4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Procharger...Which Cams?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:19 AM
jr50rider
1st Gear Member

Default Procharger...Which Cams?

i recently had my car tuned & dyno'd, 325hp to the wheels. Car is a 98 gt with a procharger P1SC 9lbs., pi intake, bbk throttle body. that is it for motor mods. I want to take it to the next level, which my tuner told me i need heads, cams, new MAF, injectors, etc.

The plan is to swap to PI heads. but i thought if i am at this point, i should get the correct cam. what cam should i go with or atleast manufacturer to contact?

Anyone have PI heads for sale?
Old 07-22-2010, 10:35 AM
budders
4th Gear Member

get it forged then up the boost. it kinda seems like it should be making more than 320 with 9lbs though?!
Old 07-22-2010, 10:47 AM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Its a NPI motor.
Stock they only put down like 190rwhp.

I'd say that's on par for 9lbs.

As for the Cams. There are lots of different choices out there you could call someone like Jim Cushman, from CMS, and have him grind you a custom set for your application.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:52 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

cams with a pi swap on a blower car...sounds like BOOOOOOOOOM to me. I'd go no higher than say a stage one cam just because the added power youre gonna get from a PI swap from the bump in compression and flow and the intake, youre going to be over 400rwhp and with cams thats gonna take that number even higher. I dont think its very safe and cams are a huge undertaking but if you wanna go for it, go with Cushman Motorsports or Modular Head Shop.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:07 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

hey I got the cams out of my PI GT motor for sale for real cheap if you want them.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:28 PM
jr50rider
1st Gear Member

Right now i am looking at a max of upwards of 400 rwhp at this point, i really would rather not get into the bottom end right now. the car is a weekend cruiser with 50k on the clock, i am just looking to get a little more out of it.

so it sounds like a straight pi heads / cams swap would be the safe way to go? it would be alot cheaper for the parts, i assume.

another few questions for you guys, what are you using for blow-thru MAf's / injectors / fuel pumps?

From what i have read with my current set-up, 325rwhp seems in the ballpark.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:36 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Modular Head Shop makes an array of different speced cams from blower, n/a, etc. The owner really knows his stuff when it comes to heads and cams for the mod motor.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:44 PM
00infernoGT

I would say, forge bottom end (fly-cut pistons for ptv clearance), pi swap, P-51 intake, AFM F-82 cams. thats a 500 HP combo all day. and yes i have PI heads for sale. PM me if your interested.
Better to go ahead and forge pistons now so you wont have any problems down the road when u decide to go bigger and better

Last edited by 00infernoGT; 07-22-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:31 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jr50rider
i really would rather not get into the bottom end right now.
it would be a very good idea to forge the bottom end now vs. doing it after the motor pops. if you do it now you can clean out your whole block w/no problems, put new timing chain in...not to mention it would make things a whole lot easier if you dont have to clean out metal filings everywhere...just my 2 cents
Old 07-22-2010, 05:39 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jr50rider
i recently had my car tuned & dyno'd, 325hp to the wheels. Car is a 98 gt with a procharger P1SC 9lbs., pi intake, bbk throttle body. that is it for motor mods. I want to take it to the next level, which my tuner told me i need heads, cams, new MAF, injectors, etc.

The plan is to swap to PI heads. but i thought if i am at this point, i should get the correct cam. what cam should i go with or atleast manufacturer to contact?

Anyone have PI heads for sale?

The real questions are, how much power do you want to make and what is your budget. You start looking at heads, cams, forged bottom end (basically a completely new motor) its another $6000 or so on top of just cams, injectors, and a MAF. There are NPI specific blower cams out there that will get you another 75-100RWHP or so without any mods to the heads.

Quick Reply: Procharger...Which Cams?