4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Need a Custom Supercharger Setup...

Old 06-24-2010, 11:40 AM
knightrider09

Default Need a Custom Supercharger Setup...

Ive been on this forum for about 2 months or so and ive gotten a lot of good information and im almost to the point of heading home from deployment to start the mods on this car. I have an 01mustang gt with quite a few mods already done and now im looking at forced induction. I have an n/ic vortech Strim supercharger. Now i got this kit off ebay and it came with the supercharger blower itself, i think an anderson powerpipe and a upper and lower intake from a bullitt. This kit also includes a Triple Pillar Gauge pod and 3 gauges and a pre-tapped oil pan. I plan on selling the upper and lower intake from the bullitt because i still want to maintain the look of the shaker hood. This kit did not come with a radiator pipe, Vortech Discharge Assembly or a Vortech Air Intake Assembly. all this cost me about $480.00. I have a couple of questions though.

Is i possible to still keep the shaker hood functional with custom piping to the supercharger and how would the MAF be relocated?

I have gotten quoted for $1997.08 for the install of the supercharger kit, Install of Triple Pillar Pod/w gauges and Wide-band, install of the 255lph Fuel Pump, Custom tune and Dyno-Tune..is this a good price?..

I havent purchased gears yet but will it make a big difference on Hp?

And can i install the 42lb.Fuel injectors and hf fuel rail without a tune to drive it to the shop??..

I have the following mods already installed:

BBK Under-drive Pulleys
ACCUFAB 75mm Throttle Body
SLP Cold air intake
BBK Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers
Delta Flowmaster 40 series Mufflers
H-pipe Setup
3 1/2 SLP Loudmouth Tips
Typhoon High Performance Intake Manifold
Autolite Sparkplugs .50 gapping
CDC Shaker Hood System

I dont have a whole lot of money to spend on this project my budget for the supercharger install plus all the parts and a tune is around 4k any advice as far as hp gains or things that can wait to be installed would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:59 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I'm guessing your ability to run the the hood scoop back in will depend on whether you run a blow thru or draw thru setup.

Dyno tunes plus the software in my area usually run about $550-600... so if you're ok with paying $1,400 for the rest of the install... I would die paying that, but maybe you're ok with it???

You can't install the injectors with out modify the tune to accommodate it... When I installed my supercharger, I upgraded the injectors and the MAF so I had my tuner send a base tune so I could get the car there with out towing it.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:03 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Also, I'd like to add onto moosedhankerchiefs response....gears don't make a difference in horsepower. Also, you may want to switch over to intercooled. Or else with all of the heat, the supercharger will become relatively worthless. Even more so that you are in Louisiana and I imagine it is hotter than hell down there.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by knightrider09
Ive been on this forum for about 2 months or so and ive gotten a lot of good information and im almost to the point of heading home from deployment to start the mods on this car. I have an 01mustang gt with quite a few mods already done and now im looking at forced induction. I have an n/ic vortech Strim supercharger. Now i got this kit off ebay and it came with the supercharger blower itself, i think an anderson powerpipe and a upper and lower intake from a bullitt. This kit also includes a Triple Pillar Gauge pod and 3 gauges and a pre-tapped oil pan. I plan on selling the upper and lower intake from the bullitt because i still want to maintain the look of the shaker hood. This kit did not come with a radiator pipe, Vortech Discharge Assembly or a Vortech Air Intake Assembly. all this cost me about $480.00. I have a couple of questions though.

Is i possible to still keep the shaker hood functional with custom piping to the supercharger and how would the MAF be relocated?

I have gotten quoted for $1997.08 for the install of the supercharger kit, Install of Triple Pillar Pod/w gauges and Wide-band, install of the 255lph Fuel Pump, Custom tune and Dyno-Tune..is this a good price?..

I havent purchased gears yet but will it make a big difference on Hp?

And can i install the 42lb.Fuel injectors and hf fuel rail without a tune to drive it to the shop??..

I have the following mods already installed:

BBK Under-drive Pulleys
ACCUFAB 75mm Throttle Body
SLP Cold air intake
BBK Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers
Delta Flowmaster 40 series Mufflers
H-pipe Setup
3 1/2 SLP Loudmouth Tips
Typhoon High Performance Intake Manifold
Autolite Sparkplugs .54 gapping
CDC Shaker Hood System

I dont have a whole lot of money to spend on this project my budget for the supercharger install plus all the parts and a tune is around 4k any advice as far as hp gains or things that can wait to be installed would be greatly appreciated.

Hey man let me know how it goes. BTW I'm from Jonesville but currently in Afghnastain. Ivpreety much got the same issue, kinda. I'm piecing together my S/C (75% COMPLETE) but the issue that I'm having is that the nearest dyno shop is like a hundred miles away. There is a speed shop around FT Leonardwood that's gonna put the S/C in but he does not have a dyno machine. Don't mean to jack your thread but what would I have to do, to be able to drive the car to the shop. I'm gonna baby her the whole way but just wanted to know my options. Hey man I'll be coming home in Sept and cant wait!! Sorry again for the thread jack to...
Old 06-24-2010, 02:06 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

to add to everyone elses points you need to get stock pulleys as well. UD pulleys and s/c's dont mix.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:24 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

what kind of tuner are you planning on getting? some will allow you to adjust for the injectors without having to get it dyno tuned.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:11 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by trailor
what kind of tuner are you planning on getting? some will allow you to adjust for the injectors without having to get it dyno tuned.
That's a good point, if you're getting a hand held you should be able to change that yourself... but if you're getting a custom chip made.. not so much.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:47 PM
mustang51js
3rd Gear Member

do you have any mechanical skills, did you install any of that stuff on the list, if you can install pulleys on your car then you can install a supercharger, unless you dont have the time to do it.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:08 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

I paid $500 for a tune once my car was S/Ced. So your basically looking about about $1500 for a full install... which Is a little high if you are tight on money. However, doing it yourself is not something that is necessarily the "easiest" task. It will take some time, but it is doable.

I am not familiar with the shaker hood, So I dont know if you can still use it. How does it connect to the stock intake you have now? Do you have any pictures? That would help in figuring out if you still can use it. I would think that you will not be able to use it though... just my .02

Are you planning on installing a intercooler as well? I would highly suggest that.

As far as where to put hte MAF, what are you goals? It is best to move the MAF to after the blower, called a "blow through" system. This will make tuning easiest, and will enable you to achieve higher hp numbers (if you ever decide to really crank up the boost). However, you can do a draw though, (which the MAF before the blower) but I do not recomend it. I started off trying to get a drawthrough to work, but it ended up being more of a pain, so I gave in and switched to a blow through.

As far as HP gains, its safe to say you should be able to get at least 380 outta it. (possibly more depending on how you set up everything). Just a thing to consider, if you dont run a intercooler, (A lot of people run non-IC), your blower will be pretty useless about 10 min after the car has been on. They will get heat soaked and your IAT's will go through the roof, and you will end up making about the same power as you ddi before you installed the blower.

*edit*

gears dont make HP. all they do is get you into your RPMS faster, and RPMS make HP, so thats how they "make more power" although they dont physically change your HP numbers.

*second edit*

you will not be able to drive your car if you install those 42lb injectors w/ out a tune

oh yeah, and you cant use those UDP's with a Supercharger, so you will need to find a set of stock pulleys and put those back on.

Last edited by 0949er; 06-24-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

to answer your question about the shaker yes you can still use it there is a kit for it bc i have a shaker intalled on my gt and was wondering could i use that instead of an i/c to help keep the air charge cooler the kit is about $129 http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com...ct_detail&p=52

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need a Custom Supercharger Setup...