4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Long tube headers

Old 06-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default Long tube headers

1. Are they street/emissions legal?
2. Do they really provide an additional 10hp on a 93 tuned vehicle?

I am wondering about what kind of setup I can go with here to make my car have longtubes, o/r x pipe, and have it still be street legal and emissions legal. I live in Connecticut, so the visual and sniff test is not required, as they just check for the CEL or trouble codes on 1996' and up.

My main concern is putting these headers on... If they were a simple bolt on bolt off job, id have no problem putting all my stock stuff back on when it came time for emissions. But the fact is that you pretty much have to (so i've heard) LIFT your entire engine out of your car just to get around the components to make them fit.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:21 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

IF they just check for CEL & you are positive they won't ever change their 'testing' methods in the future, you should be good to go. Only thing is, with an off road (non catted) mid pipe, you will have to do something about the rear oxygen sensors to prevent a CEL.

Non-catted mid pipes are not legal on street cars. Most people (including a lot of cops) don't really give a **** about it though, but there is a possibility if you get pulled over with no cats, you can get written up for it.

LT's with a mid pipe and tune (compared to a completely stock car) would probably give you a nice gain. Not exactly best bang for the buck, but they sound great.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:09 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

I would get catted mid-pipe most inspection stations can tell just by hearing it, the guy I went to knew I had no cats and I told him I did and he gave me a smirk, luckily he is a cool guy, but I know thanks to OBAMA they are really cracking down on emissions.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:42 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by MineralGrey
I would get catted mid-pipe most inspection stations can tell just by hearing it, the guy I went to knew I had no cats and I told him I did and he gave me a smirk, luckily he is a cool guy, but I know thanks to OBAMA they are really cracking down on emissions.
They cracked down on emissions before people ever heard of his name.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Yeah, I know about the whole emissions thing.

What I am wondering, though, is if long tube headers will mess with emission procedures or anything?

How hard are these to get bolted up to a basically stock 4.6L?
Old 06-01-2010, 10:14 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
They cracked down on emissions before people ever heard of his name.
I dunno the past two years have been the absolute worse for emissions, at least in my area.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:17 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

evenexchange check out the search button man./
Old 06-01-2010, 10:34 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by MineralGrey
I dunno the past two years have been the absolute worse for emissions, at least in my area.
They are going to keep going in that direction regardless of who is in office (unless a complete redneck is elected & attempts to bypass all of Congress somehow).

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
Yeah, I know about the whole emissions thing.

What I am wondering, though, is if long tube headers will mess with emission procedures or anything?

How hard are these to get bolted up to a basically stock 4.6L?
Difficulty is up there. Now, it's not something a total n00b cannot do but it will require a lot of time. I read on here removal of k-member or jacking the motor (or both) helps out.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:41 AM
stangit9090
2nd Gear Member

Installation is a major PITA.

I think theyre worth it. I love mine!
Old 06-01-2010, 10:43 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

^ Funny thing is Al Gore isn't backing up his whole campaign with carbon foot prints and green house effect anymore. And they still don't have any solid evidence that we are the initial cause of this whole green house gas thing. They found that this happens naturally within time over the earth's life. I just think its ridiculous the direction everything is going.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Long tube headers