4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

tranny help cliffk?

Old 06-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

Default tranny help cliffk?

Ok so i wrote a thing saying how my car stopped shifting. When i got under it i managed to figure out the clutch arm wasnt disengaging the clutch all the way. I figured since the cable was old and what not that i had streched it. So i replaced it with a quadrant and firewall adjuster with a new cable.

Well it still doesnt disengage all the way. The only thing i can think of is that big post on the inside of that transmission that the other end of the clutch arm sits on, may have come loose? Is that the only thing left that could be wrong? And whats the pivot percentage? like is it 1 to 1? or is it 2 to 1? Just trying to get an idea if it did come loose how far it might be out, its keeping the last 1/2-3/4 of an inch travel to fully disengage the clutch.

Im looking to unbolt the bell housing tomarrow night, slide the tranny back like an 1-1/2 and hoping to slide a wrench in there and fix it. Im really trying to get it going for saturdays BURNOUT comp......me and my wife really want to be in it. If there is any other posibility please let me know what i can do to get it fixed. even if i have to pull an all nighter. THANK YOU
Old 06-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Try this, as your issue sounds a bit like what I had a couple years back...

But first, is the clutch hard to push in now that you have replaced the cable and quadrant?

Jazzer

PS. I will try to continue to check this post to keep you moving, or you can PM me and I will send YOU my phone number and we can talk as I did the clutch/trans already. This way YOU can pay for the call
Old 06-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

no new cable set up works as well as the old one did. the clutch isnt hard to push in. As far as i can tell litterally the only thing keeping my set up from working is the half inch of throw thats left. I can make it work fine when i clamp or push the last little bit. i know its not the transmission, it works great, its just shifting.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Silly question, but is the cable hooked to the very last hole of quadrant and adjuster all the way in?

Jazzer
Old 06-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

as far as i can tell it has all been installed corectally. Looks like its supposed to.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:56 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

did you try adjusting the firewall adjuster yet? lol
Old 06-11-2010, 08:09 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Firewall adjuster is what I meant, but forgot that word

Jazzer.... the loser
Old 06-11-2010, 10:24 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

The firewall adjuster has a good bit of range, and so does the quadrant. Adjust them both as far as possible and see what happens.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

the quadrant isnt an adjustable one, just bought one from MM....and if i back the adjuster out anymore i end up running the pilot bearing all the time. As it is its out over an inch, for normal use. its only like 2 inches long. I got the tranny part way out, and the post is still fine. So got another question, is the factory clutch arm for the t-45 the same as the t-56 clutch arm? And lastly if the presure plate is bad, because thats almost all thats left, is there any way at all to check it? and just so everyone knows, if i tighten it enough to get it fully disengaged id be running it probebly slipping, when its suposed to be fully engaged. So think out side the clutch cable, because it doesnt appear to be that.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:31 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

If you are on the farthest hole of quadrant AND the adjuster is soo far out you are about to run on the throw-out bearing (not the pilot bearing, in case you are confused, but maybe just a type-o), and you STILL cannot completely dissengage.... you have the wrong cable or wrong quadrant for your clutch. I suppose it is possible to have the wrong arm or "pivot bolt" (I don't know the proper name for it) as ANY moving part may be an issue here.

Jazzer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tranny help cliffk?