4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Cleaned my IMRC's err kinda

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 12:06 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Default Cleaned my IMRC's err kinda

Yeah i posted this in the SVT section but many of you probably don't frequent there, i rarley do and i have an SVT lolz.

Well my car was throwing a IMRC code, So i tore down the car, got to the IMRC and the IMRC's control, Took a lot of pics so here we go. This is on a 96 cobra, 96-98 should be the same with the exception that the 98s have a different material IMRC and do not tend to gum up as much.

Motor!:

remove strutt tower brace and air intake

Pretty easy 8 bolts total on the STB 3 on each side 2 up top.
I just took a screwdriver to the clamp at the TB loosened the air tube up there, unplugged the MAF and sensor above it, took the bolt out of the sidewall near the airbox (8mm) and wiggled it out. The airbox is snapped to a holder under the air filter, just wiggle it out.

Next, drain coolant, drivers side under the radiator, pretty self explanitory.

Next, unplug all clips and hoses to the Upper intake manifold, this is from drivers side, Also there is a metal hose that needs to be loosened using a wrench, its the brass/copper color seen.

little clearer there, make sure everything is unplugged.

and there ^ it is undone, the metal line just pulls out. I used an Adjustable Wrench.

I always number my sparkplug wires so i don't forget what is what,
used 3m tape and a sharpie.

again there are several clips and hoses to each side of the intake manifold, some just require some elbow grease to get out.

Other side! remove everything that looks like it comes off, including this bracket holding the throttle cable, 2 screws.. i also took off the spring to the throttle cable.

And gone!

Remove all bolts around upper intake and take it off!
Inside of the upper intake.

Snake like lower intake.
Remove the bracket on the alternator holding the coolant crossover tube(Black rusty tube around the alternator going under the intakemanifold.)

Getting the coolant crossover tube out! This takes some "delicate muscle" becareful not to break it but you will have to pry it wasn't easy getting out, the cardboard is not not scratch anything, there is a coolant temp sensor to remove, make sure all bolts and brackets are clear, there is nothing holding the tube itself in the head except pressure.(The bracket on/near the alternator holds it down so be sure to take all of those bolts off)

The lowerintake was a painto take off, there are two bolts inside the intake walls (10mm)
and several outerbolts, IIRC it was 13MM deep socket for 2 and 8mm socket for the other (on each side) However there is also 2 bolts at the very back of the intake, which is a PITA to get to, you really need someone else holding hoses back with a screwdriver.

The IMRC control is this box seen at the bottom of the lower intake, it is attached to the IMRCs by throttle style cables and springs, just like the throttlebody.

I used pliers to take these off, i didn't get a pic because i was into it.

If i were to do it again i'd take off the fuel rails, o-rings for injectors are only $2 for 8 so thats like $8 total(2 per injector top and bottom)

Here are my IMRC with the control. The control was held onto the intake with 3 bolts though there are more than 3, just look and see which 3 hold it, its fairly easy to see.

IMRCs pretty gummed up.

IMRCS with the controller.

I will edit this later and finish but for now i have to go.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:57 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

So you probably mentioned this and I just can't read.. but are you deleting them or just cleaning them?
Old 05-21-2010, 11:38 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
So you probably mentioned this and I just can't read.. but are you deleting them or just cleaning them?
cleaning them and testing the control, my car threw an IMRC, im kind of glad i tore it down, i don't think seafoam would have cleared all this gunk out.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:44 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Yeah they look pretty nasty.. good work duder
Old 05-21-2010, 01:13 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Please tell me your doing something about your water cross over tube.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:48 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

ugh, I hated my 95 Mark 8 and dealing with those. I had a vaccum leak and I think it was coming from the front bearing at the end of the IMRC shaft.

under 3/4 throttle on take off you could hear it suck in and then would throw a CEL, then 20 sec later would go away...ended up selling the car so I never figured it out. 2 sets of gaskets and having the intake off about 3 diff times I never found it lol

Those are what mine looked like. Sit down with a tooth brush and some brake/carb cleaner and go at them.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:25 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
ugh, I hated my 95 Mark 8 and dealing with those. I had a vaccum leak and I think it was coming from the front bearing at the end of the IMRC shaft.

under 3/4 throttle on take off you could hear it suck in and then would throw a CEL, then 20 sec later would go away...ended up selling the car so I never figured it out. 2 sets of gaskets and having the intake off about 3 diff times I never found it lol

Those are what mine looked like. Sit down with a tooth brush and some brake/carb cleaner and go at them.
You do know they make IMRC delete kits right?
Old 05-21-2010, 05:43 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
Please tell me your doing something about your water cross over tube.
Lol its already sanded down calm yourself, no thats always bothered me everytime i poped the hood, i wish i woulda got the car in better shape, maintaing is a lot easier than repairing and refinsihing/restoring. I got some 500degree paint today too, it'll be gloss black, i'm trying to clean everything up as much as i can, its looking pretty good i cleaned the IMRCs themself today i got pics but i will put them up with a continuation of the thread when it all goes back together. It took a while to clean them but they look sooo much better.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:09 PM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

Well, did you ever get it back together??? Haha