4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

upr k-member kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:40 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Default upr k-member kit

has anyone run this kit from late model restoration. for some reason i cant get the link to work but it is the k member,a-arms,and coil over kit with ebach springs for $700.

Looking to do the k member and coilovers and ran across this kit and also saw it installed on a mustang in this months issue on modded mustangs. Price seems very good just would like to know if it is a quality peace. Also how hard is it to replace the k member, can you support the engine and take out the k member be itself or do you have to take the motor with it?

Last edited by 96meangreengt; 06-30-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

[LMR website is down at the moment, so cannot check link]

The motor can be supported and does NOT have to be removed to replace the "K". I would HIGHLY recommend you replace the oil pan at the same time. This becomes VERY vulnerable once the OEM "K" has be replaced and will see why when you are done. The big thing about different aftermarket "K"s is weather it is designed for the launch-pad or the road course. The 1/4 mile ones tend to be lighter (QA1, for example) and a bit different geometry from that of a road course one (Griggs, MM for example) They are going to be stronger for the stress/strain of harder use and be heavier as well.

What are the plans for your ride?

Jazzer
Old 07-01-2010, 02:21 PM
yamanx
1st Gear Member

Any suggestions for oil pans?
Old 07-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

Another big difference is it also cuts quite a bit of weight off of the front end like 50-60lbs I believe.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:02 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
[LMR website is down at the moment, so cannot check link]

The motor can be supported and does NOT have to be removed to replace the "K". I would HIGHLY recommend you replace the oil pan at the same time. This becomes VERY vulnerable once the OEM "K" has be replaced and will see why when you are done. The big thing about different aftermarket "K"s is weather it is designed for the launch-pad or the road course. The 1/4 mile ones tend to be lighter (QA1, for example) and a bit different geometry from that of a road course one (Griggs, MM for example) They are going to be stronger for the stress/strain of harder use and be heavier as well.

What are the plans for your ride?

Jazzer
This kit says its for road racing, What oil pan would you recommend?

My plans are to have a awesome handleing car and somthing to have fun with at some local autoross events.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I run a Canton 8 quart (really about 7.5 quarts) steel pan with a re-enforced steel plate then welded onto the bottom for additional protection. It is a good thing too, as my pan has MAJOR scars all over it from hitting stuff on the roads.

If you are REALLY serious about a spectacular cornering ride, you need to read my suspension guide and PM me with questions. I am more than happy to help and will give you the upside/downside of different parts and have no agenda other than to help pepes reach their goals. There are also differing opinions, so keep your mind open to what others say as well. I am not the only guy out there who digs a corner and certainly NOT the most knowledgeable.

Jazzer