4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

LOUD hum coming from back right tire, really need advice

Old 06-01-2010, 01:14 AM
dStuck
2nd Gear Member

Default LOUD hum coming from back right tire, really need advice

well i have a 98 GT and since i replaced the tires theres been a loud huming noise coming from the back right tire which is the only mismatched tire from the rest but it is a directional tire as are the rest of them and the same size. it starts at around 35-40 mph and changes in speed and for some reason goes away on right turns. i took off that wheel and the only thing i noticed is that the axle shaft has some movement like if you pull the studs they move in and out of the rotor holes 1/4" i took some pics with markings of how far it comes out. but idk if that can make the noise. im gonna put that tire up front and see.
what the hell do you guys think could be making the noise?

Last edited by dStuck; 06-01-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:16 AM
dStuck
2nd Gear Member

and about the size. i re sized em on photobucket and they weren't affected on here...
Old 06-01-2010, 04:19 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

wheel bearing maybe? I know the reason when you take a right turn is because your back right wheel is spinning slower than your back left during a right turn and vise versa.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:17 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

sounds like a rear wheel bearing. Replace both sides at the same time
Old 06-01-2010, 01:28 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I vote wheel bearing as well. Taking a right turn unloads the right side of the car and therefore unloads the bearing which is why you prob dont hear it.

Does it sound worse or just the same while taking a left turn? (putting more load on the right side)
Old 06-01-2010, 08:14 PM
dStuck
2nd Gear Member

i tried it today and it doesnt do it on left turns either. so wheel bearing huh.. how hard/ how much to replace. and i would be doing it myself.
and i moved that mismatched tire to the front and it seems the noise moved to the front but i cant tell if it's in my head or not.. could a tire do that?
Old 06-02-2010, 04:09 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

As far as I know, Not unless you had a knobby tire on that wheel but that would be a constant hum. From what you described it definitely sounds like a wheel bearing I haven't done one my self on this car but I can snap some pics from my Haynes manual if you want?
Old 06-02-2010, 07:27 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

A crappy worn out tire can create that noise. I would possibly get a matching tire and see if it fixes the problem.

My buddy's g/f bought a "new" car and has dry-rotted/worn front tires and right about 30mph it will make a hum noise.

But if the tire has plenty of tread and is not rotted, then I may still lean to wheel bearing. I dont suspect they are all that expensive. Give your local autozone etc a call.

take a pic of the tire in question and post it up.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:19 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Sounds to me like a wheel bearing issue as well. In and out movement on the axle is normal. Up and down movemnt is bad. If moving the tire didn't move the noise then id replace both rear bearings and check the axles very thoroughly. Any marks on the axle itself and it'll ruin the new bearing quick. Usually tire noise are a "whomping" "thumping" sound and bearings are a constant drone
Old 06-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I'm with smitty here....

Get all matching tires and see what happens. I have tires that hum at certain speeds and sometimes louder than others due to the tread pattern. This is normal and at times sounds exactly like an airplane directly above (not kidding!)

Jazzer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LOUD hum coming from back right tire, really need advice