4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Carbon Fiber Hood/Trunk worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:18 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
maybe not with speed, but with traction in the rain i do. i spin like crazy on every stop if im low on gas.
+1. And it does reduce some weight not having that much gas because thats why when you run at the track you go with a 1/4 tank or less.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
maybe not with speed, but with traction in the rain i do. i spin like crazy on every stop if im low on gas.
I wonder if a cop would buy that....?

"It's not my fault, officer. I was heading to the gas station and the roads are all wet"
Old 07-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

im doing both hood and trunk some day, for both looks and weight. but its likly i will leave them unpainted, thats part of the money you spend when you buy a CF is to have the CF. If you ask me, if you buy CF to paint it then i hope your replacing all the parts you can with it(meaning shaving every last ounce to race it), because one or two parts in CF will not save enough weight over a stock, or a regular aftermarket part to make it worth the weight savings. Say the stock hood weights 50 the aftermarket fiberglass one weights 40 and the cf weight 35. 5 pounds is not worth double the price and the fact that youd paint it. Just my opinion. I think not painting it kinda makes up a chunk of the money that it costs to buy over other parts!
Old 07-19-2010, 12:25 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

I would do both just because my ocd would go nuts not having the back match the front haha, When I had my sixxer I bought a CF, I noticed a bit of a drop in weight, not significant though. If you tracked your car then buying a CF hood n trunk lid is just a piece of the puzzle for the same common goal, to lose weight. Just my two cents though.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:44 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
I wonder if a cop would buy that....?

"It's not my fault, officer. I was heading to the gas station and the roads are all wet"
LOL yeah he probably wouldn't care.

i mean on flat pavement i can usually get it to grip without any spinning, but if theres any type of incline i'll be spinning for the first couple feet or until i get a slow roll going.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:33 PM
grrr0331

^ damn dude quit being a cheap *** and buy some decent tires hahah
Old 07-19-2010, 02:40 PM
schmallz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
I would get the hood for looks no doubt. The trunk, who cares.

You're not going to feel a difference at all with your car... If you had your tank on say Empty and you drove it around, it would feel the same as if you just filled the tank up but had the carbon fiber hood and trunk. Do you really tell a difference with your car's speed from when the tank is empty to when it is full? Maybe it's just me, but i dont. And if i did, i wouldn't spend $500 plus for the extra speed that i'll be able to achieve in a quicker amount of time...

This isn't F1 supercar racing. And if you think it is, then go waste your money.
Why don't you take a Principles of Physics class and think about what you said.

Your car will accelerate faster, brake easier, require less force (its all inertia) if it is lighter, end of story.

I've relocated my battery to the Spare tire well, improved my weight distribution by a whopping 1%. I think it was worth it.

Last edited by schmallz; 07-19-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:41 PM
schmallz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bman2000
im doing both hood and trunk some day, for both looks and weight. but its likly i will leave them unpainted, thats part of the money you spend when you buy a CF is to have the CF. If you ask me, if you buy CF to paint it then i hope your replacing all the parts you can with it(meaning shaving every last ounce to race it), because one or two parts in CF will not save enough weight over a stock, or a regular aftermarket part to make it worth the weight savings. Say the stock hood weights 50 the aftermarket fiberglass one weights 40 and the cf weight 35. 5 pounds is not worth double the price and the fact that youd paint it. Just my opinion. I think not painting it kinda makes up a chunk of the money that it costs to buy over other parts!
Carbon fiber hood, I'd say 15lbs, might as well pull if off and weigh it agian, just to clarify.

Edit: The hood is so light that I have to slam it to shut it, Gravity isn't strong enough.

Last edited by schmallz; 07-19-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:58 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

lol its so light it practically floats....
Old 07-19-2010, 06:59 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grrr0331
^ damn dude quit being a cheap *** and buy some decent tires hahah
college budget homie. and im gold when its dry, just the rain...

i'd rather have fun in college then put money into a car thats barely ever driven when im there.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Hood/Trunk worth it?