4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Plans for my car. Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:53 PM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Default Plans for my car. Any advice?

Performance:
4.10 Gears w/ SCT Tuner-$545
MGW Short Throw Shifter-$179
K&N CAI-$245 or JTL RAI-$185
Pypes LTs-$380

Already Have:
Ford Racing fuel rails
30lb red top injectors
Lowered 1.5"
Flowmaster 40s, stock headers, stock h pipe.

For Show:
Deep Dish Bullitts-$300
Nitto DR-$300

Suggestions?:
Performance Clutch (My TOB is going out, Figure I might as well resurface the flywheel and change the clutch when the tranny is dropped)-
Throttle body- Size and brand?
Plenum-
Also and suggestions for show mods?

Last edited by MustangLouver; 06-24-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:02 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

-get a MGW shortshifter
-don't buy the cai
-get flowmaster 44s
-I would not get the udps, I'd lower the car instead
-as for t/b and plenum, i would buy whatever is cheapest, a 70mm or 75mm t/b.... if you want it to be pretty though, accufab is what ya want
Old 06-23-2010, 10:10 PM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
-get a MGW shortshifter
-don't buy the cai
-get flowmaster 44s
-I would not get the udps, I'd lower the car instead
-as for t/b and plenum, i would buy whatever is cheapest, a 70mm or 75mm t/b.... if you want it to be pretty though, accufab is what ya want
1. Ok, no CAI?
2. Have flowmaster 44s already on the car, just get an x-pipe?
3. Car is lowered 1.5" and has caster and chamber kit already
4. I want something cheap..looks doesn't matter.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-23-2010, 11:26 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by MustangLouver
Performance:
4.10 Gears w/ SCT Tuner-$545
MGW Shifter-$190
JLT RAI-$185
Pypes Offroad X-Pipe W/ MILs-$245
MM HD LCA's-$260

Already Have:
Ford Racing fuel rails
30lb red top injectors
Lowered 1.5"
Flowmaster 40s, stock headers, stock h pipe.

For Show:
Deep Dish Bullitts-$300
Nitto DR-$300

Suggestions?:
Performance Clutch (My TOB is going out, Figure I might as well resurface the flywheel and change the clutch when the tranny is dropped)-
Throttle body- Size and brand?
Plenum-
Also and suggestions for show mods?
The above list is now fixed. But as for your suggestions, for the clutch id go centerforce, for the tb/plenum i'd look into dragon performance, and for show i'd get a shorty antenna, mach 1 grill delete, black bumper letter inserts for the rear bumper, mach 1 chin spoiler, black honeycomb piece maybe(I like it...other member opinions?), billet fuel door, better exhaust tips, ford racing diff cover when you do the gears. Interior show mods you could do are shift ****, bullitt/automatic mach 1 gauge cluster, and if you like them(which i hate them...), billet accessories on the interior. Oh, and if you dont have HID's, get those with smoked headlights and get your tailights professionally tinted and put LED tail lights in too. Those enough suggestions for ya? lol

Last edited by teej281; 06-23-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:40 AM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
The above list is now fixed. But as for your suggestions, for the clutch id go centerforce, for the tb/plenum i'd look into dragon performance, and for show i'd get a shorty antenna, mach 1 grill delete, black bumper letter inserts for the rear bumper, mach 1 chin spoiler, black honeycomb piece maybe(I like it...other member opinions?), billet fuel door, better exhaust tips, ford racing diff cover when you do the gears. Interior show mods you could do are shift ****, bullitt/automatic mach 1 gauge cluster, and if you like them(which i hate them...), billet accessories on the interior. Oh, and if you dont have HID's, get those with smoked headlights and get your tailights professionally tinted and put LED tail lights in too. Those enough suggestions for ya? lol
For my show mods I have:
8" shorty antenna
Mach 1 chin
Mach 1 grill delete
and Black inserts for the rear.

The diff cover I hadn't thought about, I thought about getting the honeycomb piece for the rear and painting the bottom of the Bumper black, below the MUSTANG letters, below the little holes.

I like the smoked heads, tinted tails, I was going to go with a steeda short throw shifter, but I'm not sure. I have a 03/04 style cobra shift **** but it is made for a 5 speed instead of a 6, so the gear pattern on the handle shows 5 gears. I kinda want a black 8 ball style shifter.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll get together a better list when I have time tonight, that's a ton of suggestions LOL.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:56 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

How about keeping the car looking stock, throw in an MGW short throw, 4.10s w/ a tuner, some H&R SS lowering springs and longtube headers/offroad midpipe. Then I think that car would look like sex.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:11 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
How about keeping the car looking stock, throw in an MGW short throw, 4.10s w/ a tuner, some H&R SS lowering springs and longtube headers/offroad midpipe. Then I think that car would look like sex.
Exactly what i was gonna suggest! The cai and udps arent worth it if you ask me... They have kits for lts and o/r midpipe combos for around 400-600 i believe so with the money you dont use on the cai and the udps you could get the exhaust.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:40 PM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98redstang
Exactly what i was gonna suggest! The cai and udps arent worth it if you ask me... They have kits for lts and o/r midpipe combos for around 400-600 i believe so with the money you dont use on the cai and the udps you could get the exhaust.
Well, the car has already been lowered 1.5". I like the way it sits right now. So..gears, tune, lts, and midpipe, with a mgw shifter...

Since I do have a gt, I was thinking with my v6 I went for all looks...for my gt, I want to go mostly performance...eventually leading up to a rebuild+turbo and hitting around 600rwhp.

SO, ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR LTS AND MIDPIPE? BRAND? LINKS?
Old 06-24-2010, 02:54 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

well if you are going turbo you are looking at a completely different animal. If you are looking for 600rwhp, you are going to need to buy a forged shortblock, probably custom grind turbo cams, TFS heads, many fuel & management mods as well as tuning and suspension. If you are going turbo and want top of the line, check out Hellions Turbo kit for our cars. One of the members here just installed it this winter and is pushing massive horsepower and torque with a stock motor.

However, I have heard decent things about MAC longtubes if you are looking for them on the cheap. You can also find them on craigslist used. That is what I'm looking for as my next mod by the way.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:54 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

dude 245 for an O/R midpipe?? i bought a new BBK O/R h-pipe for 50 bucks on ebay. shop around and don't get suckered

edit: you can make your own MIL eliminators, look up member cliffyk and check out his website. its a pretty simple how-to. and for a cheap TB/Plenum, go professional products

Last edited by trailor; 06-24-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Plans for my car. Any advice?