4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

T-45 grind on take off, tricky reverse

Old 03-07-2010, 07:16 AM
tHedinGo

Default T-45 grind on take off, tricky reverse

I recently bought a 99 mustang gt (2 weeks ago) 5spd t-45 trans, the car has almost 90k miles on it. When starting out in 1st gear at low rpm as soon as I start to let out on the clutch it breifly makes a grinding sound or rattle, this also happens when lightly releasing clutch from a slow rolling start. The sound only happens in first while letting out on clutch. The noise doesnt occur until I start to let out. Getting the car into reverse is troublesome, I almost always have to put it in first n creep up a little then try getting it in or I shift 3-4, 5-R this almost always works. Shifting gears seems a little clunky sometimes example if I shift to second after a turn second gear engages with an awkward click n a little convencing. The rough shifting could just be me, I had a 6-speed tiburon before and shifting was almost effortless.. I have no knowledge of prior maintance I am the third owner the second owner only had the car a short period of time and had very little information. Could this be caused by the clutch wearing out? I am assuming the clutch is original because second owner did not replace it, and when I changed the spark plugs to fix a studder (possible code-less misfire?) while under 1,800 rpm's they appeared to be the originals. So no tellin what other fun im going to be getting into.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:24 AM
soccerman002
2nd Gear Member

From what I've read, the notchiness is normal when you first start driving, but as the tranny fluid warms it does get better (I've got a 99 Cobra, experience the same thing). And your comment about getting into reverse is also fairly common as well. Putting into it 1st gear was recommended to me as well, and it does make it easier to get into reverse if I creep forward a few inches first.

I changed my tranny fluid a few months ago and noticed some improvement, but notchy shifting during the first few minutes of driving is pretty commonplace.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:39 AM
tHedinGo

I will have to give the fluid a change this weekend, maybe that will help me out too. Did you fill through the shifter? or pump it into the fill hole?
Old 03-08-2010, 04:00 AM
JerseyTrueBlue
1st Gear Member

Yeah my T-45 is notchy as well on a cold start, even after a rebuild. It did get noticably better after changing the clutch in my car though especially because the throwout bearing was shot. Do you have a short throw in the car? Or is it the stock shifter?
Old 03-08-2010, 04:36 AM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tHedinGo
I recently bought a 99 mustang gt (2 weeks ago) 5spd t-45 trans, the car has almost 90k miles on it. When starting out in 1st gear at low rpm as soon as I start to let out on the clutch it breifly makes a grinding sound or rattle, this also happens when lightly releasing clutch from a slow rolling start. The sound only happens in first while letting out on clutch. The noise doesnt occur until I start to let out. Getting the car into reverse is troublesome, I almost always have to put it in first n creep up a little then try getting it in or I shift 3-4, 5-R this almost always works. Shifting gears seems a little clunky sometimes example if I shift to second after a turn second gear engages with an awkward click n a little convencing. The rough shifting could just be me, I had a 6-speed tiburon before and shifting was almost effortless.. I have no knowledge of prior maintance I am the third owner the second owner only had the car a short period of time and had very little information. Could this be caused by the clutch wearing out? I am assuming the clutch is original because second owner did not replace it, and when I changed the spark plugs to fix a studder (possible code-less misfire?) while under 1,800 rpm's they appeared to be the originals. So no tellin what other fun im going to be getting into.
Did you take the car back yet and say, "fix it"?
Old 03-08-2010, 04:37 AM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by soccerman002
From what I've read, the notchiness is normal when you first start driving, but as the tranny fluid warms it does get better (I've got a 99 Cobra, experience the same thing). And your comment about getting into reverse is also fairly common as well. Putting into it 1st gear was recommended to me as well, and it does make it easier to get into reverse if I creep forward a few inches first.

I changed my tranny fluid a few months ago and noticed some improvement, but notchy shifting during the first few minutes of driving is pretty commonplace.
Hmmm...sounds like a poor performing transmission fluid possibly.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:12 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Reverse on a T-45 transmission is not synchronized. That's why you sometimes have to go to first and jog the car. If it is already solidly in first when you let the clutch out and you hear a grinding sound, I wouldn't think that is your transmission. I would suspect your clutch or throwout bearing first. Can you down shift to first without getting the grinding sound? If its under warranty, take it back and get it fixed.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:10 AM
soccerman002
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RogerDodger1
Hmmm...sounds like a poor performing transmission fluid possibly.
It's synchromesh, as recommended in just about every thread I've read on the subject.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:23 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by soccerman002
It's synchromesh, as recommended in just about every thread I've read on the subject.
Per Ford, the 1999 Mustang with the 5-speed manual transmission is supposed to use automatic transmission fluid. If the transmission isn't using the proper fluid, possibly this is what is causing the problem?

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehic...FORD+MUSTANG+V
Old 03-09-2010, 03:09 AM
tHedinGo

Yea its the stock shifter, I had to work tonight so I slept all day I work 12am-8am and never called anywhere but I bought a warrenty with the car so we will see how it turns out. The only crappy part is warrenty doesnt do clutches.. But SVE makes a nice clutch kit (comparable to KC) for 160.00$ is a nodular iron flywheel worth it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T-45 grind on take off, tricky reverse