4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 10:49 AM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Go easy at first and make sure the stock rears can keep up with the larger fronts--if the front to rear "stopping power" balance is way off (I don't know that it will be) you could find the back wanting to spin around and become the "front" in a hard stop or when stopping on a slick road surface...
Actually, just the oppisite would happen. If the fronts are significantly better than the rears, the fronts will lock first. That's a good thing. That keeps the back end from becoming the front end. That's why many cars come from the factory with ABS on the rear only, with fronts as an option.

But, you're absolutly right about balance. The brakes are a system, not individual parts. The parts have to work together. If you make a significant change in the front, you need to do the same for the rear. I'm not sure the Bullet brakes are a significant enough change to be really noticable on the street.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:06 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by .boB
Actually, just the oppisite would happen. If the fronts are significantly better than the rears, the fronts will lock first. That's a good thing. That keeps the back end from becoming the front end. That's why many cars come from the factory with ABS on the rear only, with fronts as an option.

But, you're absolutly right about balance. The brakes are a system, not individual parts. The parts have to work together. If you make a significant change in the front, you need to do the same for the rear. I'm not sure the Bullet brakes are a significant enough change to be really noticable on the street.
In a hard, skidding, stop the wheels with the greatest stopping power will end up at the rear of the direction of travel--inertia will carry the vehicle's mass forward, and the axle having the most stopping power will behave as a dragging anchor...
Old 06-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Warrior1876
2nd Gear Member

What would be better upgrading to cobra brakes or getting some slotted rotors with hawk pads.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:05 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Just get good pads, Hawk HPS is what I run and do AX, and you will be just fine on OEM rotors/pads

If you were to start hitting the oval and REALLY heating the brakes up and/or going on lots of repetitive hard stops, you would then want upgraded fluid and maybe ceramic pads.

Jazzer
Old 06-25-2010, 12:24 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

I have heard a lot of people regret using the stock GT/v6 upgrades such as slotted rotors with some performance pads. But i haven't really ever heard of a complaint of people going to cobra spec brakes.. Just saying..

i have the bullitt front brakes and mach rears and i LOVE the way to car brakes, but mostly, i love the way that the sponginess of the stock setup went away after changing out the brakes. Car stops MUCH harder than my buddies car with i guess stock pads and slotted rotors.. But if he got better pads, i am sure his car would stop almost as good as stock cobras...

Stock with a nice pad is probably all you need. But with 550hp, you can NEVER have enough braking power IMO
Old 06-25-2010, 11:39 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Warrior1876
What would be better upgrading to cobra brakes or getting some slotted rotors with hawk pads.

This is what I did a while back when I needed pads replaced, in lieu of a "full on" upgrade that I didn't have the money for at the time. My car is only street driven, so other than the increased stopping power of new pads vs. scraping metal to metal on the inboard side of the old pads I can't say I noticed much difference. It is my understanding, though, that upgrading to braided lines and flushing out the old fluid (and maybe switch up to DOT-4 or 5) will give you a much more confident, less spongy pedal feel.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:11 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

540 to the tire here with Powerslot rotors and hawk pads, stops on a dime
Old 06-26-2010, 07:24 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by sonicx
Your pushing over 550rwhp (nice) And your asking if you should have cobra brakes? YEAH! Heck, putting those brakes on any car (stock or fully modified) is gonna help you increase your stopping power. Should shorten up the number of feet it takes to stop. Plus it looks better. I mean your already gonna have to spent money on new pads & rotor 2:1 so why not upgrade to something better for a only a bit more money plus it looks good.

Calipers with brackets and pads ($249): http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr..._id=689cPath=6

The capilers that say "cobra" are gonna cost: $279

Front rotors ($115): http://www.speedconcepts.net/product...roducts_id=787

Stainless brake lines for cobra brakes ($150): http://www.lethalperformance.com/03-...-lines-p-14968

Rear GT-to-Cobra conversion ($175): http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr..._id=477cPath=6

Hardware set needed for install if you choose the calipers that say "Cobra" on them ($17): http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr..._id=509cPath=6

Please note: Hardware set not needed for Bullitt or Mach 1 calipers.
You'll be okay just keeping your GT rear capilers, just by the rear conversion kit.
You stole that list right from my sticky didnt you?! lol
Old 06-26-2010, 04:37 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
540 to the tire here with Powerslot rotors and hawk pads, stops on a dime
That is insane for me to understand lol. my stock dual pistons sucked. and you have single piston calipers up front.. I don't understand haha.

I went for the upgrade to cobra specs bc i did it for $370 ALL AROUND w/ new pads... + it only costs a little bit more money to upgrade than to buy stock/aftermarket rotors and pads.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:49 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
That is insane for me to understand lol. my stock dual pistons sucked. and you have single piston calipers up front.. I don't understand haha.

I went for the upgrade to cobra specs bc i did it for $370 ALL AROUND w/ new pads... + it only costs a little bit more money to upgrade than to buy stock/aftermarket rotors and pads.
It's because engine output has nothing (almost¹) to do with braking, which is purely a factor of how much the vehicle weighs, how quickly you wish to stop it from what speed(s), and the number of times in succession you wish to perform that feat.

I.E. it takes no more braking power to stop a 550HP new-edge GT from 140MPH, that it would to stop a dead stock GT from 140MPH. In fact it could take less as the fellow with the 550HP may have also significantly lightened his car...

---------------------------------------------
¹ -The ONLY place HP enters the equation is that it could allow you to perform an increased number of repetitive stops, from perhaps higher speeds, in a given period of time--however if the driver chose not to do that the engine output becomes irrelevant.

Quick Reply: Brakes