4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Advice on throttle body / plenum

Old 05-24-2010, 04:31 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

I have my reasons. Iv had and seen a few things of theirs that break. And the fact that they have to dent their headers because they are to lazy to properly design them so the primaries dont hit is the icing on the cake. These fools can even make a rubber spring isolator without em breaking....ask me how I know.

Sorry your taking offense. I call it like I see it, deal with it.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:12 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

to each their own man.

OP, bottom line is its better then stock, its just no up to some peoples "standards." Which ever you buy, you will like it. They both do the same thing.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:17 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Here is a link to dyno sheets from RPM

Here is there listing of the product

And HERE is the product for 225$ shipped on corral...

hope this helps...just in case the dyno sheet doesnt open for you,
it gained approx 9.4 peak rwhp, and 10.7 peak rwtq.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:56 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I always have a hard time believing dyno sheets posted on companies websites that are selling the product. There are a lot of variables that go into a quality dyno test. Was those tests done on the same day? same dyno? same temp/humidity?

And even if it said that, how you know they are not just saying that to make you buy it? I'm more of a "believe it when I see it" and if someone on here did a stock run, then swapped TB/Plenum and did another run back to back, THEN I would believe it.

so, until then people on here keep saying "I didn't lose any power etc" or "It made me lose power"....most of which are going off butt dynos....and since people wear different size pants, well you know what I'm getting at.

Saying that, I put a PP 57mm TB/Plenum on my stock GT and didn't come away with a "WOW I have more/less power"...but I did gain an annoying swooshing noise lol
Old 05-25-2010, 08:05 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

LOL RPM outlet also claims 22hp from a SMALLER 75mm tb..

You cant go off what those yahoos say.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:13 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I'm sure most of you had seen the article Cliff posted about this topic....I'm suprised another TB/Plenum thread has gone 3 pages...that yes a motor can only use a fixed amount of air, and as long as you get a tb/Plenum that can flow at LEAST what the motor needs to create it's power then you are fine, in which case the tb/plenum no longer becomes the restricing aspect of the intake tract. you then look at the air filter and intake tube itself.

it's like the JLT 4" intake tubes connected to a stock tb/plenum.....it only looks cool since the smallest diameter in the route is the limiting factor (stock tb/plenum) of air flow. But just going larger IS NOT the safest best way since you also want to keep up the velocity of the air flow. going with a 4" tube and huge tb/plenum will slow it down.

but again, do a back to back comparison of tb/plenum's and then have a foot to stand on for either side of the argument...
Old 05-25-2010, 08:18 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
^^ Good info 0949er! I guess the point I'm trying to get at is that there is alot of people in this thread and on this forum in general that will say "this part will not give you any hp/tq" but the people that say that have no dyno sheet to prove that it did or didn't. This forum is alot of "follow the leader". One person says it doesn't work and then you got everyone saying the samething. It's like when 4v guys told me longtubes and midpipe wouldn't give me no more then 8rwhp and I proved them all wrong lol.

Man I know what you mean. Some guys on here don't know what the h*** there talking about. They read it and jump on the bandwagon. That's why you have to know who to ask quesitons to and who to take advice from. What's this thread about again??
Old 05-25-2010, 08:24 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
I'm sure most of you had seen the article Cliff posted about this topic....I'm suprised another TB/Plenum thread has gone 3 pages...that yes a motor can only use a fixed amount of air, and as long as you get a tb/Plenum that can flow at LEAST what the motor needs to create it's power then you are fine, in which case the tb/plenum no longer becomes the restricing aspect of the intake tract. you then look at the air filter and intake tube itself.

it's like the JLT 4" intake tubes connected to a stock tb/plenum.....it only looks cool since the smallest diameter in the route is the limiting factor (stock tb/plenum) of air flow. But just going larger IS NOT the safest best way since you also want to keep up the velocity of the air flow. going with a 4" tube and huge tb/plenum will slow it down.

but again, do a back to back comparison of tb/plenum's and then have a foot to stand on for either side of the argument...
Exactly, thats why no other company makes bigger than a 75mm for a single blade setup... you cant use anything over that really. Its not going to help. Hense why i say its a gimmick... and the fact that BBK makes cheap **** is enough for me to dislike it completely. lol I put BBK right in front of GMS.. but just barely.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:17 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Meh,...i'm not saying the numbers are solid, I'm just showing you what is being claimed. anyway, the fact of the matter is, it is pretty damn cheap compared to two individual units. Everyone that has installed it on other forums i found when searching said that they noticed increased throttle response over stock. Now, i am not batting for BBK, as I have their POS chrome intake kit, which i only bought because it was shiny lol. I realize after receiving it, with no directions for installation, and lacking parts to complete the installation, that the company isnt exactly top notch...

I am however quite please with my trickflow and summit products lol.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:20 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I can see where 0949er is coming from, I'm always a fan of saving a couple of bucks and have never had anything BBK so I can't comment on product quality.

But he is now S/C so the 78 may be serving him well just like most ppl go with 75...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice on throttle body / plenum