4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Thought i'd seek help from the wizards on Mustang Forums (with video)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default Thought i'd seek help from the wizards on Mustang Forums (with video)

Alright, please read carefully:

Bought 9007 HID kit from DDMTuning, 8000k 55W

Installed kit with the car off, passenger side bulb would go on for a split second, then turn off.

I turned the car on, same situation.

I turned the car off left for a little while, then when I came back, RANDOMLY, BOTH lights went on and stayed on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So today, I drove to work, fired up the HIDs, and they both went on fine.

8 hours later, I go to my car, turn it on, and the passenger side bulb flickers once, then stays off, AGAIN.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Determined to fix this problem, I call DDMTuning. They tell me to switch the ballasts and bulbs from side to side (put all the stuff on the left on the right and swap around everything.

So, whatever, I do it. I put all the main wiring over on the passenger side this time, and swap the bulbs AND the ballasts.

I turn on the lights and woohoo they work!!

Then, 5 minutes later... I turn on my car, and now the DRIVER'S side is out.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76vONkxFQpk
Keep in mind, it is PLUGGED in, when the light goes out. I left the connection in. It just flickers, then turns off immediately.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:15 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

put two and two together man. you probably got one bad ballast. isn't it kind of obvious after you switched them up? lol
Old 07-14-2010, 09:27 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Plug it all the way in!
Old 07-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
put two and two together man. you probably got one bad ballast. isn't it kind of obvious after you switched them up? lol
Yes, but I switched the bulbs too. And sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I was thinking maybe the bulbs aren't getting enough power to the other side or something?

Is maybe the connector that I plug into the ballast bad??

Originally Posted by 2k1gt
Plug it all the way in!
I did!! lol And I left it plugged in too!! Multiple times. I know I didn't plug it in so it snaps in that video... but even if I did plug it in fully, the light would just flicker and go out. I was just making connection, then taking it out once the light went out, making connection, then taking it out once the light went out

Last edited by Evenexchange; 07-14-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:27 PM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

Electrical stuff is so touchy man, just take your time and go back thru the whole install. Check all wires and such
Old 07-15-2010, 08:03 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Any other guesses? I'm going to call DDMTuning today and tell them what's going on.

Everyone thinks it's the ballast? Or the connector?

By the way for the record... car was on, AND car was in ignition last night and guess what!! BOTH lights worked.

Now, this morning, after the car sat in the garage all night, the driver's side bulb is OUT.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:06 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Its the ballast bro. Easy to determine there...
Old 07-15-2010, 02:01 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
Yes, but I switched the bulbs too. And sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I was thinking maybe the bulbs aren't getting enough power to the other side or something?

Is maybe the connector that I plug into the ballast bad??
now thats not a reasonable way to diagnose a problem is it? only change one variable at a time. its much more difficult to locate the problem when you are changing mulitple things at once.

just my .02
Old 07-15-2010, 11:54 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

^What he said. And my suggestion is that you return the kit in it's entirety, exchange for another new one. If I get brand new crap that doesn't work correctly and I'm confident that I've installed or attempted to operate correctly, it goes back. You've been screwing with this thing for days, dude; send it back.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:57 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

the connection is bad. either the wire to the clip, or the wires inside the ballice, one of those connecotrs has a bad connection. that would be why it works some times and why it doesnt. Plug it in and jiggle the wire coming off the ballice I bet you the bulb flickers or does something.

Quick Reply: Thought i'd seek help from the wizards on Mustang Forums (with video)