4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Possibly looking for a NE GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DS002
http://www.mach1registry.com/Specs/Specs.htm

Bullits are cool and all, but too much of a jump in price for the upgrades they do have in my opinion. Mach 1 is the way to go, basically take a bullit and give it the DOHC 4.6L. Machs are by far the best New Edges you can buy after the Cobra, its not even really much of a comparison. The SOHC 4.6L's pretty much suck no matter what intake is on them.
Very helpful, especially the site. Thanks
Old 06-02-2010, 08:06 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Soldier is actually correct in the sense that the bullit is really only rated at 265 hp and the GT is 260... Trailor is correct in saying that the bullitt intake manifold can handle more power since it is aluminum (can handle nitrous and such better) and it provide a better powerband all throughout the RPM's...

The bullitt has the same brakes, and i think it has the same suspension setup as well. They both come with tokico's valved by ford and 600/lb springs up front and 250/lb out back... Mach's have the 3.55 gear ratio and bullitts have the 3.27 (i believe)

Mach's have the shaker, but bullitts have no wing, and they have some sweet *** side skirts...

The interiors are a LITTLE bit different i think, but either one is awesome compared to the GT or V6...

And of course mach's have the better engine in terms of power

I would take either one
Old 06-02-2010, 10:13 PM
DS002
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by alec231236
Very helpful, especially the site. Thanks
Np, just dont waste your time with a bullit unless youre a collector. No offense to the normal Bullit owners but Ive seen plenty of the not so normal ones try to make the molehill differences between a GT and Bullit look like mountains. Personally the only upgrade I think that is worth a damn on the bullits is the brakes, 90% of GT owners swap their springs and shocks as their first mods and most of the time with superior components than what come on the Bullit. I doubt think the bullits shocks/struts/springs really come close to comparing to my D-specs and H&R's.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:31 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by DS002
Np, just dont waste your time with a bullit unless youre a collector. No offense to the normal Bullit owners but Ive seen plenty of the not so normal ones try to make the molehill differences between a GT and Bullit look like mountains. Personally the only upgrade I think that is worth a damn on the bullits is the brakes, 90% of GT owners swap their springs and shocks as their first mods and most of the time with superior components than what come on the Bullit. I doubt think the bullits shocks/struts/springs really come close to comparing to my D-specs and H&R's.
Okay so what (if any) are the differences between the Bullitt & GT suspension (stock form)?
Old 06-03-2010, 12:05 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

If you could swing it, I'd look for an 03 or 04 Mach 1...then behind that a 03-04 GT.

Pretty much depends on how paitient you are and your budget.The Mach is the best FOR ME (though I own a 04 GT...the deal fell into my lap) being a DD in winters and what not. Better interior than a GT, capable of winter driving unlike a Cobra (03-04) would be.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:22 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

If I could do it again, I would have purchased a Mach 1. There is so much more potential than a GT.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTRACER88
If I could do it again, I would have purchased a Mach 1. There is so much more potential than a GT.
I agree with you in a sense man.. If I could do it all over again I would have purchased a 99 Cobra.. but I'm into deep now (especially when I install the S/C) to even think about owning anything else..
Old 06-03-2010, 12:28 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

well i understand some of these vehicles by ford have been under/over-rated thru the years, but according to ford, the 99/01 cobras came with 320hp to the crank. i understand some of you believe this is not true, and ford was actually exposed in 99 for giving a false report in 99 on this rating. so, in 01, they corrected the output to match the rating they claimed, which is 320 to the crank. so unless the mach's are underrated by 15hp, they should not be faster than an 01 cobra.

as far as bullitts are concerned, they are a better car than the GT and should be priced as such. however, some people do ask over 10k for em and thats just ridiculous. if you can find one at 8k with decent miles, id say you got a good deal, but thats just me. keep in mind that people with GTs pay ~$1200 just for the bullitts intake manifold, and then pay a couple hundred, sometimes more, for their brakes, and then spend an unknown sum of money for suspension upgrades. at the end of the day, that just makes them even with, or possibly slightly better than, a bullitt..
Old 06-03-2010, 03:57 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by trailor
for one thing, you could not be more incorrect about the Bullitt. the intake is completely different and allows for more power to be had than a stock GT. ALSO, the intake allows for a more even distribution of horsepower through the power band, making it more of a plateau (which is desired) rather than a peak and drop-off (like the GT). the intake manifold itself is actually metal, rather than plastic like the GT, and it comes with a dual throttle body. also, the brakes and suspension are much better than the GT, and i think are better than the mach1. the only way the mach1 "outclasses" the Bullitt is by having 2 extra cams, 2 extra valves per cylinder, and the shaker hood.. all in all, mach1s are just 99/01 cobras with a fancy hood and less power.

nah not really. mach 1's have higher compression. more horse power ( actually make around 330) and better gearing ( 3.55) I gaurantee a mach 1 will beat a 99-01 cobra mod for mod in any race.

I do agree about the Bullitt Though, i'd love one of those!

Last edited by boduke0220; 06-03-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:18 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by trailor
well i understand some of these vehicles by ford have been under/over-rated thru the years, but according to ford, the 99/01 cobras came with 320hp to the crank. i understand some of you believe this is not true, and ford was actually exposed in 99 for giving a false report in 99 on this rating. so, in 01, they corrected the output to match the rating they claimed, which is 320 to the crank. so unless the mach's are underrated by 15hp, they should not be faster than an 01 cobra.

as far as bullitts are concerned, they are a better car than the GT and should be priced as such. however, some people do ask over 10k for em and thats just ridiculous. if you can find one at 8k with decent miles, id say you got a good deal, but thats just me. keep in mind that people with GTs pay ~$1200 just for the bullitts intake manifold, and then pay a couple hundred, sometimes more, for their brakes, and then spend an unknown sum of money for suspension upgrades. at the end of the day, that just makes them even with, or possibly slightly better than, a bullitt..
There is NOTHING that a bullitt has over a Mach 1. End of story. The Mach will take it in the corners and straight line with more potential! 4v > 2v. There shouldn't even be a comparison. The acceleration in the Mach are far greater out of the box and even when you mod the Mach will always have the advantage. Like I said. Don't make my mistake of getting a 2v. Get a 4v while your ahead. Once you own a 2v and drop over 2K on bull sh*t bolt ons to barly KEEP up with a 4v you will think twice about the $10K decision you invested called 2v.

Quick Reply: Possibly looking for a NE GT