade in my V6 for? He said he would think about it (business talk bla,bla)...
Good thing is the car sounds clean, paint is flawless, a few chips, right window doesnt work, only from left panel...as expected from a 10 year old car... , also , the car is already here, registered in Honduras' car database, etc... so I'd save myself a LOT of hassle/time/money... (than I would with the cobra)

Anyway, I can get a cobra in the future...... right?

I appreciate your inputs, guys.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:13 AM
fordforlife0225
4th Gear Member

hey man, not much familiar with foreign mustangs but here is what i go. i sold my 2004 v6 with 110,000 miles on it for 6,000 the other week and bought my 02 gt vert.

- price talk- if he is going to take your v6 id say give him that plus $1,500 and call it a day. v6's here dont go for much ur is an 01 with 60sometin on it so id say. $4500-5000. plus ur 2k that gives him $6000-6500 which is probably about right for an older, high milage gt.

- the test drive. check for :ticking noise(possible loose spark plug) :convertable top leakage (use a hose and just run it over the top) :transmission (auto trans, hard shifting. manual trans, make sure it shifts into all gears smooth) :leaks in the engine, transmission, and rear diff. then i guess just other simple things, does the ac work, is the stereo and and speakers good, does the top operate smooth and latch down tight.

i dont know if you could consider these "muscle cars" since that day is long gone but i guess its the closest thing on the current marker. as for feel of power... i went from a v6 automatic to a v8 5speed and yea, i could feel the jump in power.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:24 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Here is a simple comparison...v6 auto:Camel::GT 5 speed:race horse....get the idea? That GT is going to be insane for you if you think the six is fast...you are likely not ready for a cobra anyways if you still think a v6 is fast...get the GT and call it a day.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:26 PM
benleonheart

Thank you for the input, fordforlife...
its REALLY helpfull....

I'm gonna try it out and see how it goes...
entering a v8 mustang into the country is a big deal and a hassle, so I dont hink he's gonna get comfortable with $1500, i'll see what I can do...

@devongarver;
I think i'm ready for any car, but since there are 0.0001 chances of a cobra being in the country, i'd have to aim for a gt ,unless i'm willing to go through online buying, shipping overseas, portuary fees in Honduras, etc...
u__u quite a hassle.

Again ,thank you guys!
Old 05-20-2010, 01:37 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

best of luck...if you find the V6 fast, buy that GT put some 4.30s on it and a midpipe with a short throw shifter and youll think your in a rocketship compared to your old car lol
Old 05-20-2010, 02:25 PM
benleonheart

Well, Thanks for everyone's comments on this!!
I lol'd at the rocketship comment..

Turns out that the guy wont even return my call, he's not interested in selling it at a "low price"...
Sticker on forehead says douche.

He wants my car + $3500...
He's way out of his mind.

Well, the wait continues for my Cobra (or a better GT might come my way)
Old 05-20-2010, 04:59 PM
fordforlife0225
4th Gear Member

hell yea man, save up a lil more and get your corba or stick it out for a nice gt. dont worry, took me about 3 months to get rid of my v6 and get a v8, but i waited it out and got a great price for mine plus found the exact one i was looking for
Old 05-20-2010, 05:42 PM
benleonheart

Lol.
Now the guy says that he'll take 40,000 lempiras + my car (40,000 lempiras is $2000)...
I said that I want to keep my rims instead of his stock rims... (mine were almost $700, with tires)
So I'd be giving him, my car + $1300... theoretically...
sounds good?
I mean, its a 99 GT vert with 108k mi...
is it REALLY worth it?

I mean I havnt even driven the dang car yet...
I can still say no, even when I try it...
Old 05-21-2010, 08:21 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Just swap a v8 into your stang.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:51 PM
fordforlife0225
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by benleonheart
Thank you for the input, fordforlife...
its REALLY helpfull....

I'm gonna try it out and see how it goes...
entering a v8 mustang into the country is a big deal and a hassle, so I dont hink he's gonna get comfortable with $1500, i'll see what I can do...

@devongarver;
I think i'm ready for any car, but since there are 0.0001 chances of a cobra being in the country, i'd have to aim for a gt ,unless i'm willing to go through online buying, shipping overseas, portuary fees in Honduras, etc...
u__u quite a hassle.

Again ,thank you guys!
inorite. they should give me a badge or something or at least a cool title, something other than "4th gear member" blahh.

Originally Posted by ct_white_stang
Just swap a v8 into your stang.
not a bad idea but a pain in the ***. get the motor shipped in, change the suspension, change the transmission or upgrade it, change the rear end cuz lets face it the 7.5 wont last, plus tunes and all... so much easier to just buy a gt, and cheaper. id say maby wait out for a GT that has less miles. he may be trying to get rid of it cuz of some unseen issues. especially if you havent drivin it yet. again its a lil hard to say from here cuz ur in a different country so i dont know nething about the cars or people.

Quick Reply: Buying a 1999 GT Vert... need advice, please!