4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

tranny help cliffk?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 11:10 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

well, the pivot ball was fine. I even switched it out with a longer one hopeing for a better throw, and it did the opposite. So now i cant fix it with the clutch cable, changing the pivot ball for the clutch fork didnt work. So now tranny is coming out and im hoping to god that there is something visably wrong with the pressure plate, or the clutch fork or the throw out bearing, because otherwise i have no clue what to do to fix this stupid problem.......

Jazzer....could you do me a favor? or anyone who did the t-56 swap.....can you jack up the car and take the dust cover off the clutch cable, and take a picture of it in rest mode, and a picture of it with the clutch all the way in? and maybe take a throw measurement, how many inches it moves from rest to engaged? so i can see what it needs to be? because maybe the clutch is moving like its suposed to and somthing happened to the pressure plate that i my not be able to see.....and since i have no clue how far its supposed to move i cant check it......that would be awsome.

edit: and i did mean throw out bearing....

Last edited by Bman2000; 06-12-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:45 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I like the way you think, Bman

I will try to get under there this morning and see if I can get this info for you. Meanwhile, take a peek at my T-56 swap thread and the little video in there. It "may" help you, but probably not due a focus of my return spring and NOT the questions above. I also probably have a different clutch, Cobra 11", as I recall, so this may differ as well.

Anyway, I will see what I can do when it is light outside. It is now 5:40 and the sun is not up yet and the gal-pal wants me to make her my super-duper apple/blueberry pancakes, as I have not made them for a while now (psst... that drool is for BOTH my g/f and my breakfast creation!)

Jazzer.... The IHOP master
Old 06-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

OK, I just put my ride up on some blocks and realized the front cats are completely obstructing the opening of this cover. In order to see in there and get some pics/measurments, I would have to get up on a lift and cannot do this today.

The best I can offer is to take a better look next week when I plan to get it up on a lift and weld some suspension parts together. This may be too long for you to wait, but the only thing I can do, sorry

Jazzer
Old 06-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

well thanks for looking if i cant get it figured out, then ill have to wait and see what you find. I think ill take some of my own measurements, then finish pulling the tranny out. And if i cant find anything visually wrong, then i may have to wait and see what you find. I have a 10.5 centerforce....but i dont beleive the size of the clutch changes the amount of movement it takes to disengage.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:51 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Bman' I saw this thread, but have nothing to offer--you seem to be pursuing the possible causes of your problem.

How much free play is in the pedal? If should be 1-1/4" to 1-5/8" max...
Old 06-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

wasnt sure you saw me cliffy was hoping you hadnt. The free play ive had at that, and ive tightened it all the way to no free play, just to see if i can even get it to disengage all the way and i couldnt. Im just worried im going to pull it out and see absolutly nothing wrong....at this point it seems to me it has to be the clutch fork or the pressure plate, but both so far seem to be visually ok. Its just odd worked great for 600 miles, then POOP and i have no clue whats going on.

Do you have any clue what the distance that fork is suposed to move, on the cable side....cuz if im lucky maybe i get a measurement from someone that has a working car, and that may tell me the throw is fine, which would point to the pressure plate right?
Old 06-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I spoke to my buddy a few minutes ago and he is going to set up an appointment at his buddies shoppe to nut and bolt my ride. When done, I need him to strengthen some suspension parts via welding, so I should have some time to peep the cable access cover for some pics and measurements for you. He thinks Thursday will work, so I will let you know.

Jazzer
Old 06-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

thanks. im going to be really sad if it turns out the pressure plate failed....i mean what are the odds that a company like centerforce would get that wrong. you pay enough for the dam thing, lol and its not like im making stupid power....
Old 06-14-2010, 04:16 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The pedal on my '03 is about 11.0" long from the pivot rod to the center of the foot pad, the quadrant has a 2.75" radius making the mechanical advantage 4:1 (11.0/2.75).

The center of the foot pad travels 7.0" from the "at rest" position to the floor board, so the cable is moving 1.75" (7.0/4) maximum. The throwout lever has to be moving that same distance.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:23 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

The Cliffster breakin' off some fab high-tech info for the Bman... bravo sir

Jazzer is impressed with his pepes knowledge and tenacity

Quick Reply: tranny help cliffk?