4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Do it yourself powder coating kits?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 07:44 PM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

Default Do it yourself powder coating kits?

Anyone every tried or heard of anyone trying these. I see alot of kits on ebay using the provided gun and a stardard oven. Was considering buying one to do a bunch of parts on a few of my cars if they work well. I always enjoy doing stuff i normally dont do myself rather then sending it off for someone else to do, but im kind of sceptical of if they are worth buying. starter kits run like 150 bucks and powder is like 10 bucks for 1lb, so i think if it works in the long run it could be much cheaper and better looking then painting some parts.

I wasnt sure where to ask this, i thought detailing was a bit wrong for this topic.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:16 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I have one (from HF) and have used it a few times.

It actually works great, with the major downside being only dealing with SWMBO's odd views as to what the kitchen oven should be used for...
Old 07-05-2010, 08:21 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I do Powder Coating as a hobby(hope they don't ban me because I said that) and I started with a starter kit from Eastwood and it is a great kit to get started in
http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powder-coating.html
I'm not sure what the kits you are looking at on ebay are but there probably a copy of the Eastwood one.
I'm using a full size oven to cure my parts and it is fine for most jobs anything smaller than a household oven and you are going to be severely limited on what you can PC.
The other thing to consider is the parts have to be perfectly clean before they can be PC'd so if you don't have access to a Media Blaster you will find yourself buying one of those so you can do parts
Look through the Eastwwod site there is allot of good info
Old 07-05-2010, 09:16 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

+1000, prep is what it's all about--this is true of any coating system/process...
Old 07-05-2010, 09:40 PM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

well thats good to hear, i think ill grab one to mess around with. Staring out on the 83's parts then once i think i got the hang of it onto the 03. Thanks for the imput, for jobs bigger then a oven such as maybe a strut tower brace or something that size, what would work? i know they sell some heat light things, but they seem to be crazy expensive, would some serious space heaters work in a enclosed area? Because i think i could weld up a make shift "oven" big enough for pretty much anything i need done.

Last edited by redneck racer; 07-05-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:49 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

People make there own PC oven all the time. They usually use the heating elements from an old electric oven and sheet metal and insulation. I have a cure lamp and the only thing I don't like is it takes along time to cure parts because you have to keep moving it to the next section of the part to cure it
Check out the Eastwood Forum these guys know there stuff
http://forum.eastwood.com/forum.php
and another of my sources
http://www.caswellplating.com/index.html