4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

need some suspension tips. jazzer? anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 08:01 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

Default need some suspension tips. jazzer? anybody?

ok i bought my car with the springs installed already, so im not sure exactly what they are. all i can see is that they are bbk. it looks like i have stock shocks yet as well. i have to be honest and say that my car rides like absolute sh*t! it is super stiff and when i hit a bump it feels like there is no suspension at all. however it does handle very very well. my question is, what can i do to make it just a little more comfortable? maybe new shocks, but im not sure which ones to buy
Old 05-31-2010, 09:35 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Do you have Full Length Sub Frame Connectors installed? Also you you already have camber plates? FLSFC would dramatically improve upon what you already have. As for shocks: I'd go with a set (front & rear) of Tokico High Performance Shocks. Additionally i'd look into getting some adjustable rear contral arms. Maximum Motorsports makes some fantastic parts in general for suspension parts.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:33 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Kug... make no mistake, if your car rides poorly, it will handle poorly! (at least on the street)

On a very smooth road, you will be fine, but introduce your average street condtion and you are in trouble. How low is your car and are the shocks/struts OEM? Can you take some pics to give us an idea of how low it is?

Jazzer
Old 05-31-2010, 05:35 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Not to go OT, but jazzer, let's say somebody lowers the car to eliminate wheel gap in the front and rear... Do they need a pinion snubber out back and a bumpsteer kit up front? And would they NEED to buy those things right away or can they wait?

Sorry OP
Old 05-31-2010, 08:38 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

You can't "eliminate" the fender gap, but only reduce it. One can ONLY lower the car soo much untill geometry and handling problems exist

Take a look at my Garage and will give you an example of the ABSOLUTE MAX one can lower a New Edge and avoid rubbing. I have cut nearly the entire front fender lip (underside) completely off of my car to allow clearance for my tires. They look 100% fine from the outside, but seriously hacked and still have a fender gap as you can see. The rears are nearly as hacked, but still have quite a gap there, but many peoples standards. I have major suspension upgrades, so I am lower than anyone can properly go on OEM stuff. Hell, I bottomed out on a 2" high rock in the road this weekend out on HWY 121

If you have aspirations of LESS gap than I, you will have a very uncomfortable, harsh and lousy handling ride with chewed up tires due to hitting all kinds of stuff.

Jazzer
Old 05-31-2010, 09:11 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

New shocks and struts will give you the ride quality you are lacking right now back. I would get a set of Bilstein HD's from AM and probably a set of C/C plates would also be a wise investment to keep your tires from wearing abnormally if you dont already have them. Subframe connectors, however necessary, wont add to ride comfort, but just make you feel more connected to the road since your car is now one entire frame rather than 2 separate frames. I do not like tokico dampers as much as bilsteins but if one is on the tightest budget tokico's wouldnt be bad. I just much prefer bilsteins. I mean if they are good enough to put on a terminator cobra stock, they are good enough to be on my car aftermarket. i mean the termie shocks and struts are valved even that much stiffer than the HD's so ride would be pretty good for an SRA car with the HD's i'd say.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:20 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Kug... make no mistake, if your car rides poorly, it will handle poorly! (at least on the street)

On a very smooth road, you will be fine, but introduce your average street condtion and you are in trouble. How low is your car and are the shocks/struts OEM? Can you take some pics to give us an idea of how low it is?

Jazzer
my car really isnt that low, i took my car to get aligned and they said there was no need for c/c plates. they just gave me a longer camber bolt and my tires wear perfect. will the shocks make it any lower?

need some suspension tips. jazzer? anybody?-0104001603a.jpg

need some suspension tips. jazzer? anybody?-0104001711a.jpg
Old 06-01-2010, 12:57 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Teej- too bad AM doesnt sell the HD package anymore!!!

I was thinking about going with some HD's and CUT stock front cobra coupe springs... Coilovers are just too expensive... A cut cobra spring should be within the spring rating of 600-700 i would imagine.. I think the HD's can handle that and it should ride the same. What do you think??

Matching the rears would be another story.. I was thinking mach 1 rear CUT springs, but idk if they will have enough spring rating to match the front or to support people in my car when i cut them... What do you think?

Sorry about the hijack!
Old 06-01-2010, 01:06 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Thats super GHEY!!! But idk what i would do in that situation with the springs. I mean i would try removal of the isolators in the rear to see how close you can get it and duck tape the ends to not have that much noise. but thats what i'd start out with HP. You coming over for the Ford Nationals at carlisle?
Old 06-01-2010, 04:24 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Thats super GHEY!!! But idk what i would do in that situation with the springs. I mean i would try removal of the isolators in the rear to see how close you can get it and duck tape the ends to not have that much noise. but thats what i'd start out with HP. You coming over for the Ford Nationals at carlisle?
I already did remove the isos all around... It wasn't really worth it, but i dont regret doing it i guess... It was fun to learn how to do the springs on our cars...

When is carlisle?

Quick Reply: need some suspension tips. jazzer? anybody?