4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Cutting Springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 06:29 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

you are not going to get rid of the rough ride in the rear without coilovers or an IRS bud...sorry to say it. the higher spring rate is only gonna make it worse from where you're at now.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:32 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Ya, the shocks/struts are fine so far, I had to get camber bolts (cheaper than cc plates) to help out with my alignment, I chewed through my front tires without the camber bolts. I scrape everywhere on my cats though, damn CA and the speed bumps! That was a coil in the back and 1.25 coils cut in the front.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:35 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
you are not going to get rid of the rough ride in the rear without coilovers or an IRS bud...sorry to say it. the higher spring rate is only gonna make it worse from where you're at now.
Right now, my car rides very smooth.. Perhaps too smooth. That's why i am looking to stiffen things up a little bit. Nowhere did i say i was worried about a rough ride. I just wanted to find out if these tokico HP's can handle the drop i am looking for.

IRS is a no-go and coilovers are a fortune.

And coilovers on a SRA = rougher ride... Coilovers on an IRS = nice ride.

Thanks crash!
Old 06-04-2010, 07:58 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

coilovers aren't a rougher ride from what I've heard. but that's what I've heard...not experienced so I could be wrong. and I know you weren't concerned about a rough ride...but im warning you that you should be. the lower you go in the operating range of the shocks/struts, the harsher the ride is gonna be and the quicker they will wear out. I think you'll be fine with the tokico HP's, but I think you'll be needing shocks and struts sooner than you should with that low of a ride height. I think that there is a reason they are $300/set where some other ones are $600/set. the tokicos are great for dd with minimal lowering i'd say but for going slammed, id be careful.

just watchin your back man.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:00 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Thanks for lookin out

I am not going much lower... More like H&R SS height and then a little bit more...

check out Z28KLR... He has the sportslines and that thing is slammed! so sexy!
Old 06-05-2010, 12:18 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
How did his car ride with the stock shocks/struts and the cut springs lol

got pic of his ride?

945LSTANG - didnt you cut your front stockers?
yeah i cut 3/4 of a coil at all 4 corners. fronts sit a tad lower than the rears, but its very slight. if i had cut anymore off, i would have almost no ground clearance. the ride quality is identical too which is a huge plus for me.

it was a very easy job to do. i tackled it on my own in about 7 hours with a cut-off wheel.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:27 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

heres a pic:

not the best pic i've ever taken, but you get the idea.

Last edited by 945LSTANG; 06-05-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Cutting coils isn't really as big of a deal as some people make it out to be but don't expect it to ride as good as a progressive at the same height. Don't cut more than 1.5 coils and you'll be fine. Also look into shorter shocks and struts.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:16 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Something that i have to say is look at budders' car. His car is SS's with no isos...i was talking with him the other day and he was driving down a flat road and he was scraping all over the place. Not going that low...accept for car shows. lol
Old 06-05-2010, 03:29 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

Cutting coil springs is a time honroed hot rodder tradition. I cut 1/2 a coil out of my 1970 Torino Cobra when I was in HS (a year or two ago). Progressive rate springs and aftermarket springs a re fine - if you have the cash. But you can get pretty good results on a street car.

Fewer coils will slightly increase your spring rate. But that's not a bad thing. When you have a shorter coil, you want to decrease the range of motion a little bit. The downside is a slightly harsher ride. But performance springs usually have a higher rate, and also cause a harsher ride.

The big trick with cuting the springs is to minimize the heat. If the metal gets too hot it will lose it's temper and rapidly sag. Then it's just a piece of emtal, and not a spring any more. You can place the spring in a bucket of water with just that 1/4 coil sticking out. Or wrap it in a wet rag right up to the cut line. When steam comes off the rag or out of the bucket, stop. Cool off the metal and then continue cutting.

NEVER use a torch on a spring. Back in my day, plasma cutters had not been invented yet, so I don't know if you could use one or not. I'd be reluctant to do it , though.

Quick Reply: Cutting Springs