4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Looking for a Mach 460 6-disc Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Kdaddy
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation Looking for a Mach 460 6-disc Head Unit

Hey guys,

Would have posted this in the audio section, but this forums gets way more views and I'm more likely to find a reputable person. Anyways, I was having the typical CD ERROR with all my CDs getting stuck. I would just manually pull them out with other CDs, credit cards, etc this last time finally did it in. I tried to fix it by disassembling the head unit and pulling it out... Now it thinks there is 6 CDs in there lol. I also am terrified to go aftermarket. I was really happy with the way the 460 sounded and i heard it was a PITA to go aftermarket.

If any of you all have a good working Head Unit, I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands. Reply here or PM me.

Thanks,

-Chris-

Last edited by Kdaddy; 07-20-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:07 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

if you go aftermarket its not that much of a PITA, just need to know how to wire the tweeters (id be happy to help talk you through that). idk if youre going to find someone willing to just "give" their stock head unit away, people tend to keep them in case they go to sell the car, they would throw the stock back in since its pretty easy to do...if you want a factory replacement you will most likely have to pay for it, may as well go aftermarket
Old 07-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Kdaddy
2nd Gear Member

Oh I worded that wrong, didn't I? I'm totally willing to pay for a good used unit. Ford will charge me $350 for a new unit. Just wanted to try my luck here, before I commit to it. Who knows I might go aftermarket, I'm just scared it will sound terrible using all my stock speakers, amps, and subs.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:06 AM
darkshadow03gt
2nd Gear Member

Kdaddy I'm in the same boat as you. Damn cd player! I've been looking for six months, and no one wants to give them up. I hate listening to the radio, I might just go out and get a ipod and hook it to the stereo. Might be easier than trying to find a replacement.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:22 AM
03BottleFedGT
3rd Gear Member

i have my factory one took it out 2 years ago worked great just needed an ipod hook up, pm me with offers
Old 07-22-2010, 12:13 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

I will have a MACH1000 head unit ready to sell w/ me at the American Muscle car show...
Old 07-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

For the $350 that Ford wants for a new Mach 460 head unit, you're pretty close to having an in dash dvd/nav unit. Aftermarket head units aren't difficult at all to hook up. Best thing to do if you don't feel like figuring out the wires for yourself is to get the wiring harness adaptors (need two different ones for the Mach 460), it'll cost an extra $30 or so (Best Buy and any decent car audio shop should have them) and it will make the installation a plug n' play deal. I still have my Mach head unit, but it jams occasionally (I used to keep a poker made out of a wire coat hanger in the door pocket that I would use to make it eject the cd's) and I'm saving it for in the event that I sell my car.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:14 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

i have an absolutely perfect mach 460 head unit, all cd drives work fine, was in the car when i owned it about a month before i pulled it out in favor of an in dash...u may PM me with offers as well, never thought of sellin it but hell, why not, could be worth it
Old 07-22-2010, 07:17 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kdaddy
Oh I worded that wrong, didn't I? I'm totally willing to pay for a good used unit. Ford will charge me $350 for a new unit. Just wanted to try my luck here, before I commit to it. Who knows I might go aftermarket, I'm just scared it will sound terrible using all my stock speakers, amps, and subs.
it wont sound terrible but you wouldnt be able to push em, thats for sure...
Old 07-23-2010, 11:40 AM
travbedaman
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DarkShadow04
it wont sound terrible but you wouldnt be able to push em, thats for sure...
Sure you will. I have the mach 460 system in my GT and about a year ago the 6-cd swallowed my cd's and wouldn't spit them out. So I replaced it with a Pioneer FH-P8000BT and it sounds great. the music is much more accurate and has just as much low end compared to the stock reciever. With the extra wire harness you don't need to splice anything, took me maybe 2 hours to install (and that is only because I ran the wire for the bluetooth mic which took extra time).

But... what did suck is that the face of the reciever is a deep blue which clashed with all the crappy dull interitor dash lights. so I replaced all my bulbs to blue which gave the interior a more modern look.

I might actually sell my unit and ugrade to the newer touch screen they have, way more features, good reviews and you can change to colors to many different settings! Hooray!

Quick Reply: Looking for a Mach 460 6-disc Head Unit