4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Unfortunate Car Accident!! Any idea on actual cash value????

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 08:13 PM
jt02gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by n03stang
Oh and as for riding the guy, i wasnt riding on him. I was driving in traffic and he slammed on his brakes because a car in front of him slowed down for a light and the douche bag in front of me slammed on his brakes and locked them um about 100 feet behind the car in front of him.
That sux, and as far as all my comments they were made more for all the people that were going down the line of "I hate people that brake check" Accidents happen, and by the numbers you just posted it just confirms what I was saying......
Old 05-31-2010, 08:18 PM
jt02gt
2nd Gear Member

I just am skeptical at how insurance companies go about finding the value of a vehicle.
BTW any reputable insurance company will use blue book values as far as a total payout. They may give you a little more if you have some proof that maybe it is worth more than book, case in point my brother had an old celica way back in the day that someone t-boned. He just had the body completely redone and repainted and they actually gave him a couple hundred over book to compensate. Granted he had pics and receipts
Old 05-31-2010, 08:36 PM
ragleyracer

Default front damage

man ive been down that road, it doesnt look like much but those airbags will prob total it. I hope u have gap the nada is only around 9,000
Old 05-31-2010, 08:43 PM
n03stang
1st Gear Member

Don't have Gap coverage but its a fully loaded 2003 mustang mach stereo and 70k miles. Plus I have kept up maintenance and have reciepts for front end bearings bushings and tons of other things that the car didnt need but i did just to take care of her. I don't understand why they would total it with no structural damage to the vehicle. It kind of makes no sense to me. It has been appraised at 6k overall damage and even at 9k value i have less than 75 percent in damage.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:52 PM
ragleyracer

Don't have Gap coverage but its a fully loaded 2003 mustang mach stereo and 70k miles. Plus I have kept up maintenance and have reciepts for front end bearings bushings and tons of other things that the car didnt need but i did just to take care of her. I don't understand why they would total it with no structural damage to the vehicle. It kind of makes no sense to me. It has been appraised at 6k overall damage and even at 9k value i have less than 75 percent in damage.
i hope they dont, it sucks to lose a nice ride. insurance companies r a pain. they dont like repairing older rides.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:16 PM
n03stang
1st Gear Member

yeah man i def hear that this will def suck. I just think i will argue the value of the car and try to prove that fixing it will be better in the long run
Old 05-31-2010, 10:24 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

It makes perfect sense to me. If they repair your car they give you money for the repair. If they can find a reason to total it, they give you a check for whatever the Blue Book on it is, then part out the car and probably make a good portion of the money back.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:00 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

My dad works for a body shop in MI. Going rate up there with all insurance companies is about 65-75% of KBB value for total loss. They will try to use salvage parts or aftermarket that meets OEM standards if available to bring down costs, but those airbags are going to be a nice chunk.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:28 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by a_penquin
My dad works for a body shop in MI. Going rate up there with all insurance companies is about 65-75% of KBB value for total loss. They will try to use salvage parts or aftermarket that meets OEM standards if available to bring down costs, but those airbags are going to be a nice chunk.
same here in MA if the damage is equal to 70% of what the vehicle is worth they consider it a total loss. Usually when your airbags blow your car is done. They total cars because you cant see whats truly wrong with the car until you start pulling it apart which can climb in price pretty quickly. Also if you still owe 13K most car insurance companies go by www.nada.com see what your cars worth and unfortunately because you said you don't have gap coverage you may lose out on some money. The way you probably should have handled it was to see if the guy wanted to take it through insurance, since your car still drove fine, and just fix it on your won with junkyard parts etc. you could also buy back the car from the insurance company and part it out and make more money that way as well, well thats my 0.2 cents.

Anyway good luck with everything and let us know how you make out.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:04 AM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

sounds like it's going to be a close one. good luck and don't let them push you around.

Quick Reply: Unfortunate Car Accident!! Any idea on actual cash value????