4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Methanol Injection...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 09:36 PM
smythge
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Harryman2002
So it doesnt increase power than?
Sorry, as of ten minutes ago I knew nothing about this subject
Methanol by itself does not increase horsepower, it is not like nitrous. It will allow you to increase your timing which will increase horsepower, it lowers your intake air temps which will increase horsepower and it will allow you to increase your boost which creates more horsepower. You have to have the car tuned for it to take advantage of the higher octane rating, as well as the increase in methanol (fuel) you're spraying.

Just bolting on the kit and not tuning it can actually decrease your power as the increased fuel you're injecting will cause it to run rich.

Last edited by smythge; 06-20-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Harryman2002
3rd Gear Member

OK, I understand. So you can essentially tune it to the amount of power you want?
Old 06-20-2010, 09:47 PM
smythge
4th Gear Member

OK, I understand. So you can essentially tune it to the amount of power you want?
Take 10 minutes and read this --------------------> http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...icle_info.html

It sounds like you're worried about the amount of power your stock motor can handle, If you don't want more power, I wouldn't go through the trouble of installing Methanol. A non intercooled V1 with a 3.6" pulley is going to be pushing 6-8psi of boost which will put you around 360hp at the crank, people have pushed the stock motors much futher than that.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Harryman2002
3rd Gear Member

Alright cool. Thanks that helps alot. I was reading parts of it throught the last 15 minutes. And thats pretty much exactly the set up I have except its a V2
Old 06-20-2010, 09:59 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smythge
Take 10 minutes and read this --------------------> http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...icle_info.html

It sounds like you're worried about the amount of power your stock motor can handle, If you don't want more power, I wouldn't go through the trouble of installing Methanol. A non intercooled V1 with a 3.6" pulley is going to be pushing 6-8psi of boost which will put you around 360hp at the crank, people have pushed the stock motors much futher than that.
While you are correct, my v1 with a 3.6 pulley had terrible heat soak. Without meth you will have insanely high intake temps. To the op, not running meth will keep you from reaching the power the blower is capable of. On a stock motor if you run the v1 with meth you will still be ok power wise. Not running meth could actually be more dangerous because of detonation at the higher intake temps.

If you have the car dyno tuned without meth and say you make 360 at the wheels, that will most likely be under ideal conditions with low intake temps. Now, when you hit the streets or strip your intake temps will be insanely higher. Meaning you will be loosing timing and power! You can keep your timing where it is with meth if you are affraid of the power (you shouldn't be) and simply tune the fuel part of the tune mainly for the meth. That way you still get the cooling effect.

Tuning the car and then putting the meth on without tuning again will result in the tune becoming rich. which is why you must tune for the meth. I honestly feel if you don't go either meth on IC you will regret it. It takes only sitting at a red light or in the staging lanes a couple of minutes and then the intake temps are going to rise. Then when you go WOT they will rise more.

If you have meth in this case as soon as you go WOT you will start injecting the meth and dropping your intake temps so the car will run safer and make more power/closer to the dynoed power.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Harryman2002
3rd Gear Member

Alright thanks a lot for all of the help.
Any ideas how much it typically costs for a shop to do the install?
Old 06-20-2010, 10:19 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

IMHO I would only use meth injection as a cooling function. If you use it as an octane booster you are asking for trouble if your nozzle plugs up or you run out of meth your motor is shot.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:19 PM
smythge
4th Gear Member

Alright thanks a lot for all of the help.
Any ideas how much it typically costs for a shop to do the install?
$300-400 for the kit $300-$400.00 for the install and dyno tune $300-$400.00 Between $900 and $1,200 for everything.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:20 PM
smythge
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99 GT vert
IMHO I would only use meth injection as a cooling function. If you use it as an octane booster you are asking for trouble if your nozzle plugs up or you run out of meth your motor is shot.
Unless you have a way to pull timing in the event of failure.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:25 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

Yea if you can do that you might be fine but I would rather spray a small shot of nitrous than use meth injection to get more power

Quick Reply: Methanol Injection...