4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

window tinting question

Old 07-13-2010, 01:08 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rainydayracing
I'm in Devon (still chester county). My family has a cabin along the Brandywine River, which is very close to Kennett, so I know the area well (I also am friends with the owners of the Half Moon in Kennett).

Have you ever been pulled over?
LOL...
Old 07-13-2010, 01:10 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

My cop buddy also said this:

truthfully, it's usually the really dark tinted cars that get stopped. I have my windows basically blacked out, but I have FOP tags on my car, so that's probably the only reason i haven't been stopped. If you do a slight tint I think you will be fine
Old 07-13-2010, 01:28 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

^when he said any tint is prob too much since 70% of light needs to pass....how can he justify FACTORY cars that have tint? That jibberish out of his mouth made no sense lol.

Simple..35% (or darkest legal limit by you) and no worries...or whatever you want and risk getting a ticket plus possibly having them make you remove the tint. SO now it's a ticket PLUS you are out the money spent on the tint.

Again, if you went b/w 20 and 35...you could prob get away with it. It's usually the people that push it that get attention drawn to them who get caught.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:32 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

If you are driving a Mustang with at least an exhaust, chances areeee, they aren't going to come after you for how dark your windows are. lol
Old 07-13-2010, 01:36 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

It comes down to how technical the cop wants to be. If you REALLY want to be ****, ANYTHING done to the exhaust is illegal. Meaning if it wasn't like it was off the factory floor, it's illegal. But we all know that stuff is not frowned upon or enforced very much if you see every other pickup with exhaust as well as mostly all muscle cars lol

If they went off that, they would run out of tickets to give out ahah
Old 07-13-2010, 01:39 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
It comes down to how technical the cop wants to be. If you REALLY want to be ****, ANYTHING done to the exhaust is illegal. Meaning if it wasn't like it was off the factory floor, it's illegal. But we all know that stuff is not frowned upon or enforced very much if you see every other pickup with exhaust as well as mostly all muscle cars lol

If they went off that, they would run out of tickets to give out ahah
Where the heck did you read/hear that?

I have never heard of such things...
Old 07-13-2010, 01:41 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
^when he said any tint is prob too much since 70% of light needs to pass....how can he justify FACTORY cars that have tint? That jibberish out of his mouth made no sense lol.

Simple..35% (or darkest legal limit by you) and no worries...or whatever you want and risk getting a ticket plus possibly having them make you remove the tint. SO now it's a ticket PLUS you are out the money spent on the tint.

Again, if you went b/w 20 and 35...you could prob get away with it. It's usually the people that push it that get attention drawn to them who get caught.
He's a nice guy, but was never the sharpest tool in the shed He was basically saying what you are saying. I think I'm going to go with 20% all around, and get a doctors note in case I get pulled over.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:51 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Devon, if I recall correctly it was out of the mouth of the guy who does inspections on my car...now there may be some specifications that I may be missing...like that's the case only in CA or something...I could be wrong too. I could have misunderstood.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:22 PM
SkyStang06
2nd Gear Member

i have a limo 5% all around, but i too would recommend a 20%, I've had my tint on for at least a year and haven't had any issues with cops. but if i had to, i wouldn't mind taking my tints and redoing it at 20% becuase the visibility is ridiculous and i always drive with my windows down at night.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:23 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Taken right from the mass.gov website about tint:

What are the specifications for aftermarket window tinting?
For most vehicles, aftermarket tinting that registers at least 35% on a tint meter on side windows immediately adjacent to the driver and front passenger seats, and side windows immediately to the rear of the operator and passenger, is acceptable. The rear window may be tinted to the 35% level, but the vehicle must be equipped with two outside rear view mirrors. The windshield may only be tinted down to the AS-1 line, which is usually located in the uppermost (6) inches of the windshield.

I tried looking but have not come up with anything about exhaust noise...

EDIT: found this about exhaust but don't know a date

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-16.htm

Last edited by smitty2919; 07-13-2010 at 02:27 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: window tinting question