4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

2002 stang help/options

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:57 PM
BigBadWolF

Default 2002 stang help/options

ok....so this is gonna be a long post, deal with me because i am not the best at spelling and grammer.

It all started when i wanted to buy the wife a stang. she is a ford girl, and a wrench(she is a mech)... her uncle is the pres of fab ford 50's, so she has been wrenching on old fords her entire life....she had a 69 stang 302, putting up 512n/a, that she built her self, she was sponcer by a few large companys (holly, borla, ect..)...anyways just a lil history.

so i meet a owner of a shop, he needs a network, i need a mustang. so we do some trade.

well the stang he has is a 02 drop top gt with a blown motor. he states he will put a new motor in it, in trade for a network.

**** YA!!

wellll.....fast forward to now...after fixing the POS motor every month (keeps ****ting spark plugs, even with heli coils) we find out he put a 240k thunderbird motor in it... nice......

soooo..... the pos rod knocking spark plug ****ting thunderbird motor is tired and worthless.

I have some extra $$ and i want to get her a new motor....

i am a chevy guy, so i know very little about the different 4.6 motors.
naturally i want to get her a corba 4.6 ***** to the wall, but the check book will not allow it.

so i have been looking into other options....this is where i need help.

i can do a crown vic motor. (compairable to the GT?
i can do a murader motor (compairable to the cobra?
i can do a mark vii also (compairable to the cobra?

my goal is to get her car back to a pretty damn good setup....something that would put a smile on her face....nothing like her 69 but at least something that would blow the socks off the POS thunder bird motor...

thanks
Wolf
Old 06-15-2010, 01:44 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigBadWolF
ok....so this is gonna be a long post, deal with me because i am not the best at spelling and grammer.

It all started when i wanted to buy the wife a stang. she is a ford girl, and a wrench(she is a mech)... her uncle is the pres of fab ford 50's, so she has been wrenching on old fords her entire life....she had a 69 stang 302, putting up 512n/a, that she built her self, she was sponcer by a few large companys (holly, borla, ect..)...anyways just a lil history.

so i meet a owner of a shop, he needs a network, i need a mustang. so we do some trade.

well the stang he has is a 02 drop top gt with a blown motor. he states he will put a new motor in it, in trade for a network.

**** YA!!

wellll.....fast forward to now...after fixing the POS motor every month (keeps ****ting spark plugs, even with heli coils) we find out he put a 240k thunderbird motor in it... nice......

soooo..... the pos rod knocking spark plug ****ting thunderbird motor is tired and worthless.

I have some extra $$ and i want to get her a new motor....

i am a chevy guy, so i know very little about the different 4.6 motors.
naturally i want to get her a corba 4.6 ***** to the wall, but the check book will not allow it.

so i have been looking into other options....this is where i need help.

i can do a crown vic motor. (compairable to the GT?
i can do a murader motor (compairable to the cobra?
i can do a mark vii also (compairable to the cobra?

my goal is to get her car back to a pretty damn good setup....something that would put a smile on her face....nothing like her 69 but at least something that would blow the socks off the POS thunder bird motor...

thanks
Wolf

Sounds like you have a talented lady friend!

Honestly...before offering any useful advice...what is your budget?
Old 06-15-2010, 01:55 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Op if I were you I'd pickup a used 99-04 2v motor, throw some longtubes/offroad H or X (depending on preference/ 4.10 gears/short throw and tuner and call it a day. That would be the quickest and most cost effective 2v IMHO.

Last edited by PurpleIcedGT; 06-15-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:09 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

budget please...
Old 06-15-2010, 02:13 PM
K Z
2nd Gear Member

Then you can always put a 5.4l in.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:13 PM
BigBadWolF

Originally Posted by teej281
budget please...
1500 to drop on the motor then about 400-500 a month to drop on the build
Old 06-15-2010, 02:18 PM
BigBadWolF

i am thinking about buying a mark8 block and going from there found one local for 600$ with 80k miles
Old 06-15-2010, 02:21 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

just save the money that you have now and save for another 5 months or so and put a forged shortblock in it and some decent heads and cams then put a blower on it for her for her birthday or valentine's day(since she is a gear head she'd probably appreciate it for that occation lol).
Old 06-15-2010, 02:24 PM
BigBadWolF

Originally Posted by teej281
just save the money that you have now and save for another 5 months or so and put a forged shortblock in it and some decent heads and cams then put a blower on it for her for her birthday or valentine's day(since she is a gear head she'd probably appreciate it for that occation lol).
she does not belive in a blower unless its stock....she is a N/A girl....

ya i guess i am just trying to rush it....well thanks for the advise
Old 06-15-2010, 02:31 PM
BigBadWolF

well u will see me back when i got 5k LOL

later guys

Quick Reply: 2002 stang help/options