4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

new block!

Old 07-19-2010, 06:24 PM
c_espitia
2nd Gear Member

Default new block!

ok i just got a block from a 01 gt and was wondering is it just the heads and forged internals that make it a 4v dohc? if not what do i need to do? also im wanting to stroke it aswell. I want to do this build up over time but one thing i do not want is another car like a cobra or something still be able to smoke me! should i switch it to 4v stroked or what? input please!?
Old 07-19-2010, 07:01 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

.... okay....

Internals consist primarily of the crank, rods, and pistons. Switching to forged internls has no bearing on weather the car is a 2v SOHC or 4v DOHC.

4V implies there are 4 valves per cylinder. they are also somtimes called 32v cars (4 valves*8 cylinders = 32 valves) and DOHC means "Dual over head camshaft" which is required to operate the 32 valves in a Cobra/mach1/Mark VIII/Marauder engine.

Also adding stroke to a Modular motor is costly and ineffective especially on a 2v. The Bore is fairly small on these motors which causes valve shrouding problmes and adding more stroke produces an even less effective bore to stroke ratio. Because of this you will see little... if any gain in horsepower gain at all, Because the heads are unable to feed the larger displacement.

My suggestion would be to build the rotating assembly to reliably support whatever horsepower your final goal is. Leave the engine a 2v with stock heads and stock cams and look at THIS LINK this gives you a walk through on how piece together a supercharger for your car for around $1500.

This will put you at around 400+ rwhp....
and for those of you who like to measure the length of your dick from your *****.... 470bhp

Last edited by defconfire; 07-19-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:40 PM
c_espitia
2nd Gear Member

yeah but i just dont want to slap a supercharger on there right now i would like to upgrade some things like heads and cams. so u think i should just keep it a 2v? what things should i do to the blockand u said stroking it isnt worth it hmm? if i stroked it wouldnt it make it a 5.0?? how much RWHP could i get from a 5.4 SOHC
Old 07-19-2010, 07:50 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

With some very nicely ported PI heads, aggressive, likely unstreetable cams, that are likely hurt your low end torque, you will most likely never get over 320rwhp with a 4.6, 5.0, or 5.4 SOHC.

Now with the new Trickflow heads you may be able to make a little bit more but I seriously doubt it will be that much more.

With just "slapping a supercharger on it" you get more HP, better fuel mileage, more street ability, better cold start ability with less headaches all around for less money.

Going Naturally Aspirated is not really an option for anyone looking to get any sort of substantial power out of these motors.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:15 PM
c_espitia
2nd Gear Member

ok cool so stay 4.6 sohc i just want to build up the block with some heads and cams and forged internals at least then supercharge or turbo it should i bore it out any? im looking for about 500RWHP or maybe 450 RWHP! i dont want to just slap a supercharger on it and be good cause i will still have that damn mod bug so if i do build the block up would i be getting better rating after i build up then slap super or turbo on it?
Old 07-19-2010, 08:33 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

The only reason I said 400rwhp before is because with just a supercharged on stock heads, stock cams, you can make more power than the bottom end can handle. It's less a measure of a power cap and more a matter of a reliability cap.

With a forged bottom end and a Paxton Novi2000 head unit or even a T-trim Vortech you could reliably push upper 400's possibly even kiss 500rwhp. And drive the car every day.

I really think you should skip heads and cams and go with basic bolt-on's (longtubes, throttle body, Catback) and then a forged bottom end topping it off with a blower is going to be your best bet.

It is going to be cheaper more reliable and more economical in virtually every aspect.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:54 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

LMAO thanks defcon for the quote of the month buddy!
Old 07-19-2010, 10:03 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

lol, you cant say it isn't the truth.

In my book, if you can't use it you don't have it and there is no sense in saying you do.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:06 PM
c_espitia
2nd Gear Member

i already have the bolt ons! what do you mean by forged bottom end can you explain im still trying to grasp everything lol.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:12 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

The basics of a Forged Bottom End consist of:

New Forged or Billet Crankshaft
New Forged Connection Rods (I-beam or H-beam your choice) .
New Forged Pistons. (Flat top or a Dish of your choice for the compression ratio you would like)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new block!