4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

learn me someting about sniper tuning

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 02:57 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default learn me someting about sniper tuning

Ok so assuming one has knowledge of the software and knows the basics of tuning. They have a wideband...what cant you tune with it? 100shot? 150? H/c/i motor? Centri? Kenne bell? Turbo? Blower and spray? What limitations does it have? Can it only handle so much as far as a fuel system? Maf? Mafia?

Financially things might change for me...if thats the case im getting a wideband, laptop and possibly the sniper set up...just want to know more about it
Old 05-25-2010, 03:02 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

With the BASE special forces pack you can tune for nitrous and a blower and MILD cams(stage 1),stage 1 ported heads, and all bolt ons.

If you have aggressive cams and ported heads ect, you need to get commando(i recommend it anyways).

Delta Force products are the shiz. Im not pro tuner, but iv beat my fair share of cars with the same mods that have been tuned by a pro.. So I dont think The software is holding me back any.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:05 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

I would jump right at the commando set up... im just trying to learn more about it...what its limits are...some screen shots... how user friendly it might be... how exact you can get and what all u can tweek...
Old 05-25-2010, 03:08 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dimebag
I would jump right at the commando set up... im just trying to learn more about it...what its limits are...some screen shots... how user friendly it might be... how exact you can get and what all u can tweek...
The SF is VERY user friendly and super easy to learn. Commando is a bit involved, but you have full control over every aspect of your car. I am 100% sure its the best end user software out. It will kick the crap out of any handheld out there thats for sure(SF). deltaforcetuning.com is a very good forum for it. also haney motor sports is a good place to call. Talk to Kasey(I think thats how he spells it), he will fill you in on everything and more than likely give you a good price.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:10 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

i have both the df and commando. very good soft ware for tuning. im a newbe to the commando though
Old 05-25-2010, 09:21 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by dimebag
Commando has no limits as it provides direct access and control over every scalar, table, and function in the tune--the only limit is your knowledge of what needs to be changed.

It is not "user friendly" at all, if it were it would be not capable of providing control over everything. It expects that you know (or are willing to learn) something about tuning (buy Greg Banish's book Engine Management: Advanced Tuning).

The good news is that you can learn all that, even the best tuner out there started out not knowing their elbow from their butt about tuning. Also, the Commando package includes Special Forces so you can use SF to build tunes in a user friendly mode, and then see what got changed (and learn what to change) by comparing tunes in Commando¹.

Here's an overlapped multi-parameter display of the Idle Air Adder and Stabilised Open Loop Fuel table:

Here is the Cranking AFR table (my live tune in black, the OEM tune in blue,
I leaned it at 200°F to help out the short-term heat soak starting issue):

This is the MAF Transfer Function for my '03 GT:

O2 Transport Delay:

Spark Borderline Table (my live tune in black, the OEM tune in blue):

Global Spark Adder (again my live tune in black, the OEM tune in blue):

I could go on, but I hope you get the point--if it's in there you can change it...

------------------------------------------------------
¹ - Commando allows up to eight tunes to be loaded and compared side-by-side, the changed setting of the first two loaded tunes can be marked to indicate the differences (the changed values are shown in bold faced type).

Oh, there is no "Sniper", because of legal issues "Sniper Performance" is now Delta Force Tuning...

Last edited by cliffyk; 05-25-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:30 PM
99mustanggt
3rd Gear Member

"I leaned it at 200°F to help out the short-term heat soak starting issue"

You went from the factory 13.81 to 13.24, wouldnt that be richer?
Old 05-25-2010, 11:53 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

I love the stuff. The Commando kit is awesome and gives you access to all the tables/values/parameters/etc... that are available in your tune.

As stated above, it does require some learning of tuning and the software itself. If you're willing to put in the time, it is well worth the money in my opinion.

Definitely buy the Greg Banish Engine Management: Advanced Tuning Book. It's very detailed and is an excellent point of reference and explains the theory and process of tuning very well. It can be bought on amazon.com for like $10
Old 05-26-2010, 12:03 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Cool guys thanks for the info...ill be looking into that book
Old 05-26-2010, 03:23 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by 99mustanggt
"I leaned it at 200°F to help out the short-term heat soak starting issue"

You went from the factory 13.81 to 13.24, wouldnt that be richer?
Whoops, the OEM tune is in black in that snapshot...

Quick Reply: learn me someting about sniper tuning