4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

How can I prevent car rape?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 08:06 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Originally Posted by ShaneM

i can tell you first hand that people can mess stuff up driving a car ten feet. My brother worked at one of the car washes where they pull your car around for you. they actually think its funny to try and get the cars sideways. i saw one pulling my 05 around hit the damn metal guide rail so hard with my car that eh front wheel came off the ground. He drove the frame up it because he dumped the clutch six feet from the damn entrance to the wash and went sideways. i was beyond pissed but thankfully it didn't break anything. That was the last time anyone but me washed my car or drove it.
Damn, I don't even know what I would do if that happened to me.

OP, really he shouldn't have to move the car at all. We have a mobile detailing place come out on some of ours when we are either shorthanded or they are exceptionally dirty and we don't want to mess with it. We just park it where they can get to it easily and we keep the keys since it is a customers vehicle and we would be responsible for any **** ups they do. It is what I would do, just park it where he doesn't have to move it at all, and take the keys with you.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:10 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Detailing is not hard. The magic is "claybar". Trust me.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:18 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ct_white_stang
and a good coat of wax
Old 05-24-2010, 12:23 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ct_white_stang
Last time I used claybar... I parked under a street light, and right where I used the clay bar, scratches EVERYWHERE
Old 05-24-2010, 12:57 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

If you don't feel confident in doing it, I would save up some money and have a professional do it or someone you really trust. This way you won't have to worry about your car and it will turn out great!
Old 05-24-2010, 01:04 AM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
Last time I used claybar... I parked under a street light, and right where I used the clay bar, scratches EVERYWHERE
So you're saying you got scratches from using a claybar? If so, then you are doing it was wrong. Did you wash the car BEFORE you claybar'd it?
Old 05-24-2010, 01:17 AM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Here is how I learned...

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...s-newbies.html
Old 05-24-2010, 01:23 AM
stangit9090
2nd Gear Member

claying does cause micro-marring thats almost impossible not to get...easily buffs out.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:12 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTRACER88
wow...awesome link! thanks for posting.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:51 AM
AJB540
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
i can tell you first hand that people can mess stuff up driving a car ten feet. My brother worked at one of the car washes where they pull your car around for you. they actually think its funny to try and get the cars sideways. i saw one pulling my 05 around hit the damn metal guide rail so hard with my car that eh front wheel came off the ground. He drove the frame up it because he dumped the clutch six feet from the damn entrance to the wash and went sideways. i was beyond pissed but thankfully it didn't break anything. That was the last time anyone but me washed my car or drove it.
This is a little off-topic, but I feel that it sort of pertains to this story. I work at a car unloading station, where I unload brand new cars off trains straight from the factory for truck drivers to pick up and ship out to the dealerships. If you think your brand new 2011 vehicle hasn't been beat on, you're very mistaken. We drive the cars maybe a half mile tops, but it's by no means a gentle half mile. We tend to test the performance aspect of the new Camaros and Mustangs a little bit more than we should. Especially Subarus in the winter, so much fun...

Anyway, moral of the story: your brand new car has been beaten on.

Quick Reply: How can I prevent car rape?