4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Thought i'd seek help from the wizards on Mustang Forums (with video)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 02:02 PM
03 GTswag
1st Gear Member

do you have a relay in your set-up? some kits require them or you can get the result you are talking about. do a search on the web about relays for HID'S
Old 07-16-2010, 02:08 PM
03 GTswag
1st Gear Member

directly from their site:

Use the relay harness to connect HIDs to cars with very small gauge wiring that cannot supply the initial surge current required to light the bulbs reliably.

Recommended for all 55W HID installations but most American and European cars work at 35W/55W without the harness. The harness is definitely recommended for Quad's and other ATVs or when running multiple HID installations. This harness is a fused relay isolation harness capable of supplying 40A at 12vdc

The harness is an option and I bet you didnt purchase it and remember, not being funny and all but $50.00 for the kit? wow you get what you pay for.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Well, I swapped the bulbs, and the same light that was out, is still out. So, the bulbs don't make a difference.

It has to be the ballast.

What is unusual however, is that it seems like this problem is very random. Usually, if I have the car off for a little bit, then turn the lights on with the car still off, both lights go on.

It's only when I turn the car on, then turn the lights on, that the light on my side won't turn on.

Oh and about the relay --------------------- wouldn't NONE of the lights go on if I needed that???
Old 07-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

And plus... I switched the ballasts......... and when I did, the OTHER side went out. This means it is likely the ballast just being really unreliable.

My friend with an SRT-4 (uses 9007 bulbs as well) got this same kit from DDMtuning, and BOTH ballasts were defective when he got the kit.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:43 AM
drleomarvin

I actually just bought both headlights and fog lights from ddm and out of the 4 ballasts I got one was bad. It worked for maybe an hour or so then nothin. If you return it within 7 days they will send you a shipping label.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:29 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
Well, I swapped the bulbs, and the same light that was out, is still out. So, the bulbs don't make a difference.

It has to be the ballast.

What is unusual however, is that it seems like this problem is very random. Usually, if I have the car off for a little bit, then turn the lights on with the car still off, both lights go on.

It's only when I turn the car on, then turn the lights on, that the light on my side won't turn on.

Oh and about the relay --------------------- wouldn't NONE of the lights go on if I needed that???
see post #2. lol

hit up DDM and have them send you a new one. they're ballasts have been known to go out.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:42 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Man. A lot of bad things goin on here with DDM..

Send it back and demand new ones. Simple as that.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Alright, so here's the update

Whenever I turn on my lights without having the car running first..... both headlights go ON.

Whenever I turn on the car first, THEN turn on the headlights, NONE of the lights go on.
This is such BS and I don't even want to deal with it anymore.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:32 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Ideas?
Old 07-18-2010, 11:54 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

EE you are exhausting pal...lol Did you call DDM!!???

Quick Reply: Thought i'd seek help from the wizards on Mustang Forums (with video)