MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion-88/)
-   -   MMR front coilover's? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/606059-mmr-front-coilovers.html)

zero2005 06-18-2010 10:51 PM

MMR front coilover's?

Just wondering if anyone is running MMR's front coilover kit? if so how do you like them?

trying to decide wether to go with UPR's or MMR's. MMR's are cheaper if you compare them with springs, but they dont list a price without springs (i dont need springs, have 2 pairs to choose from, 300x12, 225x14).

smashten 06-19-2010 06:27 PM

If you go with UPR your strut options are limited. I think lakewood and one other make.

zero2005 06-19-2010 06:38 PM

my choice of strut will be Koni Yellows, for older foxbody's. reason is for more wheel travel when lowered.
I've emailed them, and they confirmed they work with Koni Yellows.

smashten 06-19-2010 07:35 PM

UPR told you that? I'm looking at getting a k-member kit with lca's and coil overs. Guys at UPR told me they didn't know why, but that their CO's are only set up for the 2 different makes of struts.

zero2005 06-19-2010 09:37 PM

quote from email from Jeremy Martorella [uprwholesale@gmail.com] :
"Yes the Koni's will work with the coil over kit. As far as the fox body struts?? I have never dealt with that combo before. I know some fox body struts don't even work with the 94-04 spindles. That might be a good question for a mustang forum."

edit: as far as i can tell, most struts use the same basic body design, so i wouldnt see why most struts would not work? the lakewoods at least body wise look mostly the same as stock. the ones i know are different are the bilsteins.

still waiting on an email from MMR to confirm that 1. koni's will surely work with thier kit (it says on thier page but i want to verify) and 2. to see if they sell the kit without springs. i know its the weekend and all, but i emailed them on wednesday i think. maybe i'll try again.

teej281 06-20-2010 09:06 AM

what are you trying to do with your car? if you are going 1/4 mile racing then your front springs are probably right where you wanna be but your dampers are not meant for drag racing and you would probably see better performance from lakewoods or strange 10 ways. if you're going for the twisties, your springs are WAY too soft!!! for twisties you want probably a minimum of 300-325lb front springs and I know koni yellows can handle about 350-375lb springs for the front application because I was planning on using 350's on the front but im running bilsteins now and going with 375lb springs on the front and then for my IRS im using hopefully 575lb springs if the bilsteins I have can handle it.jist of this post...if you're drag racing, get new dampers. if you're taking twisties fast, get stiffer springs and probably look into better coilover kits like griggs and maximum motorsports.

zero2005 06-20-2010 10:16 AM

Mostly Street. im running QA1's with 225's right now and the ride sucks (cuz the QA1's are just crap), i've tried em with the 300's and its worse, no matter how i adjust em. the only way i could get a decent ride without the feel of sending a strut through the hood was to go back to the 225's with about 5-7 turns from full negative (has about 10-12 turns total available) EDIT: QA1 even suggest i try 175's, but i wasnt about the spend the cash on new springs for no reason when i knew it wasnt going to improve much and was more of a bandaid fix than anything.

if i get the koni's, i was planning on trying the 300's first, then go from there if needed. if i get new springs, they also wont be QA1, im goin hypercoil lol.

everyone's opinion of what springs to run is different, you might like 375's, but i might not.

teej281 06-20-2010 11:13 AM

well i'll put it this way...stock springs are 450lb springs in stock location. so its going to/should ride better than stock due to the decrease in spring rate. but im saying you want to run 325lb springs or stiffer for performance handling. and you didn't answer my question of what kind of driving you are planning on doing. if you're not going to be worrying about handling like a champ 300's will work for you but you also have to pair your spring rate to the damper. make sure that the springs are in the operating range of the konis or its not going to function correctly. but everything that im telling you is not opinion, its fact. do research on suspension and talk to the experts on suspension and you learn quite a bit. im doing full coilovers with an irs with full delrin bushings and eventually a full tubular k up front. performance handling you NEED a 350lb spring or better(because you actually should have a 700lb stock location front spring for performance handling and do the math and you need probably a 375lb spring to equal the wheel rate...but 350 is close enough) and for drag racing you probably shouldn't go over 225lb springs.

zero2005 06-20-2010 12:00 PM

Look I don't wanna get into a huge debate over strut vs spring rate
as i said street use and daily driving. At least till I get a beater truck.
You say 225 for drag and 375 for twistiest. I'm right in the middle. As I said again ill see how the 300s are then go from there. It is personal pref. You might like 600s and the way they make the car feel. But I might like a car with softer springs. I'm pretty familiar with coilovers. I installed them myself. I have a fully tubular qa1 front. The qa1 struts are crap. I'm lookin for replacements and the konis fit my budget.

Jazzer The Cat 06-20-2010 12:20 PM

I ran a 300# (front) 200# (rear and still do!) CO on Koni Yellows for a couple years. They were wonderful on the street. They were just not heavy enough for anything very aggressive, such as AX and oval track work.

Zero... the 300# is going to be fine :D

Jazzer :)