4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Love driving my mustang.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 03:51 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dimebag
The grind is an easy fix...stop the car drop it in 4th then right over to reverse...no more grind
thanks man, ill try that next time i put it in reverse. as i was coming home today, i put it in reverse to back up to my driveway. it made the griding sound, first it was quiet. so i wiggled it left and right in neutral and attempted to go back into reverse. same thing, but louder. i messed with it and forced it a little harder to the right and it finally went in.. once again my friends made fun of my for griding gears ahahha.

next time it happens, ill put it in 4th then try reverse again. thanks for that tip dimebag.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by budders
"... is that a real saleen? ..."
Yup, 100% authentic Saleen, just not authentic any longer

In case no one has mentioned it yet, there are no synchros to get into reverse, so griding while going directly into reverse is pretty common on manual transmissions. I have always put my car into 1st~2nd a couple times and then into reverse. In the same way that going in/out of 4th gear will do the same thing.

Jazzer
Old 07-01-2010, 06:01 PM
jt02gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat

In case no one has mentioned it yet, there are no synchros to get into reverse, so griding while going directly into reverse is pretty common on manual transmissions. I have always put my car into 1st~2nd a couple times and then into reverse. In the same way that going in/out of 4th gear will do the same thing.

Jazzer
I was thinking about something like this as well because every manual I have ever owned in the past has has some issue with reverse only one time or another. I don't think it's a Mustang exclusive problem as I have had issues with Mazda, Toyota and Honda on this same issue. I always did as Dimebag said just throw it in 4th and then reverse and would always slide in no problem. Man that last part sounds dirty.....
Old 07-01-2010, 09:30 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dimebag
The grind is an easy fix...stop the car drop it in 4th then right over to reverse...no more grind
yup. I go 1st and then str8 to reverse. Thats how it goes with mine. Or 5th as well. Any gear probably, I just use 1st though.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:42 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

Yup, 100% authentic Saleen, just not authentic any longer

Jazzer
gotcha, so i can blame it on the synchros from now on haha.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Ya.... that will go over REAL well when in a parking lot trying to look cool and you see this girl walking by and you are doing the "grind to find"

Jazzer... bringin' his pepes down
Old 07-02-2010, 08:08 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Ya.... that will go over REAL well when in a parking lot trying to look cool and you see this girl walking by and you are doing the "grind to find"

SHE IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FACKIN HAWT MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2010, 10:10 AM
budders
4th Gear Member

hahah idc, i already got a girlfriend :P if she dosnt like the noises my car makes then ill be like BIITCH I DONT LIKE THE NOISES YOU MAKE. hahahahaha
Old 07-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I actually was looking for a pic of my OWN g/f, as she is beautiful, but could not find one handy I have some pics on another hard-drive, but not quickly accessible.

Hey, I found one on my Photobucket page....

Second from right next to yours truley

Since I'm braggin'...

Jazzer-jackin' the thread into a galpal showdown

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 07-02-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:42 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Jazzer showin' off the lady friend...Very nice, I like!

BTW...you dont look like a cat...

Quick Reply: Love driving my mustang.