4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

IRS/Suspension woes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 02:26 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I had lowering springs, strange 10 ways, and sfc's. And now i'm going to a fully built IRS with front and rear coilovers and solid bushings. So its gonna feel like a completely different animal...and it even would feel completely different if i was going from stock irs to built irs. lol but i'll let everyone know what i think. i hope its worth it.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:35 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

Should be a night and day difference. I can't wait till I get my IRS bushings kit in hopefully it will get rid of the body roll I have. Good luck with the swap
Old 07-08-2010, 03:05 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Yea, I want as little body roll as possible. lol i have a turn that I use to help gauge the improvement in my suspension and just a bunch of roads to gauge the improvement in ride quality too.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:01 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

good luck man, stay patient, all the hard work will pay off

if you need any help let me know, if I'm not working I'll try and come down and help ya

I'm surprised by what you said about CJ's, they are usually pretty good about that- oh well, their loss
Old 07-08-2010, 04:14 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

CJ's has been nothing but a pain in the **** every single time i bought something from them, minus the shorty antenna. My buddy bought bullitt pedals and they would not lend him a screw driver to take his old pedals off because lending him one single screw driver is imposing on their installation business and they wanted a sh!tload to put the pedals on themselves. I doubt i'll ever go there to spend a lot of money unless I have to for some reason.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:21 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

What's your plan for your car by doing this IRS swap? Any open tracking/autox or such? If you want to reduce some of the body roll, look into getting a better front and rear swaybar. That will compliment your other mods as well.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:23 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

The hope was to get it prepped for auto-x and just overall having fun in the twisties. I wanted to get the car ready to run in the Mustang Week auto-x but the car isnt going to be ready for it
Old 07-09-2010, 03:25 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

So...not going to mustang week cus the car wont be ready. Kinda ticked about that but that just gives me more money and time to spend on the car and getting it ready. Im gonna take that week off work still and get this thing put together. The suspension is going to be upgraded with MM revalved sport shocks and struts with 400# CO springs front and 600# rear CO springs and this thing better handle like a **** or i just wasted a lot of money. lol But all in all, it should ride better than stock in the front and same as stock in the rear and handle like nobody's business and still be streetable. Also might be adding dynamat under the rear seat to help with the noise from the solid bushings going into the IRS.

Really dont want to spend all this money but rather spend it on this than longtubes where I wouldnt really even notice a difference. lol

Last edited by teej281; 07-09-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Hold up there... mister!

400# up front is pretty freakin' heavy, but you are going 600# CO springs out back?!?!?!?!?!?!? Unless there is a radically differing spring rate needed for IRS, that looks AWEFUL heavy to me. I cannot imagine you will ride anywhere NEAR stock with the rates you propose.

When I had traditional CO's at all four corners, I was running 300# (f) and continue to run 200# out back (and this is with a TA installed!). My ride was VERY comparable to the OEM Saleen springs (not OEM Ford ones) and was happy with ride quality. However, it was not heavy enough for AX or open track use. I forget the math to figure the ratio of CO spring VS. OEM located spring, but IIRC, a 400# spring was open track stiffness and just don't see that as comfortable on the street. I don't imagine it would handle very well either if your roads are anywhere near what mine are. As mentioned, unless the CO spring rates radically differ from those of an SRA, I cannot imagine you will be happy with your stated goals.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

Jazzer
Old 07-09-2010, 06:33 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Stock IRS springs are 600lb front and back. I was thinking 375/575 to lighten up the ride but I thought that since the springs were lighter that the ride wouldn't be as bad as stock? But you should read up on the IRS a bit jazzer. That way you can be the master of all suspension types. Lol could you read up on that and let me know your consensus?

Quick Reply: IRS/Suspension woes...