4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Cutting stock antenna

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:59 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

The link I posted was not an anti-semetic joke by the way....just wanted to throw that one out there.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:55 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

The best way would be to take some floss like Mythbusters did when breaking out of jail. Once you have done that, go to a reputable welder and have him attach the ball making sure he gets the required penetration of the weld to secure the "ball".

Goodluck in your endeavour!

(small hack saw/dremel and superglue....)
Old 06-28-2010, 11:44 AM
catch_15
2nd Gear Member

You don't need glue, or a weld, or jb weld....just grind the tip down like the old tip was and smack the ball back on. I've done it on 4 different cars and never had a problem.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Cusp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Explosive
hows reception with the cut antenna ?
Originally Posted by Explosive
hows reception with the cut antenna ?
Reduced.

A proper antenna is not some arbitrary length of wire. It is a specific length for the operating frequency it is designed for. It must be a resonate length and match the impedance of the feed line and the input impedance of the receiver. At 98 Mhz (mid point of the FM broadcast band), a 1/4 wave antenna is 28.5 inches long and is resonate which allows the conversion of electromagnetic waves into electrical currents by the antenna. The 1/4 wave vertical antenna is about 75% efficient.

If you want to be shorter, the resonance can be mostly restored by using a coil. This is what those "rubber duck" short antennas attempt to do. Under the rubber, there is a lot of coil. But they are no match for the 1/4 wave in terms of performance.

For those who must cut, a 1/8 wave will be 14.3 inches. But doing so will result in only about 26% of the available electromagnetic energy being converted into electrical currents which the receiver needs. A 50% reduction from the stock antenna.

If you live in a metro area where the signals are strong you will not notice. If you live in fringe areas or out on the interstate, you most definitely will.

The best way to cut one is with a cut off wheel. (a very narrow grinding wheel)
Old 06-28-2010, 12:45 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Hacksaw, vice, dremel tool, and JB Weld...........
Old 06-28-2010, 01:49 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cusp
Reduced.

A proper antenna is not some arbitrary length of wire. It is a specific length for the operating frequency it is designed for. It must be a resonate length and match the impedance of the feed line and the input impedance of the receiver. At 98 Mhz (mid point of the FM broadcast band), a 1/4 wave antenna is 28.5 inches long and is resonate which allows the conversion of electromagnetic waves into electrical currents by the antenna. The 1/4 wave vertical antenna is about 75% efficient.

If you want to be shorter, the resonance can be mostly restored by using a coil. This is what those "rubber duck" short antennas attempt to do. Under the rubber, there is a lot of coil. But they are no match for the 1/4 wave in terms of performance.

For those who must cut, a 1/8 wave will be 14.3 inches. But doing so will result in only about 26% of the available electromagnetic energy being converted into electrical currents which the receiver needs. A 50% reduction from the stock antenna.

If you live in a metro area where the signals are strong you will not notice. If you live in fringe areas or out on the interstate, you most definitely will.

The best way to cut one is with a cut off wheel. (a very narrow grinding wheel)

I'll second that...
Old 06-28-2010, 02:19 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I'll say to those of you who still listen to radio...invest in a pack of CD's at walmart and burn yourself some CD's to listen to. LOL better sound and you dont have to continue searching for radio stations every 20 miles or so that you travel.

I mean the investment in a shorty antenna and the CD's is well worth it to get rid of that stock whip of an antenna.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:10 PM
iMTB
2nd Gear Member

I cut mine and sanded down the tip and then painted it metallic black. It looks good and doesn't need the ball on the tip.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:13 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

I haven't had an antenna on my car in years. I do miss the radio some days though.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:23 PM
SnakeConvert98
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SaddleUp
Hacksaw, vice, dremel tool, and JB Weld...........

I was going to say, use some electrical heat shrink wrap like you would use on a spliced wire conection, but removal of the ball, cuting and replacing sounds more permenant, plus you would need to leave enough under the ball to use the wrap!!

Quick Reply: Cutting stock antenna