4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Need help with detonation stock 98 GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 12:26 PM
foxtrot
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Cliff I was afraid of that as that is a pretty big job and one I can afford to do. Is it possible its just my injectors? I think I can replace injectors a lot cheaper and do it myself.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:40 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Before you start changing parts just because they are cheap get a wideband O2 sensor on there and see if it's running lean...
Old 06-17-2010, 06:00 PM
foxtrot
2nd Gear Member

Ok Cliff I will take it to the Mustang Shop here in Arizona they know what they are doing and seem honest.

Hey one last question....

Do you have any alternate suggestions on alternate terminations (I know its not EPA approved and only for "racing") on the two lines going to the air intake one being the crank case exhaust the other is not sure it comes from the throttle body. I ask because I am having some routing issues with my new manifold and have to rework a bit and it I can:

A. Put a breather on the crank case (I assume it needs to breath?) without causing a tuning issue that would be great.
B. Plug the hose connection from the center of the throttle body to the air intake?

Not being concerned about EPA stuff more concerned about if these lines are some how metered or needed to be hooked up for performance.

Thanks for all your inputs on helping Cliff!
Old 06-17-2010, 06:34 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by foxtrot
Ok Cliff I will take it to the Mustang Shop here in Arizona they know what they are doing and seem honest.

Hey one last question....

Do you have any alternate suggestions on alternate terminations (I know its not EPA approved and only for "racing") on the two lines going to the air intake one being the crank case exhaust the other is not sure it comes from the throttle body. I ask because I am having some routing issues with my new manifold and have to rework a bit and it I can:

A. Put a breather on the crank case (I assume it needs to breath?) without causing a tuning issue that would be great.
The crankcase breather normally sucks metered air from the intake tube, through the crankcase, through the PCV valve, and into the intake after the TB. If you break this flow at all you need to plug the point in the intake from which it was sucking air, and the point on the TB/plenum into which it sucked air. What you do with crankcase ventilation after that doesn't matter.

B. Plug the hose connection from the center of the throttle body to the air intake?
I don't know exactly what you mean here, you may be referring to the PCV intake at the plenum? If so. yes it needs to be plugged as explained above.

Not being concerned about EPA stuff more concerned about if these lines are some how metered or needed to be hooked up for performance.

Thanks for all your inputs on helping Cliff!
The main issue is that any air flow path that might allow unmetered air (air that the MAF is unaware of) into the plenum has to be blocked off. If the MAF is unaware of it then the PCM is unaware of it, and the PCM will never be able to calculate the proper injector pulse to meet the commanded or required AFR,,,
Old 06-17-2010, 09:48 PM
foxtrot
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Cliff I was reading a bunch of threads on the crank case breather options and dilemmas. I think I will keep it stock and use fresh hoses and claps to make sure I have no vacuum leaks. I think it is the PCV line(s) even though it does not come from the manifold itself but does come from the center of the main throttle body (its a 3/4 hose) it runs to the air intake and has some square inline filter?