4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

used car- what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 11:11 PM
matt1990
1st Gear Member

Default used car- what to look for?

I just bought a 2001 GT Mustang with 99,000 miles. What would you guys recommend i replace or look for in the engine.

Also i head that because its an automatic the transmission is more likely to go rather sooner then later, does anybody know if there is any truth behind this?
Old 06-30-2010, 11:39 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

replace the spark plugs, transmission fluid and filter, oil and filter, differential fluid, intake filter (may just need to be cleaned if aftermarket), fuel filter, and drive belt if it doesn't look in the best of shape. you may also want to clean the IAC valve, as they tend to get clogged up.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:45 PM
sonicx
speed'n

+1 ^ ... outside of this, you really should have checked out the car more before your purchased it. Gotten or ask maintence reciepts n such so you kinda knew th history of the car. Now your next play is just is to drain everything and restart.

As for the auto tranny> REALLLY? Dude, it how you drive the car. If you drive like a moron with a stick and grind gears your gonna have issues. If you downshift from Drive to 1 or 2 constantly in an auto your gonna have issues. Theses tranny's can take a beating sure but under abuse they can go.... doesn't matter which tranny it is or the mileage. I've seen auto last into the 200K's while i've seen stupid kids wreck the their tranny's 20K in.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:47 PM
matt1990
1st Gear Member

okay thank you very much for that info^^

do you know anything about the transmissions failing early on the V8 automatics? (im not very knowledgeable about cars)
Old 06-30-2010, 11:49 PM
matt1990
1st Gear Member

forget the second part of my last post, thanks
Old 06-30-2010, 11:49 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by matt1990
okay thank you very much for that info^^

do you know anything about the transmissions failing early on the V8 automatics? (im not very knowledgeable about cars)
it depends on how much of a beating the car's had as well as how many miles are on the clock. By this i assume not much?

Like what are you plans with the car?
Old 07-01-2010, 12:02 AM
matt1990
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonicx
it depends on how much of a beating the car's had as well as how many miles are on the clock. By this i assume not much?

Like what are you plans with the car?
well the car looks to be in good shape, i've got a couple friends that have been mechanics for a year or two and they looked at it for 30 mins or so and said it looks good. And the guy that owned it claimed to just be driving it to work and back, theres no real "modified" parts, just stock parts from the dealer.

and i dont have much of a plan with the car, i just want to keep it well maintained, maybe try to get it a little faster (not to sure how as im not to interested in a super-charger) and upgrade the speakers
Old 07-01-2010, 12:20 AM
sonicx
speed'n

well the car looks to be in good shape, i've got a couple friends that have been mechanics for a year or two and they looked at it for 30 mins or so and said it looks good. And the guy that owned it claimed to just be driving it to work and back, theres no real "modified" parts, just stock parts from the dealer.

and i dont have much of a plan with the car, i just want to keep it well maintained, maybe try to get it a little faster (not to sure how as im not to interested in a super-charger) and upgrade the speakers
Then if thats the case then i think your in good hands. Not being able to see the car, they'd be able to speak a bit more clearly. As for speakers... Pioneer makes great stuff. Thats what im pumping currently: Love it.

As for perforance parts briefly briefly explained: (you can find more by using "search" for exact searches)

Gears (3.73 or 4.10) will give you better acceleration. Not HP
Xpipe or H pipe: Will increase your HP and low end torque. The o/r will give maybe 1-2 more than a catted pipe.
CAI: doen't reallyu do to much for the edge unlike the s197. Skip it... although it may give 1-3 more mpg.
Throttle Body: (70,75,80mm) You'd be okay with a 70 because your no interest in S/C. (save the moneys than getting abigger size). IF you were than 75mm would be a better choice.
Plenum: Works kinda hand in foot with the t/b. Worth the upgrade imo.
Tuner: Will allow you to get your fully reap the benifits of your mods.
Catback exhaust: won't increase hp but it will give you that "classic" growl. Use Youtube to find the sound your aiming for: SLP, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Borla...get the idea.
UDP: It'll help, but some ppl don't think the gains are worth the price tag. Must be removed if you go S/C.
Cams: Cant say to much ( don't have em) but DEF DEF ups your HP
Headers: Ups your HP.

Last edited by sonicx; 07-01-2010 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:34 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

upgrading the speakers will take more than you think, provided you have the stock MACH stereo system. you will need a new amp or amps for your speakers. and, if you take the route i'm going, you can keep the tweeter-like window mounted speakers where they are without worrying about replacement.

the problem with the MACH system is that the door speakers and two of the four rear speakers are run off the two amps in the trunk, which are on a weird low-mid pass filter, which means that hooking up almost any kind of aftermarket speakers to these connections will lead to crappy sound quality and possibly distortion, as almost all aftermarket door speakers, in this case 5x7's or 6x8's (whichever you choose, both will fit), are made for mid range output.

anyway, if you want to make your car faster, but not supercharged, i would recommend getting some 4.10 gears (that way you won't hafta swap out the diff fluid twice), a good tuner (one that will allow you to compensate for the gear change and that will allow you to change your shift points and shift firmness), an O/R X or H pipe, and probably a 70mm tb/plenum combo. now don't expect to be running 12's with this setup, but it should make you a good bit faster than stock. hope this helps
Old 07-01-2010, 12:42 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

sorry for the repeat sonic, you musta put it in while i was typing. anyway, i also forgot to mention to do a radiator flush and fill. my tank was almost completely brown from the old nasty fluid that was in there when i first bought the car, and it stunk bad!

Quick Reply: used car- what to look for?