4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

buying 2003-04 mustang

Old 06-15-2010, 11:00 AM
jimmy428
2nd Gear Member

Default buying 2003-04 mustang

Hey guys, I am interested in buying an 03-04 mustang and need some guidance. I want something that is quick right out of the factory b/c I don't have any money or desire to do anything to it.

I like the mach 1s, but have a few questions.

its hard to find an auto, but if i do get the auto does it have a locking diff?

what about a regular gt? are they worth it? does it have a locking diff as well in both auto and manual?

cobras are a little pricey, but would love to get one that isn't over 100,000 miles. i always come across them with so many miles on em.

thanks for the help. oh and btw, is there really that much a difference between manual and auto performance wise? it seems most of the new cars today are manual. i have no preference and just drive whatever comes my way (please don't argue over this question though lol)
Old 06-15-2010, 11:33 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by jimmy428
Hey guys, I am interested in buying an 03-04 mustang and need some guidance. I want something that is quick right out of the factory b/c I don't have any money or desire to do anything to it.
To get "quick right out of the factory" you need a Cobra, or at least the Mach 1.

I like the mach 1s, but have a few questions.

its hard to find an auto, but if i do get the auto does it have a locking diff?
All 2003 ans 2004 V8 mustangs have the limited slip, "Traction lock", differential. Technically it is not a "locker"...

what about a regular gt? are they worth it? does it have a locking diff as well in both auto and manual?
See above...

cobras are a little pricey, but would love to get one that isn't over 100,000 miles. i always come across them with so many miles on em.

thanks for the help. oh and btw, is there really that much a difference between manual and auto performance wise? it seems most of the new cars today are manual. i have no preference and just drive whatever comes my way (please don't argue over this question though lol)
Yes, the manual transmissions have a distinct performance advantage over a stock automatic--however autos can be tuned and built-up to where that advantage pretty much goes away...
Old 06-15-2010, 12:41 PM
v braaten
1st Gear Member

Get the 5 speed just for the joy of driving a Mustang. But seriously, If you drive a lot in heavy traffic, with stop and go on the freeway, then get the auto.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:35 PM
jimmy428
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the posts guys. as you can tell i am limited to what i know about these newer vehicles.

i do drive a lot so i may consider the auto, but there is a chance to buy a 2004 mach 1 5spd manual in the color (competition orange) i like for 16k. i'll keep looking to see my options. the cobras are really up in the 20k range.

oh, and i haven't come across an auto cobra yet. do they make em in auto?

Last edited by jimmy428; 06-15-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:52 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

No auto Cobras from factory.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:06 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimmy428
thanks for the posts guys. as you can tell i am limited to what i know about these newer vehicles.

i do drive a lot so i may consider the auto, but there is a chance to buy a 2004 mach 1 5spd manual in the color (competition orange) i like for 16k. i'll keep looking to see my options. the cobras are really up in the 20k range.

oh, and i haven't come across an auto cobra yet. do they make em in auto?
that seems like a bit much for an 04 mach, prices have come down on them alot.
You may wanna check out 01 cobras as well. The Machs probably have a slight edge over the cobras but not by much. Also the Mach has a solid rear axel the 99+ cobras have an Independent Rear.

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
No auto Cobras from factory.
This is correct. +1 for the manual for the fun factor, unless you're running 10s or faster manual> auto for the pure fun factor alone, esp if you do a good bit of spirited driving on the street. Even if you're running .2 better with your built stalled auto i'll take the fun of a manual.

IIRC i've seen a few machs for 14 and under with pretty good milage on em.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:13 AM
Explosive

Personally I got over the 5 speed thing pretty quick. I can drive a 5 speed, I have a 5 speed. But for a DD I want an auto. I've been scanning the calssified lately looking for the right car. I really want a mach 1, but finding one at a decent price with an auto is about impossible, I'd say 1 out of 20 are automatics, there just arent a lot out there, and all the autos I did find were pretty high mileage cars.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:50 AM
TRAIL BOSS
1st Gear Member

It like stick shifts.3 of my 4 current rides have sticks.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:58 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Where are you located? You should PM boduke...he has his black Mach 1 for sale and its in GREAT condition...
Old 06-16-2010, 09:24 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

IMO, if you have no money or desire to mod a mustang than maybe you should hold off on getting one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: buying 2003-04 mustang