4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Hot Feet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 01:21 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Question Hot Feet?

Easy as the title says...I have hot feet after driving my mustang for more than 20-30 mins. I am obviously getting some radiant heat transfer from the exhaust and drive-train, but I am curious if other experience this as well. If not, maybe I have some heat shields missing underneath. If that is the case, can I use any sort of stick on adhesive heat shield? Any thoughts? I do not want to deal with this on my day long drive out to the AM car show...
Old 07-21-2010, 01:54 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I'm in the same boat as you Devon. I notice it more on hotter days. I am generally not effected by heat in my legs/feet, but in my upper body and arms I hate the feeling of heat.

I have been thinking in terms of "sound deadener" like Second Skin primarily to get rid of my drone (o/r x and magnapacks0. I talked to Anthony, the owner, and he said to use Damplifier then Luxury Liner Pro.

Qutoed email to me from him:

Hello Dean!

Thanks for your interest in Second Skin!
Since weight is an concern, I would go with a solid layer of Damplifier through out the entire car, with a layer of Luxury Liner Pro opn top of that in all the important areas.
Front half of the floor. Rear Whell wells and quarter panels too..

That will kill the exhasut drone, and will address the heat as well.

Feel free to call me with any questions:

I will be happy to set aside some time to discuss your project further.

Anthony & Ken
www.secondskinaudio.com
service@secondskinaudio.com
c.623.533-8193
f. 602.272-3447

This was telling him about the drone and by doing so would also help in keeping the heat out....that being said to cover just the floor and maybe halfway up the firewall (incudes under the back seat) would run around $300 total for both products...You could look into just the Damplifer product or something similar just under your seat...
Old 07-21-2010, 01:59 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

I have a bunch of dynamat from when i used to install at best buy, I was wonderin if that might not help some. If I stuck it to the bottom obviously so the foil side was reflecting the heat away from the inside of the car.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:09 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

IDK about Hot Feet but I get Cold Ears....
Old 07-21-2010, 03:27 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

How would you put the Dynamat so the foil is facing down? When you apply it, you would be seeing the foild face up just by how it should be installed and the "sticky side" is stuck to the floor under the carpet....Unless you are talking about puting the mat UNDER the car and not just under the carpet.

This kind of stuff sucks because there is no good way to quantify "drone/heat reduction" if you have not been in a car before and after the install of this stuff. I mean after $300 I could still be unsatisfied with my drone reduction in which case I'd be pissed. If you have it laying around I would leave the backing on it and slip it under your carpet on the driver side to see if you notice a diff. It won't slide around if it's squished under the carpet, that way you can take it out and put it someplace else if it doesn't work.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:46 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
How would you put the Dynamat so the foil is facing down? When you apply it, you would be seeing the foild face up just by how it should be installed and the "sticky side" is stuck to the floor under the carpet....Unless you are talking about puting the mat UNDER the car and not just under the carpet.

This kind of stuff sucks because there is no good way to quantify "drone/heat reduction" if you have not been in a car before and after the install of this stuff. I mean after $300 I could still be unsatisfied with my drone reduction in which case I'd be pissed. If you have it laying around I would leave the backing on it and slip it under your carpet on the driver side to see if you notice a diff. It won't slide around if it's squished under the carpet, that way you can take it out and put it someplace else if it doesn't work.
Lol, yes I actually did mean putting it on the underside of the car, sticking it right to the floorpan. They make a product called thermotec i think, it's similar in application.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:01 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

This is actually one of the reasons I don't enjoy driving my car much anymore. If it's raining out (so I have to keep the windows up) I'm just dying inside this oven of a car..... even with the windows down on a cool night the car gets pretty toasty inside.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:26 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

No srsly.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:32 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

LMAO^^^ I'm not a sandals type o' guy....
Old 07-21-2010, 04:36 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

driving a clutch car with flip flops sounds pretty retarded to me. i'd go barefoot before i let a loose sandal get caught on the floor mat.

devon: i hear you man. my foot well area gets pretty toasty after a bit of driving. my friend likes to call it part of the experience. lol

Quick Reply: Hot Feet?